What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

I feel like there’s a huge disconnection within Hermes. On one side, there’s the craftsmanship and simple, elegant designs. On another, there’s Hermes feeding an algorithm the H, CDC, medor, horse, chaîne d’ancre, and bridle (and the list continues) motifs and asking it to make new permutations that just don’t make much sense in my head. Some designer at some point must have also asked an AI tool what are all the possible ways of putting different amounts of diamonds on a H Heure watch.

I just do not quite see how the looks on the runway make sense with the looks offered in store and online like below. To me, the runway looks feel like the Hermes I have known and loved for decades. It almost seems like Hermes should just make a diffusion line like Polo Ralph Lauren and Purple Label like they had with Hermes sport a long time ago.
View attachment 5780833View attachment 5780834
Yup. And, unpopular opinion, dior t shirts, made of linen cotton blend, are nicer
come to think of it, chanel t shirts are nicer too

Forgive me for this is quite a long one! I remember way back in 2007 I went to London with my Mum to go to Buckingham Palace, as a tourist not a guest LOL. And afterwards we went to Harrods. Whilst there I finally plucked up courage to venture into the Hermes department, and was greeted by a very lovely lady who was happy to show me all the things I asked to look at, I remember holding a black leather PM Picotin, which I believe the price was around £950. I then asked to look at scarves and was shown all the ranges from 90cm down to the 45cm. I ended up choosing a lovely 45cm scarf which the lovely SA showed me how to do different knots with it. And when I paid she gave my Mum a few perfume samples. We had a lovely time. Anyway this little encounter sealed my new Hermes obsession, and I knew I had to have a bag at some point. I used to meet up with some PF members back then and we would go shopping in NBS store, just wander in and look at things all over the store, and eventually one of us or a few of us would buy something. i would even go on my own and just wander in to the NBS store or maybe the Selfridges H bit. I did have to hunt for my Evelyne which I was able to get in the end in Paris thanks to a lovely PF member, back in the day. My next bag purchase was the black PM Picotin, It was no longer 950 pounds though! which I bought in Selfridges after just walking in and looking around, and being served by a wonderful SA who was happy to show me the bags I wanted to look at. And i do believe that was my last in store purchase. And it was a wonderful experience.
So my thing is, after reading through the London Boutique thread and reading about all the hoops one has to jump through now even to just get into a store and once in, it doesn't sound like you can just wander around anymore, well it gives me the ICK!!! Shopping shouldn't be this hard, I think it's crazy. Even if I had bucket loads of money I don't think I could be arsed with it. I don't want to work hard to spend my money, I've worked hard to earn it. So I know I am very very (never say never) unlikely to ever go into an Hermes store ever again. I just can't be arsed. Which is a shame as I used to enjoy looking at the scarves and selecting something, and scarves are about the only thing I would contemplate buying now. so it'll be online for me from now on. And that makes me sad as its just not the same as a lovely carefree in store experience. So my unpopular opinion is, it just ain't worth it...
I literally was coming onto this thread to write almost the same thing (if I could write half as well as you do!). I spent many thousands of dollars with H through the years and have lovely bags, scarves and other items to show for it. All purchases were with my SA and were a fun experience. Even took my mom in and the three of us had a great time finding her a bday gift. But sadly I am no longer interested in H. The popularity, the ridiculous website, the ghosting by SA's (mine ghosted me because I stopped big spending during covid), the lottery to purchase at FSH, it's all just not okay with me. H and I are on a break, we'll see if we get back together, but right now, my unpopular opinion is H is too popular for me and I need something a bit more unique and personal.

Reading the posts by @littleblackbag and @LJNLori I feel I identify with their sentiments and I also feel a little sad too.
I cant help feeling that the widespread awareness of Hermes as an uber Luxe brand via its popularity on instagram, with influencers and as tabloid fodder with prices often mentioned is a real turn off.
I love my SA and love some of the product but dont actually enjoy going into any boutique other than my home-store these days to look at stock because they're such a zoo.
regarding wearing Hermes bags in particular, I know people say 'who cares what others think' and to a degree I do agree.
I wear what i want, always have.
I'm not a shrinking violet when it comes to dressing up!
BUT..Living and working in London using public transport I dont feel comfortable having things or wearing things that are obviously 'expensive'.
Therefore the newish awareness of Hermes bags means that I reach for my Kelly's and Jypsiere for 'special occasions' as opposed to daily use due to the signature fastening.
My unpopular opinion is the widespread awareness of the expense and exclusivity of the brand is off-putting for some of the brands most loyal and long-term fans.

My unpopular opinion on boxes is that (unlike VCA) it's great that Hermes boxes everything. Many Luxury companies are ditching their iconic packaging under the pretence of 'sustainability' when it's just about margins.

I totally agree there should be an option to box or not to box, to give an H orange bag or an anonymous white one. We have to be very careful what we wish for, because all these companies are just looking for a way to use our own words against us.

When gifting or if someone is new to H, the box, ribbon and packaging generally and very specifically is very important not only to the luxury experience but to the memory. It is also an important part of resale (I have no idea why, but it just is).

There are plenty of people that just want a single clic clac, tie or scarf and they're done. I don't think they should be short-changed out of packaging because we (me included) have a ridiculous number of boxes. I have no idea why I hang on to them either.

My unpopular opinion is that there’s almost nothing to buy. I don’t want my home to look like a H showroom and I don’t collect scarves. There’s better fine jewelry elsewhere, the shoes are inferior to any number of “proper” shoe designers (both of which have become so captured by H logo equivalents that they have become unbelievably repetitious, season after season) and the RTW hasn’t been to my taste recently. I don’t want to be first line forced into mindless spending and consumption of things I don’t really want just to be able to buy the things I do want. (yes, I know, resellers…. :biggrin:)

I literally was coming onto this thread to write almost the same thing (if I could write half as well as you do!). I spent many thousands of dollars with H through the years and have lovely bags, scarves and other items to show for it. All purchases were with my SA and were a fun experience. Even took my mom in and the three of us had a great time finding her a bday gift. But sadly I am no longer interested in H. The popularity, the ridiculous website, the ghosting by SA's (mine ghosted me because I stopped big spending during covid), the lottery to purchase at FSH, it's all just not okay with me. H and I are on a break, we'll see if we get back together, but right now, my unpopular opinion is H is too popular for me and I need something a bit more unique and personal.
I remember back in 2012 when I got my Picotin, when I went to both the Bond Street store and the Selfridges boutique, that I was the only person in there (other than SA obviously). Bet that doesn't happen often now. It was a Tuesday morning though, so maybe it does!

I went to H in 2019 and was shown a black Picotin 18 as a walk-in … bet that doesn’t happen anymore.
Same. I walked into the boutique for the first time in late December of 2019 (right before covid) and got a black Evelyne 29 and a tressage au galop black and white strap to go with it! 1) I literally had $0 prespend. 2) They were both in stock!! They also had a bunch of bags in the display cases that you could try on. I remember seeing multiple 24/24 and Picotin bags. Oh if I only knew then.....

My unpopular opinion is that there’s almost nothing to buy. I don’t want my home to look like a H showroom and I don’t collect scarves. There’s better fine jewelry elsewhere, the shoes are inferior to any number of “proper” shoe designers (both of which have become so captured by H logo equivalents that they have become unbelievably repetitious, season after season) and the RTW hasn’t been to my taste recently. I don’t want to be first line forced into mindless spending and consumption of things I don’t really want just to be able to buy the things I do want. (yes, I know, resellers…. :biggrin:)
Sadly, I am also reaching this conclusion. I like a few of the homeware items but I only need so many luxe plates. A few pieces of RTW are nice but I don't need a whole wardrobe. I already have too many scarves and shoes for a lifetime, both generally and from H. As much as I adore beautiful new things, I am trying very hard to be more thoughtful in my purchases because I just have too much already. That's a very hard admission to make :lol:

Don't hate, but I also can't bring myself to buy pre-loved yet, and I refuse to fuel the resale game because reselling is exactly why I can't buy what I want, from where I want, in the first place.

Consequently, if high pre-spend continues to be required for any more H bags from the boutique, I am out. I will keep visiting my local store because I love talking to my SA and seeing all of the products in person, but if my lack of $$$ means I drop down their list quickly, that's just the way it is.