REAL Native American Jewelry~

Congrats on your lovely bracelet. Just FYI this is known as needlepoint turquoise, not petitpoint.
Thank you. Petit point is when it’s circular isn’t it?
So the flower shaped cuffs actually contain both needle and Petit point?
C4110658-12E2-467C-8DA3-5F8B234615B5.jpeg
That is an absolutely beautiful cuff - enjoy it! At first I thought it was two stacked cuffs but it looks like one piece. What a great design!
Thank you. Yes I love it and it’s a double row. It’s very comfortable to wear.
There’s some other beautiful cuffs out there.

Thank you. Petit point is when it’s circular isn’t it?

^In that bracelet the blue turquoise is the petitpoint, and the ovals are just oval cabs. Petitpoint is a stone shape that tapers from rounded at the top to a pointed end, essentially the teardrop or pear shape. (Some makers do a more rounded pointy end, but you definitely still see this shaping.)

Needlepoint turquoise, in contrast, is a fine (narrow) cut that's consistent top to bottom, though the ends are ever so slightly beveled.

The queen of needlepoint is Edith Tsabetsaye (Zuni), if you want to see it at its highest form.http://marthastruever.com/edith-tsabetsaye-needlepoint-ring.html

Last edited:
^In that bracelet the blue turquoise is the petitpoint, and the ovals are just oval cabs. Petitpoint is a stone shape that tapers from rounded at the top to a pointed end, essentially the teardrop or pear shape. (Some makers do a more rounded pointy end, but you definitely still see this shaping.)

Needlepoint turquoise, in contrast, is a fine (narrow) cut that's consistent top to bottom, though the ends are ever so slightly beveled.

The queen of needlepoint is Edith Tsabetsaye (Zuni), if you want to see it at its highest form.http://marthastruever.com/edith-tsabetsaye-needlepoint-ring.html
Thank you that’s a great reply. For some reason I didn’t get a notification for this thread even though I watch it.

I was looking at Effie Calavaza (Zuni) the last couple of days- I do love the way she works snakes into her designs

They've been in a plastic zip lock bag for most of the last 30 years "developing patina" which is only a nicer way of saying "getting really tarnished". The issue is now that I would need to clean things in order to get enough tarnish off them that it doesn't come off onto my clothing, but I don't like the way it looks when it's too clean! Besides, I'm now so into Elsa Peretti that there's little chance of going back. I also have comfort issues with the weight of the necklaces. I have been thinking about selling some of my pieces but have been too lazy to take action....as usual.
I had been keeping my silver bracelets in socks and they were getting tarnished. putting them in a zip lock bag, they don't seem to so that

This is a Navajo sand cast silver bracelet that my fiance got me to replace a beloved bracelet with the same motif, but not mirrored (i.e. just the one swirly figure), that I had lost on the way back from a trip to Israel a few years ago. I got the original bracelet in 2010 on a cross-country road trip with my dad, behind a gas station bathroom where some Navajo ladies had set up shop selling jewelry. While I wish that I still had the original bracelet, I love this one and I like that it has 2 of the motif of the original one; it kind of represents the 2 most important men in my life.PXL_20230327_035707530.jpg