Cartier disputing online return

I also live in Colorado, and we used to have a boutique in Denver and one in Aspen. Not sure why they went away. The one in Denver was always busy (in Cherry Creek mall). I had to order all my Cartier pieces online, but luckily there weren't any issues.
Hello fellow Coloradan! I remember the one in Cherry Creek mall. I always thought it was busy as well. Strange that it closed. I have only purchased one time online and it went well thankfully!

I'd take the position that it must have been tampered with in shipping on the way back. You did not see those large, noticeable scratches when you tried it on. It would have been hard to miss that when evaluating a new piece you were going to consider keeping or not. They should make an insurance claim with their shipper or use their own insurance, but you will not be responsible for this, thank you, that is all.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Cartier have lost the plot. I have stopped shopping with them. They are behaving like a small business rather than the billion dollar business that they are. For the amounts they charge they should say nothing and melt it down and remake if it’s not to their standards. I hope it works out in your favour. This is ludicrous.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Cartier have lost the plot. I have stopped shopping with them. They are behaving like a small business rather than the billion dollar business that they are. For the amounts they charge they should say nothing and melt it down and remake if it’s not to their standards. I hope it works out in your favour. This is ludicrous.
Agree 100%!

I agree 100%! They will never lose out.

This is insane. I'm so sorry! Ugh.

I received my new earrings from Cartier online a week or two ago. One of the backings came broken. It is stuck in the open position on one side. I called customer service. They were nice but said they don't have "extra parts" so they can't send a new backing. And the earrings aren't in stock anywhere in the US so they can't exchange them. They ultimately told me to go to a store to see if they can be of more help. Which I haven't had time to do b/c there isn't one nearby. Fast forward, I completed their customer service survey and agreed to be contacted. I then got a generic response that if I need help to contact them because they value their customers so much. Infuriating.

They also put a "can't be returned if this tag is removed" tag in the box but it wasn't attached to anything. It has a lovely metal C symbol so it was just bouncing around inside the box during shipment which really made me mad because it probably scratched the earrings. I decided not to look closely as I don't want to know.

I hope this works out for you! I have faith in AMEX! I've had to place claims with my cc before and it's all worked out.

I have made several online purchases over the years as there is no boutique near me. Twice I have had items become dislodged in the box during shipping and arrive loose in the box, both got deep scratches because of this. Once back in 2011 it was a love cuff and in 2020 it was JUC earrings. The scratch on the earring that was loose was right on the nail head.

Both times I called immediately and got an exchange without any issues but I did have to wait a couple of weeks for the replacement earrings to come back in stock.

Update:
AMEX gave us the credit but the dispute will take weeks. So it doesn’t sound like the credit is 100% guaranteed yet. Cartier took the stance of “the bracelet doesn’t belong to them” and they want to send it back and we’re taking the stance of “we’re not accepting it back.”
Be persistent! I had this issue with a ring once that I refused to accept from FedEx but then I became really concerned that they would lose it and I would be out the money and the ring. I was persistent and involved consumer protection and eventually I won. Don't give up.

I’m not really sure because my husband spoke with AMEX since it was his card. I think they do follow up and hear Cartier’s side. So right now AMEX isn’t making us pay the Cartier charge for the upcoming AMEX statement but sounds like they could re-instate it if our version doesn’t make sense.

I’m not really sure because my husband spoke with AMEX since it was his card. I think they do follow up and hear Cartier’s side. So right now AMEX isn’t making us pay the Cartier charge for the upcoming AMEX statement but sounds like they could re-instate it if our version doesn’t make sense.
I believe that's correct. Different card and not Cartier but we received a credit but were told not to get rid of any evidence for (I forget the period of time) and they have 90 days to issue a decision. Something like that and they could charge it again. But they didn't.

Reactions: Colettebear
ColetteBear!!!

This is exactly what happened to me couple of years ago. Cartier accused me of scratching up the love necklace even tho I literally tried it on once and returned it. For over a month they would not refund so we called several times and they would tell us nothing about the “damage”. They just returned it with the box fully open and the necklace hanging outside the box with a note saying they will no it accept it due to the damages.

Long story short, I called AMEX and AMEX took care of everything. For that alone, I don’t mind the hefty membership fee they charge.

Ladies—. PLEASE BE AWARE of these cheap tricks that Cartier pulls. When possible, only purchase from the store. If not, document all your purchases with pics and videos and report every scratch, however minor, to the company right away.

I will NEVER purchase online again.

Any update @Colettebear ? I called my boutique (in another city) to start a return and I mentioned I saw two slight imperfections on the Love bracelet when held under harsh lighting. The SA I spoke to first (not my usual) said they would not be able to sell it if there were any marks. I mentioned I understood that but my point was the marks were there upon receipt. I told her I did an unboxing video with the date (Mother's Day) to prove this. We shall see if the return is approved...