YSL Large Downtown bag in Black Patent

Nanaz

O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
Hi YSL ladies
I am usually at Balenciaga section and i have been thinking about getting the YSL Downtown bag.:yahoo: I am hoping some of you experts can help me with my decision. For those of you who own the Large Black patent bag do you think it is too much of a bag for patent leather? should i go for the Med size? i like the look of how the large size hangs down lower than your hip. :tup:I would really appreciate your help.:heart:

I own this bag, and I :heart: it! There are more pics here in this thread...
http://forum.purseblog.com/yves-saint-laurent/my-new-ysl-downtown-pics-154996.html

attachment.php

It is a large tote bag, not a "handbag" by any means. It definitely would be too big for some gals' tastes. But I've got a lot of medium-sized black bags already, and I wanted a large tote for work. And I think that the black patent is really going to "pop" against a black coat during the fall/winter. I preferred the more-vertical/longer look of the large Downtown vs. the wider look of the medium Downtown. Plus, I just like big bags; I've got the oversize Muse too!

How tall are you Nanaz? Have you tried on the large size IRL yet? I don't want to "talk" anybody into the large size, because either size is terrrific. You should get whatever YOU personally feel most comfortable with.

In response to your question, I got my Downtown in early July at the YSL boutique in Chevy Chase, Md. (basically across the street from Saks). The smooth black patent version came out for spring/summer 07 and is getting harder to find now, because I think YSL is doing the croco-embossed black patent for fall.

Attachments

• YSL Downtown.JPG
    YSL Downtown.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,410
^Actually, I think the straps are set a little lower on the large size than the medium size, so if I'm not mistaken you lose a bit of strap length on the large, maybe 1/2" or so.

However, I have a large and I personally prefer the shape of it. The extra 3" of length aren't a dramatic difference in size to me but I can see where it would be a deal-breaker for many.

I think the medium looks best with patents while the large is better with matte leathers, especially the drool-worthy croc embossed suede in anthracite.

Carrying each, I felt more comfortable with the medium. The large was just too big for me.

I would agree with Cosmopolitan, though, it really is up to you which size feels and looks best because they're so different.

I own this bag, and I :heart: it! There are more pics here in this thread...
http://forum.purseblog.com/yves-saint-laurent/my-new-ysl-downtown-pics-154996.html

attachment.php

It is a large tote bag, not a "handbag" by any means. It definitely would be too big for some gals' tastes. But I've got a lot of medium-sized black bags already, and I wanted a large tote for work. And I think that the black patent is really going to "pop" against a black coat during the fall/winter. I preferred the more-vertical/longer look of the large Downtown vs. the wider look of the medium Downtown. Plus, I just like big bags; I've got the oversize Muse too!

How tall are you Nanaz? Have you tried on the large size IRL yet? I don't want to "talk" anybody into the large size, because either size is terrrific. You should get whatever YOU personally feel most comfortable with.

In response to your question, I got my Downtown in early July at the YSL boutique in Chevy Chase, Md. (basically across the street from Saks). The smooth black patent version came out for spring/summer 07 and is getting harder to find now, because I think YSL is doing the croco-embossed black patent for fall.
Cosmo - i am 5'3" and 125lb. I did try the large size at NM the other day and it looked nice.:tup: I am just wondering if i decide to get the large patent, it won't be too much of a bag for patent leather (do i make sense?).:shrugs: I was going to get the large one in Cypress color but now i am leaning more towards the med Black patent one. :confused1:
btw, what is the difference between the calf and buffalo leather? :smile:

I think the medium looks best with patents while the large is better with matte leathers, especially the drool-worthy croc embossed suede in anthracite.

Carrying each, I felt more comfortable with the medium. The large was just too big for me.

I would agree with Cosmopolitan, though, it really is up to you which size feels and looks best because they're so different.
I think you read my mind. :yes:Patent looks the best in med and the large one looks better in leather. :tup:Do you know what is the difference between the calf and buffalo leather? :smile:

The YSL downtown in patent leather is gorgeous! :tup:

I would have purchased it instead of the Vichy downtown, but I already have a great Mby MJ black patent tote.

I did find the large downtowns a bit big, so I chose a medium.

Let us know what you get! :smile:

Cosmo - i am 5'3" and 125lb. I did try the large size at NM the other day and it looked nice.:tup: I am just wondering if i decide to get the large patent, it won't be too much of a bag for patent leather (do i make sense?).:shrugs: I was going to get the large one in Cypress color but now i am leaning more towards the med Black patent one. :confused1:
btw, what is the difference between the calf and buffalo leather? :smile:

Nanaz, Purplekicks is right in saying the med downtown is great in patent. According to the sa that worked with me, they had the last 2 black patent downtowns in the entire company. This was the YSL boutique in NM, at Fashion Island in Newport Beach CA. I purchased 1 of the last 2 and that was late last week. I hope you get yours soon before they run out if your heart is set on one of these, they're fabulous enough to last through the seasons(I mean, they came out w/ black patent during warmer weather right? Darker colours are a sure bet for the colder seasons after all). BTW, I absolutely loooove mine! I was a Celine and LV fan, but now I'm hooked on YSL because of this style! I even want the matching downtown luggage -- the travel carry-on tote and rolling suitcase in black patent/gold hardware-- which were featured in Vogue June 07! AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Also if they make downtown continental wallets and coin purses! HELP! :drool: