House was robbed, my entire bag collection is gone

When we filed our claim, because of the large size of the loss, they sent an investigator. I didn’t need pics of me wearing the items but gave a few anyhow just to make sure there were no issues.
I had been lucky and just happened to have taken a pic of my closet about a week before, with all my bags because my cute cat had found a comfy spot to nap in my Chanel’s lol

As we replaced each item, I made copies of receipts since they fade, and wrote a note on each as to exactly which item it was, they’re all filed in our home office. As we’ve accrued the replacements and any additional valuable gifts, we’ve updated insurance with the price of our “collection” so it will be adequately covered again. Hopefully we will never need to file a claim again, it’s traumatic.
They did offer a small amount towards beefing up our security as well so we’re very prepared if it were to occur again!
Do you mind sharing a bit in terms of pricing for this coverage? Is it for example essentially a percentage of the jewelry/handbag collection value and any deductibles? Any additional insight you can provide would be incredibly helpful for everyone :biggrin:. If you feel more comfortable PMing the info instead, that is fine too :smile:

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

3 nights ago, my family's home was broken into. They completely ransacked our home. Anything they could get their hands on, they pillaged through and threw everything on the floor. Its going to take days just to clean the mess. It feels like they were in the home for hours. Luckily nobody was home so we are all safe but my bag collection was not safe from these burglars.

They took everything. I am still flustered and trying to make sense of everything - I am devastated and cannot stop crying. I have been collecting bags for 17 years, a lot of the time I saved up for my purchases and a lot of those bags/items hold sentimental value.

I made a list of items they took. So far I have 21 items on my list but I'm sure there are more like some CL shoes and Chanel boots/sneakers but I just can't think straight right now.

They took:

Hermes Birkin 35 Togo Blue Zanzibar SHW
Chanel So Black Chevron Jumbo
Chanel So Black Boy Medium
Chanel Boy Black and White Trim Medium
Chanel Vintage XL Flap Black GHW
Chanel Vintage Caviar Tote Black GHW
Chanel Cambon Bowler Black and White
Dior Lady Dior Black SHW
Fendi 2 Jours Tote Black
Prada Saffiano Tote Black and Blue
Valentino Rockstud Tote Blue
Saint Laurent Sac Du Jour Blue
Alexander McQueen Tote Black with Silver Skull
Chanel Blue Caviar Zip Around Wallet
Chanel Camellia Card Holder Black
Chanel Classic Quilted Lambskin Wallet Black
Chanel Chainlink Statement Necklace Silver
Chanel Quilted CC Belt
Chanel Skinny Green Belt
Rolex Watch
Hermes Twillys

They had all the time in the world because they literally took out all of the stuffing from the bags.

I don't even know what to do. We spoke with police and there is a report - they suggested we speak with neighbors for video footage. I spoke with the neighbors but I am not hopeful that there will be any footage so these people are just going to get away with this and it breaks my heart. I know its just material things but its still such a violation and I don't know how I am going to recover from this.

I was thinking of checking online to see if any of these items pop up for sale but Ive never had anything like this happen to me so if anyone has any advice on what to do please share. I had to call my banks and let them know in case they try anything because they had access to everything in the home. This is actually one of my worst nightmares and it came true.

My dad was kinda encouraging me to not open a claim with insurance because he says they will hardly cover the cost of the bags and then will increase the insurance and might not cover the home anymore. He very recently had to file a claim at his business and that's what happened to him. Does anyone know any more info about home insurance covering the theft? We have Mercury.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to share because I need some support to help get me through this.
I am so sorry to hear about this, I can feel your pain. At least you and your family are safe.

We had our house burglarized about 9 years ago, and they took all of our expensive gold jewelry, it was about 25K worth. We had other expensive stuff and the designer bags & shoes, but they were only looking for gold and cash nothing else. My insurance paid very little money for our loss, but they didn't increase insurance, they told us we need to have a separate policy for jewelry. We can replace the jewelry, but the thing is that there was sentimental value attached to most of the items, so it was so sad. We felt so violated for our privacy, I couldn't sleep peacefully for months in our own home, we changed all the locks in our house right away, because we read online that they do come back, we got a new security system. We live in a nice neighborhood where people don't lock their doors but after what happened to us, they all started locking their doors.

I wish you good luck with your insurance. For sure, get a good home security system, it isn't that expensive. And again, I am sorry this happened to you.

Reactions: onlyk
Get barking dogs will certainly help, not joking, dogs hearing is much better than humans.

I think time has changed a lot, 20 years ago, we didn't lock our doors either, now, most of people in our neighborhood have installed security cameras even we live in a super secure neighborhood also.

Reactions: Privik
Get barking dogs will certainly help, not joking, dogs hearing is much better than humans.

I think time has changed a lot, 20 years ago, we didn't lock our doors either, now, most of people in our neighborhood have installed security cameras even we live in a super secure neighborhood also.
Yes, barking dogs keeps the burglars away for sure, but my husband and son are allergic :sad:

I am so, so sorry this happened to you. What a violation and must feel so heartbreaking! I am very glad you and your family are safe, but I can't even imagine the shock and sadness of such a loss. Sending love to you. :heart:

I am so sorry to hear that. Did they take any jewelry or just bags? Although the area I live in is often patrolled by plain clothes police, some burglars still sneak in. Many people in my area install security cameras as these burglars only target those houses without them. A few weeks ago, a family friend's neighbors' house was robbed because they didn't have security cameras.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

3 nights ago, my family's home was broken into. They completely ransacked our home. Anything they could get their hands on, they pillaged through and threw everything on the floor. Its going to take days just to clean the mess. It feels like they were in the home for hours. Luckily nobody was home so we are all safe but my bag collection was not safe from these burglars.

They took everything. I am still flustered and trying to make sense of everything - I am devastated and cannot stop crying. I have been collecting bags for 17 years, a lot of the time I saved up for my purchases and a lot of those bags/items hold sentimental value.

I made a list of items they took. So far I have 21 items on my list but I'm sure there are more like some CL shoes and Chanel boots/sneakers but I just can't think straight right now.

They took:

Hermes Birkin 35 Togo Blue Zanzibar SHW
Chanel So Black Chevron Jumbo
Chanel So Black Boy Medium
Chanel Boy Black and White Trim Medium
Chanel Vintage XL Flap Black GHW
Chanel Vintage Caviar Tote Black GHW
Chanel Cambon Bowler Black and White
Dior Lady Dior Black SHW
Fendi 2 Jours Tote Black
Prada Saffiano Tote Black and Blue
Valentino Rockstud Tote Blue
Saint Laurent Sac Du Jour Blue
Alexander McQueen Tote Black with Silver Skull
Chanel Blue Caviar Zip Around Wallet
Chanel Camellia Card Holder Black
Chanel Classic Quilted Lambskin Wallet Black
Chanel Chainlink Statement Necklace Silver
Chanel Quilted CC Belt
Chanel Skinny Green Belt
Rolex Watch
Hermes Twillys

They had all the time in the world because they literally took out all of the stuffing from the bags.

I don't even know what to do. We spoke with police and there is a report - they suggested we speak with neighbors for video footage. I spoke with the neighbors but I am not hopeful that there will be any footage so these people are just going to get away with this and it breaks my heart. I know its just material things but its still such a violation and I don't know how I am going to recover from this.

I was thinking of checking online to see if any of these items pop up for sale but Ive never had anything like this happen to me so if anyone has any advice on what to do please share. I had to call my banks and let them know in case they try anything because they had access to everything in the home. This is actually one of my worst nightmares and it came true.

My dad was kinda encouraging me to not open a claim with insurance because he says they will hardly cover the cost of the bags and then will increase the insurance and might not cover the home anymore. He very recently had to file a claim at his business and that's what happened to him. Does anyone know any more info about home insurance covering the theft? We have Mercury.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to share because I need some support to help get me through this.
Oh no! That is so horrific! I'm so sorry and I feel sad with you! :sad: My mother has Mercury insurance on her home. When I was completing her application I remember one of the questions was if she had designer handbags. I marked no on her application as she has none. That makes me wonder if it will be difficult to get your money returned on your bags if they are not specifically covered on your policy? Uuugh. I'm not sure where you are located but I would call consignment shops, pond shops, Fashionphile, etc to report to them what happened and if they get any shadey people coming in to sell purses to report it. Perhaps leave your number with them. Do you have the authentication codes on your bags? I would personally keep your eyes open on Fashionphile's website to see if you see any bag that looks like yours pops up. If you have the auth code you can call Fashionphile to have them verify. They should have the individual's info that sold the bag so perhaps the police can track them that way. Gosh that's heart breaking. :sad: I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm curious, do you have a house alarm? It's scary if they by passed your alarm. Gosh, how does one secure their bags at home so they don't get stolen? I know there is a woman on Etsy name Donna that sells garment bags that hang in your closet. There are shelves built in and you place them on the shelves inside the bags. People will assume it's clothes vs hand bags. Gosh I'm so sorry. I hope you get your bags back or at least get your money for them AND that these evil crooks are CAUGHT! My heart breaks for you :sad:

Reactions: tvxqgirl