I know they do it but I don't know why

Covered locks......

The exotics and white bags have them but I don't know why?

Croc, ostrich, white leathers - any others?

Hi

I'm so pleased you asked this question as I've always wondered.

Here are my early morning thoughts!

Perhaps with the exotics as you are paying a hefty price, or should I say a more hefty price, that Hermes, as a kindly gesture LOL, chuck in a bit extra and pop it on the lock? Honestly though I don't know why.

I think the white leather lock thing is so random. Or perhaps they know that there will be very visible smiley lock rub on white leather?

Experts rise and shine I'm curious now.

BW

Fleurs.

Covered locks......

The exotics and white bags have them but I don't know why?

Croc, ostrich, white leathers - any others?

Hi

I'm so pleased you asked this question as I've always wondered.

Here are my early morning thoughts!

Perhaps with the exotics as you are paying a hefty price, or should I say a more hefty price, that Hermes, as a kindly gesture LOL, chuck in a bit extra and pop it on the lock? Honestly though I don't know why.

I think the white leather lock thing is so random. Or perhaps they know that there will be very visible smiley lock rub on white leather?

Experts rise and shine I'm curious now.

BW

Fleurs.

That's true. I have seen white bags with the covered locks and without. It DOES seem random, Fleurs.

I love that when covered, they still have the "H" imprint on them! SO Hermes!

Thanks Fleurs and GF - so if not all white bags have the covered lock then when did they start it - or was it by style?

Are there any others - lizard perhaps?

I think it is to protect the leather.....

yup. the reason is as a lot of customers love to hang the lock onto the turnkey all the time which can lead to the famous smiley. while usually is not a huge problem with textured or normal leathers (as long as the lock is not overdipped in gold which happens ins 0,001%)it can do possible damage to exotic skins.
they started to add the cover to the white leather only a couple of years ago as the smiley could also become more evident on white leather as the metals could react with the dye (had something to do with the way they dye paint bleach )the leather for the solid white appereance

^^^And why is it that white leather always seems to mark grey or black???

i am sorry do you mean the yellowing or the greying over time.
the yellowing is a chemical reaction and is a problem every white leather faces over time

the greying is mostly evident with clemence (if i think of the same thing like you) as microdust setlles in between the bumps and therefore leads to a duller greyer appereance. but that can normally be cleaned