House was robbed, my entire bag collection is gone

How terrible of a thing to experience. It's hard to make a blanket statement that your insurance policy premiums will increase or be cancelled if you make a claim. That doesn't happen with car insurance even with one car accident regardless of who is at fault. Definitely seek out the expertise of your insurance agent as all policies vary. You can seek advice without officially filing a claim.

As others have stated, pass along the Serial numbers to authorities and consignment shops if you have them. You should be able to retrieve them from the boutique as your purchases will be in their system. Keep an eye out on ebay, poshmark, mercari, craigslist. It wouldn't hurt to send a list of your items with descriptions and serial numbers to Fashionphile, Vestaire, and other larger online resellers.

Hope that the love, support, and commiseration you are receiving here, albeit virtually, will help bring you peace. Please keep us posted with any updates :heart:

Oh, I am so sorry. How awful. You’ve received a lot of good advice here and I thank you for sharing your experience. When I see a bag for resale I never think it could be stolen merchandise. What is the world coming to? Our current insurance company will not/not insure my bags. My husband and I have investigated switching companies. This reminds me that we need follow through and make the change.

Oh, I am so sorry. How awful. You’ve received a lot of good advice here and I thank you for sharing your experience. When I see a bag for resale I never think it could be stolen merchandise. What is the world coming to? Our current insurance company will not/not insure my bags. My husband and I have investigated switching companies. This reminds me that we need follow through and make the change.

We had to get a separate policy, ours is through AIG and they were fabulous when we were robbed. I highly recommend getting your luxury items (bags, jewelry, art, etc) insured.

Reactions: forgetmenot301
We had to get a separate policy, ours is through AIG and they were fabulous when we were robbed. I highly recommend getting your luxury items (bags, jewelry, art, etc) insured.
Thank you! My jewelry is insured but our insurance company wouldn’t covert handbags. I tried Chubb but they won’t write a separate policy just for the bags. That is, in part, why we looked at changing insurers. I will check AIG.

Oh my, Please let us know, your out come.
This prompts me to want list serial no.s, and photograph bags, I know my jewelry is insured separately, but bags?

Soooo devastating for all of your family, thanking God you’re all are ok.

Reactions: MomMomx3
Are you in California by any chance? I went through some drama and missing jewelry and a friend told me that CA has very strict pawn/secondhand resale laws if you can report serial numbers.

Oh my, Please let us know, your out come.
This prompts me to want list serial no.s, and photograph bags, I know my jewelry is insured separately, but bags?

Soooo devastating for all of your family, thanking God you’re all are ok.
I’ve made a list of all my bags with serial/chip numbers and have photos of the bags and their serial/chip numbers. I have also put an Apple Air Tag in each bag. In a Medium CF it fits perfectly in the lipstick slot. A thief may no grow wise to this. Not a perfect solution but something.

I’ve made a list of all my bags with serial/chip numbers and have photos of the bags and their serial/chip numbers. I have also put an Apple Air Tag in each bag. In a Medium CF it fits perfectly in the lipstick slot. A thief may no grow wise to this. Not a perfect solution but something.

Good idea. Another one is to make sure you have photos of you in possession/wearing of the insured items. Some insurers ask for this.

Reactions: MomMomx3
So heartbreaking! If nothing else, at least other members might think of better security and insurance coverage for valuable bag and jewelry collections like the OP had. Often it's not even something people think about. It's easier than ever to install security cameras and electronic locks and safes in a home now and some of it might give you a discount on your insurance premium.

This is so smart thank you!!!

When we filed our claim, because of the large size of the loss, they sent an investigator. I didn’t need pics of me wearing the items but gave a few anyhow just to make sure there were no issues.
I had been lucky and just happened to have taken a pic of my closet about a week before, with all my bags because my cute cat had found a comfy spot to nap in my Chanel’s lol

As we replaced each item, I made copies of receipts since they fade, and wrote a note on each as to exactly which item it was, they’re all filed in our home office. As we’ve accrued the replacements and any additional valuable gifts, we’ve updated insurance with the price of our “collection” so it will be adequately covered again. Hopefully we will never need to file a claim again, it’s traumatic.
They did offer a small amount towards beefing up our security as well so we’re very prepared if it were to occur again!

So sorry to hear what happend and I am happy that you are save. I read online about Cartier that you can let them know if one of your Love bracelets gets stolen. So if in some shop somebody would appear with that piece and that exact serial number they get an allert. Maybe Chanel and the other brands have a similar system?