Distance Sale

Did you not have to pay sales tax since you are in a state with no Goyard? I wonder what the process is if you are in a state with a Goyard, whether the premium applies on top of sales tax.
I made a distance purchase today in NY and I reside outside the city. Just the local sales tax plus $60 shipping. TG no additional premium on top of that. It’s already high enough!

Reactions: sammix3
This transaction was from a boutique inside NM.
I don't think that makes a difference though.

Perhaps the premium % could be related to local tax.
So if anyone is shipping it to somewhere else, would be interested to know if that % fluctuates.

I always thought even the $30 shipping was silly as these are pricy purchases as is and shipping should be part of the service.
But that $60 now... I know it's only a fraction of the total money being spent but it sits odd with me. Oof

All in all, buying in-person may be the best option at this point.
I assumed it’s the Chicago NM, I made some purchases in late March and early April. I was charged $30 shipping but no sales tax since I live in a state without a store so at least the shipping cost has changed. I feel icky about luxury brands charging customers extra for shipping cost. It will be disappointing if they add a premium for distance sale cause I just started purchasing and am eyeing a few more pieces.

IMO this new distance sale policy is Goyard doubling down on their ‘no online sales’ policy. They want to remain exclusive for their in-boutique clientele and I respect that. I am fortunate to have reasonable access to two boutiques but if I did not, I would likely still pay the premium in lieu of sales tax. I would not pay the premium plus sales tax, however.

Higher shipping is a sign of the times. Shipping an insured high dollar item is expensive.

Last edited:
IMO this new distance sale policy is Goyard doubling down on their ‘no online sales’ policy. They want to remain exclusive for their in-boutique clientele and I respect that. I am fortunate to have reasonable access to two boutiques but if I did not, I would likely still pay the premium in lieu of sales tax. I would not pay the premium plus sales tax, however.

Higher shipping is a sign of the times. Shipping an insured high dollar item is expensive.
I'm sure shipping will escalate relative to economic times... but also seeing and knowing what corporations (which I doubt Goyard can call themselves as mom&pop shop haha) get in discount for their accounts w/ these shippers... it's hard to justify the $60. I know what I pay as a consumer with UPS/Fedex/etc. And I have seen what companies pay for the same thing... worlds different.
It is what it is I guess :P

Honestly that sounds a bit odd. I’ve ordered from the SF store and this has never been mentioned. The only “fee” has always been the shipping. Unless policies have changed very recently (since the last time I ordered), I would diplomatically “re-inquire”.
I agree.

I just got a response from the Chicago location. It’s a premium of $370 in total including the $60 shipping cost. My state does not have a Goyard store.
That's nuts! I shopped with them back in 2021 and was charged shipping only. I assume this is the Goyard inside NM? Have you tried the Goyard in Dallas, TX? Their store seem to be well stocked the last time I called. Goyard inside BG is where I've purchased most of my Goyard pieces but based on this forum, they seem to have limited stock.

I had just purchased something via distance sale in US in February and it was the standard tax + $30 shipping.

And now I just completed a purchase today (5/3/23) for another item and indeed their process as changed.
Instead of tax, it is a 'premium' of ~8.5% (unsure if this is based on local tax? or a set %)
AND the real doozy here is the $60 ground shipping.

I'm none too pleased about it. But I completed the purchase.
Something for everyone to consider the next time. I certainly will.

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF
Is it legal to charge customers a 8.5% premium fee?

Is it legal to charge customers a 8.5% premium fee?
Unsure at this point. But I presume they are running an above-board business haha We may just not like the change/shuffle :P

From everyone weighing in on this thread and others — all with various backgrounds of boutique vs inside department store purchases vs client/sa history, etc. — I think the only thing for certain is that each boutique is re-categorizing things a tad differently. At least in verbiage. Like premium vs service fee and such. Definitely not getting the impression there is some clear, straightforward policy that’s being rolled out for public clarity. But they’ve never been one to have any public clarity so perhaps it’s futile to expect such a thing.

Also, I bet any additional charges (especially for customers doing DS from places without boutiques) are to tighten the belt on the DS practice as a whole. They probably feel they can roll back some of that accessibility that they needed during the pandemic keep up their sales.

The $60 still stings a lil though :wtf:

Last edited:
Reactions: earthygirl