Yellowing - Do white bags turn yellow with time? How do you prevent this?

This us an older thread but I have had this coco handle for a little less than a year and it is yellowing on the inside I just noticed it. Does anyone know why this happens? Can you fix it?

Attachments

• A7570380-0BED-4EB9-AF59-DA3D735128D0.jpeg
    A7570380-0BED-4EB9-AF59-DA3D735128D0.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 144
This us an older thread but I have had this coco handle for a little less than a year and it is yellowing on the inside I just noticed it. Does anyone know why this happens? Can you fix it?
My SA said one of her customers returned a white classic flap for turning yellow and they sent it off to Chanel but they couldn’t do anything to fix it. She actively discourages customers to buy white bags for this reason. I still want one though!

• Sad
Reactions: luxsal
I just bought a vintage white flap (at a pretty good price and it's still all puffy!) and the listing said there was discoloration - from the photos it looked not bad but once I received it, there's a really big difference between the part of the bag that's covered and part that's exposed. I never knew until I looked it up that white leather can yellow over time. It makes the bag look off-white instead of white.

Does that happen to all white vintage bags? Why would anyone buy vintage in white then? And most importantly, is there a way to fix it (I tried rubbing with non-alcoholic baby wipes already) without repaint??

The part under the flap and the part not under the flap have such a contrast that it's almost ombre :sad:

It’s very normal for a lot of white bags even newer bags not just vintage. From my knowledge the only thing that can help is having the bag professionally recoloured but I have no personal experience of this

I have an ivory Chanel but it's a tote, any yellowing is undetectable because there's no flap.

It's always a problem with white. Oxidation causes the yellowing. Leather-good's manufacturers traditionally used to only go as light as off-white, ivory and cream for that reason, yellowing is in keeping. Ironic thing is, had your white bag been enjoyed and used more the bag would be more of a unified colour.

Unless you get it professionally repainted (which can alter the texture) I would carry as is and just enjoy.

If it bothered you I would have returned immediately. Since you‘ve already baby wiped it, just enjoy. I think the ombre effect is very cool. Personally, if you want a brand new look, I wouldn’t go vintage. Even well preserved vintage has a patina of age. JMO

ETA: some of my moms old Chanels yellowed due to storage in plastic. leather and clothing need air circulation

It’s normal for white. I had an off white Chanel and over time, I felt like it it also had some discoloration. It wasn’t noticeable but I just felt like it wasn’t as crisp as when I got it. Eventually resold since it bugged me a little and I hesitated wearing white for fear of color transfer.

Reactions: Cali2HI
I just bought a vintage white flap (at a pretty good price and it's still all puffy!) and the listing said there was discoloration - from the photos it looked not bad but once I received it, there's a really big difference between the part of the bag that's covered and part that's exposed. I never knew until I looked it up that white leather can yellow over time. It makes the bag look off-white instead of white.

Does that happen to all white vintage bags? Why would anyone buy vintage in white then? And most importantly, is there a way to fix it (I tried rubbing with non-alcoholic baby wipes already) without repaint??

The part under the flap and the part not under the flap have such a contrast that it's almost ombre :sad:
Yes, I would imagine all vintage bags turn yellow. I don't know why anyone would buy a light colored vintage. Is yours lambskin? I bought a light beige in lambskin back in the early 2000's. I stored it carefully for a few years (small children at the time) when I pulled it out it had yellowed all around the flap. I was not happy, and I was told there wasn't anything they could do because I had left it stored for so long. The chain looked great though. Lesson learned to never buy light colored lambskin and clean them before storage.

I feel it is such a luck of the draw if you manage to get a white Chanel bag that will keep white through the years. I have been tempted to add to my collection but just the thought of it yellowing makes me say no every time. Every summer, I do a mental gymnastics in my head and remind myself that it is best to not own. It is very hard to do as I find carrying a white bag is very crisp and refreshing looking especially in the late Spring and Summer months. I know there are a few TPF members that own white Chanel bags (new or vintage) and it looks brand new to this day. While others, have had the misfortune of that dreaded 'yellowing' of their white bag. Imo, unless you have climate control in your home, it is best to manage your expectations of owning a white Chanel bag either vintage or new.

It happens to the new white flaps too. I have always wanted a white classic flap but have been put off by the yellowing stories. An SA at Chanel even told me not to buy one because she had a lady who came in and complained that her white classic flap had yellowed; they sent it off to Chanel and there was nothing that could be done about it. I wonder if having them in storage and not being used makes the matter worse. I had a black Boy bag which discoloured and became almost metallic/bronzey from being kept in a dust bag in my wardrobe and not being used much over a period of about a year or two. I bought some white Hermes Orans recently and I’m worried that they will discolour too as it’s likely that I will only wear them during holidays abroad. Can anyone comment on this? I know it’s not the Hermes forum but maybe white shoes/sandals in general!

Hello,

I was quite upset about the stains on my Chanel classic white flap. 😔 When I visited the store to inquire about treating it, they unfortunately said no. They offered a refund in credit instead. I purchased the bag in 2022, and now its price has probably increased by around USD 2,100 or more. I'm upset that I'll have to pay extra to buy another small flap. I'm wondering if it's worth it. Should I keep my bag or let it go? What would you do in my situation?

• Sad