Please say a prayer for my son!

tlloveshim

Emmy!
O.G.
Mar 19, 2006
My 19 year old son was bucked off of our new horse tonight and landed on his left shoulder. He has torn 3 ligaments in his shoulder. Tomorrow we go to an orthopedic surgeon to see if he needs surgery. He has a decent job but just started so has no insurance. Please say a prayer for him. Thankfully he had his helmet on and the horse did not tample him. Thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts. (oh, and he's left handed and can't work right now.)

Oh, no!
tl, I pray that he recovers quickly and that he will not need surgery.

Did the horse get scared? That is my biggest fear with horses and that is why I have only been around them 2 or 3 times.

Oh my gosh that sounds scary! I hope he heals fast, and that no surgery is required! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family. My mom fell off a horse one too. She loves riding horses, but I now it's a very scary situation.

TL, my prayers to you and your son and whole family for a swift recovery and for the wisdom and knowledge of the surgeons who will evaluate him. XXXOO Pursegrrl.

Thanks, ladies! Just knowing you all are 'there' helps, you know? Isn't that weird?!

gr8heart: The horse didn't get spooked at all. It was weird, we rode him for about 2 hours the other day and he was perfect. Tonight my son saddled him up for a quick ride and again, he acted awesome while he was tacked up. When my son got on him, he started to walk which is a no-no. Horses should stand still once you mount and wait for your signal to move. My son was about to correct him (just pull back lightly on the reins) when the horse started bucking. Not just back feet though, all 4 feet off the ground like a wild horse. I have no idea what happened. A spooked horse might rear up on his back feet but this one was jumping with all 4 feet flying. We'll be selling him to someone that is willing to work this out of him. There's just so much to be thankful for though.

Oh, Tl, so sorry to hear of this. I'm a Paramedic and often work at sports standbys at rodeos out here in the outback, so definitely know how awful such a thing is to watch. Multiply that by 1 Million, I expect, to watch as a mother.

Hopefully the Dr gives you the news you want to hear. Being told you don't need surgery isn't always the 'better' news, as ruptured connective tissues surgically reattached may still heal faster than those left to heal naturally. Crossing fingers for best outcomes for your son. :heart:

Yep, having youth on his side will definitely help him.

So, Jared's all comfy with Vicadin and probably a bell by his side; how's Mum doing? I'd give you a big hug if I could!
squishug.gif

Thanks, ladies! Just knowing you all are 'there' helps, you know? Isn't that weird?!

gr8heart: The horse didn't get spooked at all. It was weird, we rode him for about 2 hours the other day and he was perfect. Tonight my son saddled him up for a quick ride and again, he acted awesome while he was tacked up. When my son got on him, he started to walk which is a no-no. Horses should stand still once you mount and wait for your signal to move. My son was about to correct him (just pull back lightly on the reins) when the horse started bucking. Not just back feet though, all 4 feet off the ground like a wild horse. I have no idea what happened. A spooked horse might rear up on his back feet but this one was jumping with all 4 feet flying. We'll be selling him to someone that is willing to work this out of him. There's just so much to be thankful for though.

Wow. How scary! You seem to know lots about horses and it seems like you and your son did not see this coming. You mentioned the horse is new, tl. Will you get another horse after you sell this one?
Again, I hope your son feels better soon!