New Phishing Scam: PowerSeller Email

Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
I got an email yesterday, checked the header to verify it was indeed a new phishing scam. Thought I'd pass it along. I had to take some of the images out since we are only allowed 8 per post, but this gives you the general idea of what the email looks like. I knew it was a hoax because I only sell a few items a month and you can't exactly qualify as a Powerseller on that. :roflmfao:

upgradeSIlver_logo-1.gif
upgradeSIlver_header-1.gif
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Dear eBay Member,
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You've been on a super sales streak and since you've done so well, it's time to recognize you for your efforts. You are PowerSeller Silver![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Congratulations![/FONT] joining the eBay Silver PowerSeller Program. Come and join us. When you join the PowerSeller program, you'll be able to receive more of the support you'll need for continued success. So, why wait? Join now!
subheader_whatAreTheBenefits-1.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
psIcon_50x25-1.gif
next to your User ID in recognition of your hard work.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PowerSeller Priority Support via email webform and phone support at Silver level and above.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exclusive offerings on the PowerSeller portal--check in frequently to see updated program benefits and special offers![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Discussion Board for you to network with other PowerSellers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Free PowerSeller Business Templates for business cards and letterhead.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Membership to the PowerSeller program is FREE. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Again, congratulations and best wishes for your continued success![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]eBay PowerSeller Team[/FONT]
If you agree with this rank please Become an eBay Power Seller within 24 hours
spacer.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You are receiving this communication because you are part of the PowerSeller program. This is a one time communication. There is no need to unsubscribe. eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers) in an email.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copyright © 2007 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.[/FONT]

Yep, I am a power seller and I got that one.

I also got one yesterday that looked like it came from an "ask the seller" link. The message simply stated, "I have been waiting patiently 5 days for my item....where is it? Please respond ASAP!

I just make it a rule to NEVER respond to an email unless it is in "my messages" on the ebay website itself, if it is not there then report it as a spoof.

Just remember that ebay will always address you by your name and not "dear ebay member". I got one about 3 weeks ago as well, but didnt respond to it since I no longer cared about being a Powerseller again (it means nothing except you sell a lot, big deal), but I guess I sold enough to get my PS status back. When I got the message thru ebay I responded to it and mine was legit.

I've gotten them several times and I already am a powerseller, so I figured it was spam. What's funny is they keep getting sent to my old email address that isn't even attached to my Ebay account anymore. I'm so sick of all the spam and hoax emails. UGH!

I'm such a lunatic about phishing emails that I actually unintentionally reported a LEGIT eBay email!!! I was so glad when they started the eBay message center after that. :blush:

^^^^

From Wikepedia - Phishing

In computing, phishing is a criminal activity using social engineering techniques.[1] Phishers attempt to fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. eBay and PayPal are two of the most targeted companies, and online banks are also common targets. Phishing is typically carried out by email or instant messaging,[2] and often directs users to give details at a website, although phone contact has been used as well.[3] Attempts to deal with the growing number of reported phishing incidents include legislation, user training, and technical measures.
The first recorded mention of the term phishing is on the alt.online-service.america-online Usenet newsgroup on January 2, 1996,[4] although the term may have appeared even earlier in the print edition of the hacker magazine 2600.[5]A phishing technique was described in detail as early as 1987, in a paper and presentation delivered to the International HP Users Group, Interex.[6] The term phishing is a variant of fishing,[7] probably influenced by phreaking,[8][9] and alludes to the use of increasingly sophisticated lures to "fish" for a user's financial information and passwords. The word may also be linked to leetspeak, in which ph is a common substitution for f.[10] The popular theory that it is a portmanteau of password harvesting[11] is an example of folk etymology.

What is considered a power seller, how many postive feedbacks do you need?

It doesn't matter how many feedback, it's the amt of $ you bring in every month. The lowest to become considered a power seller is at least $1,000 every month.I became power seller within about 3 months after I started selling with barely 50 feedback or so. :tup: