How do you wear scarves with thick borders?

I have a few scarves with thick borders of a solid colour (black, white, purple). However, I prefer busy scarves... I’m not a huge fan of the ‘empty canvas’ and was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to tie them so that the borders don’t show (there’s no contrast hem and some designs are fairly old)? I follow Scarf of the Day thread which is useful, but it’s a bit overwhelming and a lot of you guys have such gorgeous hems!

For example, I have one scarf (La Vie du Grand Nord) which is silver/beige in the middle but the outer inches are black, and I’d want to wear this with lighter summer colours while still showing as much of the animals and the artwork as possible. Another scarf (Libres Comme L’air) has a purple border but I’d rather only showcase the birds. Otherwise I love the designs a lot and do not want to rehome them!

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn’t find the thread.

Last edited:
Hi! I also like busy scarves and have a few with wide borders that I want to hide. I'd recommend a bias fold and tie the ends but hang them down your back or at the back of your neck so the ends aren't visible. Mai Tai has some great examples of this sort of thing - here's one for inspiration:
It's like an extra wide, long necklace. Btw, La Vie du Grand Nord is probably at the top of my wish list right now, that is a gorgeous design that I think would really benefit from this particular Mai Tai tie. If you try it, I would love to see it.

Yep you can have fun and try finding ways to tie the scarf to hide the border! Another way to do that off the top of my head is to do like a short double necklace, with or without a scarf ring (I learned this from - who else - Mai Tai). Very easy: start with bias fold, make the two ends go over each other in front of you, then tie the ends together in the back of your neck. Examples from her blog:

2BFCDA09-AB8F-403D-ACB1-8F26D2AB6611.jpeg

D8C07198-FA71-45E8-94F7-5A5AB07F2F7B.jpeg

Hi! I also like busy scarves and have a few with wide borders that I want to hide. I'd recommend a bias fold and tie the ends but hang them down your back or at the back of your neck so the ends aren't visible. Mai Tai has some great examples of this sort of thing - here's one for inspiration:
It's like an extra wide, long necklace. Btw, La Vie du Grand Nord is probably at the top of my wish list right now, that is a gorgeous design that I think would really benefit from this particular Mai Tai tie. If you try it, I would love to see it.
Thanks for the tip! A little secret, technically I don't have La Vie du Grand Nord yet... but after waiting years for it to come into my radar, I finally found it online and it will hopefully arrive in the next week - will definitely post a photo when it does! I wonder which colour way you're looking for? I found the orange one for a decent price too, which I didn't end up getting!

Yep you can have fun and try finding ways to tie the scarf to hide the border! Another way to do that off the top of my head is to do like a short double necklace, with or without a scarf ring (I learned this from - who else - Mai Tai). Very easy: start with bias fold, make the two ends go over each other in front of you, then tie the ends together in the back of your neck. Examples from her blog:

View attachment 5741955

View attachment 5741956
Thank you! These looks like great, neat knots, and will definitely try them out! Don't have many scarf rings yet but some of mine should do the trick

Reactions: momoc
Thanks for the tip! A little secret, technically I don't have La Vie du Grand Nord yet... but after waiting years for it to come into my radar, I finally found it online and it will hopefully arrive in the next week - will definitely post a photo when it does! I wonder which colour way you're looking for? I found the orange one for a decent price too, which I didn't end up getting!
I'm hoping to find the burgundy / pink / brown one or the one in light blue with dark blue border.. but not at graily prices if I can help it.

Just received the Coaching Forever scarf which has a prominent border in a different color (red) - https://www.hermes.com/ca/en/product/coaching-forever-scarf-90-H001635Sv26/

Tried playing with it a bit while hiding the border (sorry horrible lighting!!)

2E274639-2FA9-4E21-B516-687FA6D746F3.jpeg38F089D5-68FB-477B-9473-2CA23EE1B217.jpeg

Again I think I end up in bias fold then hiding the tips which results in necklace like shapes; bias fold means you hide the border almost everywhere except the tips of the two ends, then you try finding ways to put those behind your neck / into the scarf.

I’m sure more experienced scarfies will have ideas I’m missing! But sadly I think highlighting one corner as triangle (anything like a cowboy knot) would be impossible because it means including the border of that corner :thinking:

Last edited:
Just received the Coaching Forever scarf which has a prominent border in a different color (red) - https://www.hermes.com/ca/en/product/coaching-forever-scarf-90-H001635Sv26/

View attachment 5742559View attachment 5742560

Again I think I end up in bias fold then hiding the tips which results in necklace like shapes; bias fold means you hide the border almost everywhere except the tips of the two ends, then you try finding ways to put those behind your neck / into the scarf.

I’m sure more experienced scarfies will have ideas I’m missing! But sadly I think highlighting one corner as triangle (anything like a cowboy knot) would be impossible because it means including the border of that corner :thinking:
Oh wow, lovely scarf and gorgeous knots! Particularly like the second one, how innovative (maybe I’m just too much of a scarf newbie still…)!

View attachment 5742559View attachment 5742560

I am very interested in how you knot the scarf in the second pic. What’s the name of this knot so I can search a video ?

I am very interested in how you knot the scarf in the second pic. What’s the name of this knot so I can search a video ?

I don’t know the name of the knot unfortunately…

What you do is bias fold, take the two ends together and fold upwards (toward your neck), use two fingers of one hand to keep a hole at where you folded up, use the other hand to twist the two ends a couple times all around the scarf above, then put the ends into the hole that you were keeping with the two fingers, then pull down and tighten the knot and make adjustments.

I probably made 0 sense and if someone actually knows the name or have a video / tutorial to share that would be awesome!!

Edit: tried to label my photo maybe it helps a bit!

A5706732-4790-4EF1-9976-2DC822F2849B.jpeg

Last edited:

What you do is bias fold, take the two ends together and fold upwards (toward your neck), use two fingers of one hand to keep a hole at where you folded up, use the other hand to twist the two ends a couple times all around the scarf above, then put the ends into the hole that you were keeping with the two fingers, then pull down and tighten the knot and make adjustments.

I probably made 0 sense and if someone actually knows the name or have a video / tutorial to share that would be awesome!!

View attachment 5743057
Thanks heaps! I will give it a shot!

@momoc , Thanks for posting the picture. I liked the pattern but was wondering how it would actually look in real life. It was very helpful to see it draped on a real person. I just picked up the forever coaching scarf and am really excited to try this knot. If anyone does find a video, I'd be interested in seeing it as well.

Just thinking this would be a perfect Cinco de Mayo scarf :heart: