Vintage Kelly to buy or not to buy

amdmarques

O.G.
Oct 15, 2013
Hello everyone,

I saw the below Vintage Kelly for sale and I’m very tempted. I never purchased a vintage piece as I’m so afraid of scams and getting fakes, but I do like the look of them and have been drawn more and more to it. I saw this and I think the price is reasonable, listed at €3600, Kelly 32 from 1947, not sure on leather. Ive asked a few questions to the seller and waiting on those.

Do you think it’s worth getting and sending to spa? How much do you think I would spend on the spa (assuming this can be accepted by spa if no one else touched the bag)? I’m very confused if I should go for it or not.

What do you think?

1FD8B757-F9D7-432B-99A3-60AC70F3A753.jpeg

AFC7BDE0-1005-4CE5-B6AB-E308D495616B.jpeg

DCFC9495-57A1-41B3-9A64-C948819F46EF.jpeg

02147822-F93B-42D7-80E1-7424D017DCA0.jpeg

AC823522-4280-45CC-8E1B-A5E3C64B230F.jpeg

F4B63E84-4F3A-4ECE-A5FA-4BB167A90418.jpeg

Reactions: Hermezzy
I am a sucker for vintage Kelly’s, more so one from 1947, so this might be biased but if it comes from a reputable seller where you’re sure it’s authentic, I’d say go for it haha I am pretty sure the leather is box leather.

As for the Hermès spa cost, it will definitely vary. The minimum for sure would be about $300 for the basic cleaning. I notice the handle has cracks already so if Hermès does replace it, I’d think around a thousand usd? I’m not really sure as that’s just a guestimate. Birkin handle replacement are around $1,100 as my basis.

Do you want a Kelly that looks beat up, as the Olsen twins beat up Kelly? If so, carry it as it is. Just put some Creme Sapphir neutral on it. A new handle would look out of place with the rest of the damage, IMO. I think the price is too high. Can you negotiate the price?
I don’t love the complete beat up look, I wouldn’t mind a bit but this feels a bit much for me. But agree that something new would look a bit odd. I guess they would assess the bag as a whole.
What do you think a fair price would be? I will try to negotiate for sure.

I am a sucker for vintage Kelly’s, more so one from 1947, so this might be biased but if it comes from a reputable seller where you’re sure it’s authentic, I’d say go for it haha I am pretty sure the leather is box leather.

As for the Hermès spa cost, it will definitely vary. The minimum for sure would be about $300 for the basic cleaning. I notice the handle has cracks already so if Hermès does replace it, I’d think around a thousand usd? I’m not really sure as that’s just a guestimate. Birkin handle replacement are around $1,100 as my basis.
Thanks for your response, yeah wouldn’t be the cheapest repair but if gives live to the bag would be worth it.

As to the price, $2,500 US? If you want a new handle, the spa would have it for months and you will have more money in it. I would personally pay more for a Kelly in better shape and forget this one. I am wondering if Hermes resale prices will drop with the possible coming recession. If you buy it, leave the zipper inside open, as the fabric in the zipper may tear if you try to use it.....personal experience with a Kelly from the 50's.

This bag is in decent shape for its age, and "pre-Kelly" Kellys are harder and harder to find (I have one from 1952).
This is Box leather (named after Joseph Box).
Apres-vente will be thrilled to service it and it will cost around 350 in USD or euro.
A handle replacement would easily be 3x that.

The bad: that cracking in the leather cannot be fixed.

Overall if you do not actually want a funky/very vintage look to your bag, this is not the bag for you. FWIW, although I love my 1952 Kelly (which is in much better shape than this bag), I only carry it when I specifically want that vintage/cool/indie look. Doesn't sound like that's what you want from a Kelly.

ETA: Resellers will charge almost anything for an Hermes B or K no matter what shape it's in or how old it is, in the current market. 3600€ is really high for this, but I definitely see many bags priced this way. I paid USD $1500 for my '52 in a much lower market, but mine had a large pen mark on the front (which I was able to remove). Waiting for the market to soften is an option.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I saw the below Vintage Kelly for sale and I’m very tempted. I never purchased a vintage piece as I’m so afraid of scams and getting fakes, but I do like the look of them and have been drawn more and more to it. I saw this and I think the price is reasonable, listed at €3600, Kelly 32 from 1947, not sure on leather. Ive asked a few questions to the seller and waiting on those.

Do you think it’s worth getting and sending to spa? How much do you think I would spend on the spa (assuming this can be accepted by spa if no one else touched the bag)? I’m very confused if I should go for it or not.

What do you think?

View attachment 5742151

View attachment 5742152

View attachment 5742153

View attachment 5742154

View attachment 5742155

View attachment 5742156
I like the worn look! If it isn't real, could you get a refund?

I like the worn look! If it isn't real, could you get a refund?
Today they have responded that the bag was never retouched so could be sent to spa but that they accepted an offer for €3150 so that might have sold let’s see. But doubt I would get a refund, I could say I would only buy with an authenticity certificate