Get your money before or after you send it back?

throw rocks

Cocoa monster
Jul 15, 2007
I have returned an item before on ebay where the seller refunded my money before I shipped it back to them. I'm in the same situation again(was sent the wrong item) and they want me to send it back THEN they will refund me.

What can I do to make sure I get my money back? I will send with delivery confirmation, but if they say I did something to it or they never got it, I'll be in trouble. What steps should I take to make sure I get my money back???

I read eBay policy, buyer has to returned first then seller will issue a refund. Make sure you use EMS or another shipping method with tracking number and do in PayPal system.

i think that the item should be received before money is refunded. signature confirmation is also good too. as a seller, i wouldn't refund until i receive item.

You need to send the item back to get a refund, or the seller is left without the item & without the money so it's not fair. make sure you take pictures of the item before you send it back with the date correct on the digi cam because they could turn around and say that you didnt send the item back in its original condition.

Certified mail, right. But do I need to start anything on Paypal??? And I will take pictures before sending it back.

I guess the first seller spoiled me because I've never had to do a return before. But this is really crappy because they should have sent the right item in the first place...grrrr.

Certified mail, right. But do I need to start anything on Paypal??? And I will take pictures before sending it back.

I guess the first seller spoiled me because I've never had to do a return before. But this is really crappy because they should have sent the right item in the first place...grrrr.

It would be best to file a claim with paypal, stating the item was not as described. Then return the item with certified mail (not delivery confirmation because certified mail will be up longer). If the seller doesn't refund your money, issue a chargeback with your credit card company, showing them you paid for it, and showing them you returned.

If anything, it's best if you just return the package, and issue a chargeback, rather than getting a refund. The seller will only refund you the cost of the item minus shipping fees, while a chargeback will get you the full amount.

If anything, it's best if you just return the package, and issue a chargeback, rather than getting a refund. The seller will only refund you the cost of the item minus shipping fees, while a chargeback will get you the full amount.[/quote]

She said she would give me a refund for the original cost plus original S/H. But if I start a paypal claim won't that freeze all her accounts? She seems willing to work with me, I'm worried that might be drastic. But if I file a claim it should get cleared up pretty quick, I'm shipping it back tomorrow. Oooh, what a headache! But thank you for your help!

She said she would give me a refund for the original cost plus original S/H. But if I start a paypal claim won't that freeze all her accounts? She seems willing to work with me, I'm worried that might be drastic. But if I file a claim it should get cleared up pretty quick, I'm shipping it back tomorrow. Oooh, what a headache! But thank you for your help!

No, filing a claim shouldn't freeze her account. IF she doesn't respond to the claim, then they might freeze it. But it's your best bet to file the claim now rather than doing it later when it might be too late.

No, filing a claim shouldn't freeze her account. IF she doesn't respond to the claim, then they might freeze it. But it's your best bet to file the claim now rather than doing it later when it might be too late.

Filing a claim does freeze the funds for the amount of the transaction. If the seller has good feedback and has been willing to work with you, then I would probably just work with the seller first.

If you do want to involve paypal, I would just open a dispute but not escalate it to a claim yet. Filing a claim would actually take longer as you would need to wait for paypal to review the case first and hold onto the item until they tell you to return it.