Hardworking skins

thejadewoman

Sep 18, 2006
I'm pretty new to the Hermes brand...but long enough to feel its magic. I've been into scarves, but now I'm ready to take the plunge into bags.

I like the idea of a 'Hermes bag legacy'...that I would collect Hermes bags that I'd lovingly pass on to my daughter...like I would my watches and jewellery.

To this end, I'd like to know what skins would be the ones that will last the distance? Now, whilst I'm not particularly 'rough' with my bags, I do use them as functional items and I don't intend to baby them much. So perhaps I should be careful with my choice of skins.

I understand box can be refurbished to almost new, and I note many vintage bags are in box. Sounds like that's a good choice for durability. And I love the look. Which other skins are durable and can be refurbished to last till the next generation?

Check out HG's leather samples in the reference section its really great to see what she writes about each leather. form their you can find what it best for you and long term.

Also i suggest you go to a store and see the leatherbook and bags that have been made so you can make the perfect decision.

I've read HG's excellent account on leathers.

Some of you have mentioned finer points on wear on different leathers. For example, someone (I think Eric Fam?) mentioned the straps on chevre birkin getting chaffed (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

Is chevre a durable leather that withstands wear well? Can it be refurbished easily?

Folks, please chime in with comments...thanks:heart:

i would help you out but i have no real experience on this topic, all of my H leather goods are under a year old and haven't had any issues (i woudl hope not!) i think generally it is the thicker and textured ones that are the most durable i.e. togo and epsom, box has withstood the test of time when you see vintage paces, but i personally don't love the patina look

I have never had a chevre piece that needed any repair or refurbishment...think of it this way, most Hermes bags are lined in chevre, and the lining isn't as thick as the chevre they would use on the exterior of a bag. So, if the lining of so many bags has stood the test of time for 30-50+ years, I would say it's a safe bet that a chevre bag will also be amazingly durable! On the plus side, also, is that gorgeous slight sheen that chevre has. Mmm, I love it.
I am also a fan of Fjord leather which is a bit lighter weight than many of the other heavily grained leathers like Togo. It's got more of a matte finish than Togo, and it's extremely durable and seems to be pretty resistant to the errant raindrop as well.
I do have a few vintage bags, and the oldest ones are Kelly bags in Box leather. One is from the 1950s and still looks wonderful; the other is from the 1960s and is also still in great shape though not quite as well-cared-for as the older one. Both have had refurbishments from Hermes and come back looking truly quite amazing.

To be honest, all Hermes leathers are among the finest in the world, and made with the utmost care. If you treat your bags with respect (though it's not necessary to "baby" them, trust me I don't!) as it sounds like you will I think you will have some wonderful heirlooms to pass along.