Buying but not paying?

This might simply be my pet peeve, but I periodically see threads crop up that say something like:

"I just won this bag on ebay but want to check to see if it's authentic before I pay"

or

"I just paid for this bag, the seller didn't take good pics, I'm not sure if it's authentic - should I initiate a chargeback?"

We get SO peeved when sellers don't follow through with their auctions, but it seems like we (as a community) don't mind at all if buyers stiff sellers if there's any question of authenticity. Shouldn't authenticity questions be worked out BEFORE buying an item? It seems hypocritical to me, especially in cases where authenticity or a seller's true intentions (late shipment versus ripoff) are really up in the air. It's one thing to help keep people from buying fakes, but it seems that some buyers are getting so lackadaisical about getting boardies to review bags before bidding. This is not to say that help with eBay scams shouldn't be provided (a lot can't be predicted, I'm not saying they can), I'm just soooo tired of there being no personal responsibility for checking out an auction before you buy something. I think it's one of the reasons in general why it's getting harder to sell legit bags - buyers have no sense anymore that an auction is a binding contract in the same way it is for sellers. Caveat emptor!

wow, this is so true, you would think people would research before bidding. good post and can't wait to see responses..lol.. as sellers, there's a lot about NPB but, there are some here..

I've actually wondered if the buy-first-ask-later approach is because the buyer is worried that posting the auction here for an authenticity check will alert other bidders and increase competition for the bag.

^ they can always just post the photos or if it's a really hot item (like a superlow BIN) try PMing a member they trust. i like the advice of some authenticators in the various brand forums who tell people asking to not bid or get a second opinion first.

what the seller wants the buyer to know about the item is presented in the auction. if it's not satisfactory, then the buyer should NOT bid. if they do, they are essentially saying to the seller, yes I agree to your terms (and if that means it's a fake, well, buyer should've done research first!)....vanojr9, i completely agree with you. I think in our passion against fakes, we put that before everything else.

I agree all questions should be asked before bidding. Always check the Fb as well, and the fb they left for others.

If you are not sure don't bid or pay with paypal and go through the proper channels to get your money back if need be.

Well, the auction isn't a binding contract if the item is significantly not as described and/or illegal (e.g. a fake), of course...

I think it should go without saying that a buyer should always confirm authenticity BEFORE bidding/hitting BIN/making an offer; but I also think that it is a case of the lesser evil.

Annoying as it no doubt is for legit sellers, it is far better for a buyer, who has already made the mistake of bidding on/buying a possibly fake bag, to get authentication before paying, than it is for them to pay for a fake and then try to deal with the consequences. :yes:

The fake sellers and scammers make eBay a minefield and unfortunately, minefields aren't comfortable, or safe, places to be, for anybody involved (buyers and sellers alike).

what the seller wants the buyer to know about the item is presented in the auction. if it's not satisfactory, then the buyer should NOT bid. if they do, they are essentially saying to the seller, yes I agree to your terms (and if that means it's a fake, well, buyer should've done research first!)....vanojr9, i completely agree with you. I think in our passion against fakes, we put that before everything else.

It is illegal to sell fakes.

This illegality takes precedence over all other laws appertaining to online auction contracts, eBay rules and etiquette.

It is illegal to sell fakes.

This illegality takes precedence over all other laws appertaining to online auction contracts, eBay rules and etiquette.
Of course this is true, and just plain common sense.

However, eBay's own policies really state the opposite. Once you bid, you own it. And they go way out of their way to disclaim ANY responsibility by saying "buyer beware" every three words.

It's sad, but that's really the truth of eBay's stance on it. They care if it's fake right up until it's time to collect final value fees. Then? They couldn't care less--you bid on it, you own it, and you can fight it out with PayPal.

:rolleyes:

^ Yes, I know what you mean. :yes:

By (however inadvertently) encouraging buyers to pay for known fakes, just because they have 'won' the auction, eBay is, effectively, aiding and abetting criminal activity (i.e. the selling of counterfeits); which is illegal in itself!

I would encourage people, in a situation such as this, to use their common sense and to follow the law of the land, not eBay policy.