How much would you be willing to pay for a bag on the resell market?

Problem with chanel is they cannot offer exclusivity like hermes as a classic flap is available by just walking into the store and one can buy without having a huge purchase history (like Buying Birkin/Kelly) .. so only way Chanel can attain exclusivity is through constant and high price increase!
Also to be offered a hot/sought after color or style these days SAs are really pushing on cross selling (like these bags are offered only on buying fine jewellery or watches)

Because of covid and the new direction Chanel is going supply is limited and many customers willing to buy so this drives high resale prices!

Reactions: luxsal
I’ve been browsing a few pages like fashionphile, ebay, poshmark, etc.. looking for a very specific piece that is no longer in store. What I noticed is that the listing prices on some of the brand new pieces that you could get from the stores now are way higher than retail. For example, i bought a mini dark beige 23P with top handle not long ago for $5300 and it is listed from $6000-$7200 on ebay. Can anybody pls explain this to me?

I’ve been browsing a few pages like fashionphile, ebay, poshmark, etc.. looking for a very specific piece that is no longer in store. What I noticed is that the listing prices on some of the brand new pieces that you could get from the stores now are way higher than retail. For example, i bought a mini dark beige 23P with top handle not long ago for $5300 and it is listed from $6000-$7200 on ebay. Can anybody pls explain this to me?
I found one for $8,995. Lol. Also 23P. Sellers can ask whatever they want for it but that does not mean they will sell it for that price. One on FP was already discounted 5% because no one is buying it. The minis are, however, very hard to get in many regions and for many people, the price is still favorable compared to CFs, so people might be willing to pay higher than retail for it but not as high as some FP or ebay prices.

since chanel bags are so hard to get right now due to artificial quotas and scarcity, resellers can charge a premium. it’s a bizarre world we’re living in, but I assume chanel will catch on and figure out even more ways to milk every last cent.

Sorry I'm new to Chanel, and I was reading about microchip authentication.

Does it mean that if I buy a bag on TRR/VC/etc... And they are post-microchip implementation, does it mean there's practically no chance the authentication would be wrong?

So afraid of ending up buying a fake, but I'm mainly interested in recent collections, so could easily stick to only buying microchipped bags from resellers that are able to check them.

I paid over retail one time for a mini but because the color was never released in my country. I saw no other way to get it other than having to pay that extra. I believe I went no more than $500 over. I have never seen the color/style on any resale site so I am ok with what I paid, but would not do it again. The bag isn't *that* special to me and something about having paid more for it makes it less special somehow.
I totally understand your feelings. I did that once and would never do it again. The fact that I paid a premium for a bag sort of destroyed my enjoyment somehow .

Sorry I'm new to Chanel, and I was reading about microchip authentication.

Does it mean that if I buy a bag on TRR/VC/etc... And they are post-microchip implementation, does it mean there's practically no chance the authentication would be wrong?

So afraid of ending up buying a fake, but I'm mainly interested in recent collections, so could easily stick to only buying microchipped bags from resellers that are able to check them.
There are fakes with those gold numbered plaques in them too.

FYI, they're not actually microchips. They're simply engraved numbers on a piece of metal, so you can't just have the bag checked for authenticity by scanning the non-existent "chip". You would have to get the bag authenticated by a third party, regardless of auth card or metal plate.

Reactions: ButchChanel
Just bought a vintage medium CF in caramel lambskin and 24k gold-plated for 4800€.
That’s a big chunk of money but I was willing to pay that price as I was searching high and low for this specific color for so so long.

But when I think that I paid « only » 2200€ for a medium CF in black LB and 24k gold plated back in 2020, this is just crazy to see how prices have gone up so fast

Here’s a photo of my prized possession.

28787A77-1CC6-45A7-BDA5-8C0A37E05A53.jpeg

There are fakes with those gold numbered plaques in them too.

FYI, they're not actually microchips. They're simply engraved numbers on a piece of metal, so you can't just have the bag checked for authenticity by scanning the non-existent "chip". You would have to get the bag authenticated by a third party, regardless of auth card or metal plate.
really? everything I read online says it's a microchip, and Zeko says they only authenticate microcihpped bags in person, leading me to believe they need to use an actual 'chip reader' to authenticate

really? everything I read online says it's a microchip, and Zeko says they only authenticate microcihpped bags in person, leading me to believe they need to use an actual 'chip reader' to authenticate
Yes, really. My understanding is that Zeko requires the bags to be sent to her, and she then uses some high-tech microscope to examine the plate. Apparently, the little plate has some intricate engravings/etchings that can only be seen with a high powered resolution?

I don't mind spending a bit over retail for a brand new bag because I would have to factor in the expense and time associated with travel because I don't live near a boutique anymore.

But I can't bring myself to spend over the retail (at the time the bag was sold) price for a used (in any manner) bag. I know that's not how it works, but it's just a pill I can't swallow.

Yes, really. My understanding is that Zeko requires the bags to be sent to her, and she then uses some high-tech microscope to examine the plate. Apparently, the little plate has some intricate engravings/etchings that can only be seen with a high powered resolution?
Agree with @LT23 FYI, as of recently, Zeko no longer requires the bags to be sent to her for auth. She can now do them via high res pics.

Back on topic, I wouldn't pay above retail unless I REALLY wanted the specific bag and it's in new/like new condition. Otherwise I would only want to pay under retail.