What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

Did you guys see the toilet-floor-mat Oran?
I cannot deal with fuzzy house slippers that cost more than $25, lol. Not chic.
Death Reaction GIF

Not really an opinion and perhaps not unpopular…I don’t really understand either the concept of or the fascination with ‘prespend ratio.’ As I understand it, in some countries, one must spend a certain amount to ‘earn’ a B or a K offer. My confusion: how would one know exactly what the ratio is in one’s home store? And, more importantly in my mind, do people actually buy items while consciously calculating progress towards achieving the correct ‘prespend ratio’? Rather than because the items bring them joy?

Not really an opinion and perhaps not unpopular…I don’t really understand either the concept of or the fascination with ‘prespend ratio.’ As I understand it, in some countries, one must spend a certain amount to ‘earn’ a B or a K offer. My confusion: how would one know exactly what the ratio is in one’s home store? And, more importantly in my mind, do people actually buy items while consciously calculating progress towards achieving the correct ‘prespend ratio’? Rather than because the items bring them joy?
Question 1: yes. Prespend ratio at each local boutique/how to get a BK is easily the most FAQ in this forum, according to my observation, and the reason why many people find their way to us.

Question 2: Absolutely they do, because their holy grail item is the BK. I think it’s easy to poopoo the prespend ratio, but realistically, the truth, as we all know, is that a lot of H customers come in wanting the BKC, and then develop love for the brand as they go through prespend. Would as many people have picked H as their go to for fine jewelry or rtw or better yet homeware without seeing the Bk as the North Star? Then you’ve got the people who never develop love for other metiers and begrudgingly are on the train for the ride just for the BK. Finally you have the resellers who somehow are able to make a business out of reselling their prespend at a loss to get the BK to resell at a gain. So, I’d imagine 60-80% of clients at least have the concept of prespend in the back of their minds with every purchase, maybe with 20-30% actually writing out the numbers and able to recite their ratio off the top of their heads.

Last edited: