Are we being unfair to Chanel re prices?

Funny to me, because they (Chanel) have made comments about the second hand market, they don't like it, (they clearly hate people making money off of their product second hand) so they set restrictions and make the prices so crazy that they lose the people who NEVER bought second hand to begin with!!! Let's face it, their bags are fairly mass produced, much of their leathers are not super expensive, they do NOT WANT people making a profit on their product so they will increase the price so much and reduce the ability to buy that they can still make the same profit while spending less on production and not having a saturation into the population (building some level of exclusivity). I bought my last WOC last month, I really like it and don't regret the purchase but it is most likely my LAST, I am not into re-sale market... I bought ONE super beat up 227 reissue about 8 years ago super cheap to restore for fun (not to turn around and sell), had it authenticated favorably although still question a screw issue but we have to remember seasonal bags can be a free for all in many respects and I had a favorable outcome from an authentication perspective (its funny how we have these specific guidelines as if the bag makers at Chanel never had to finish off a bag by hand with a slight variation and when someone gets that one variant OMG it has to be fake, but that's another discussion, recently just ran into a miss color matched hardware issue with seasonal color classics where the CC hardware was not a match to the chain, **** does happen lol) anyway it was a fun project bag and very cheap, and I use and adore it....buying anything at a premium pre owned is not for me, the other 25 plus Chanel handbags, SLG's, ( not to mention shoes accessories etc.) I own were bought in boutique I'm going to use and enjoy what I have.. Yes this is business, but they clearly have a little desire to keep faithful shoppers, way to snobby/greedy/expectant for me! I have no desire to spend 10K on a purse I already own multiple versions of that I paid way less for... it's too much too soon and social media, online applications, etc. probably hasn't helped. I actually know many millionaires who would laugh at spending 5k on a bag never mind over 10K... We just have better things to do in life at this point.
Agree. I know many wealthy ppl who would not participate in this PI game because they already own a vast collection and because they know the prices they paid over the years.

Last edited:
I agree and I think the luxury shopping boom was also fueled by stimulus checks, free PPP loans, free unemployment checks (with nothing else to spend it on), postponed rent/foreclosures, postponed student loans, and HELOC with everyone's houses suddenly exploding in value on the market. So much so that Chanel was able to make the highest profits that they had ever made and the owners of Chanel were able to make it out with $3 billion dollars each in Dividends in one year even after everyone else was paid out. Where did all that money suddenly come from? I think some or all of these factors combined during the height of COVID led to many new buyers entering the luxury market that never had the chance to before as well as older buyers purchasing more, everyone had more purchasing power all of a sudden, even unemployed young people in their early twenties living in their parent's houses could buy Chanel bags. This also explains the sudden boom in Teslas everywhere (all of a sudden majority of people can afford Teslas?) and brand new trucks, etc. I think that Tesla is overpriced for what it is, I'd rather buy a luxury car for that price, and you hear about quality issues from Tesla owners all the time and recalls, yet I don't see anybody complaining about Tesla prices like they do about Chanel :no: It might be the free loans and stimulus checks running out, rising inflation for all basic necessities, reality hitting again, no more free money being thrown around, that people started heavily complaining about Chanel prices and envying (the real reason being that they realize they can't afford to buy Chanel anymore).
This is SUCH a weird take. You think it's people that were relying on unemployment, three stimulus checks in two years, and a lack of student loans that drove up Chanel's popularity? And now it's those people relying on "free money" who are complaining about Chanel because they can't afford it anymore? What are you honestly talking about?

Last edited:
This is SUCH a weird take. You think it's people that were relying on unemployment, three stimulus checks in two years, and a lack of student loans that drove up Chanel's popularity? And now it's those people relying on "free money" who are complaining about Chanel because they can't afford it anymore? What are you honestly talking about?
I think you’re both right. Chanel is marching upward in price point and had been steadily (some years, sharply) doing so before the pandemic. It’s part of a larger strategy put in place years ago. Pandemic or no pandemic. It was certainly helpful to Chanel’s leather goods division that people’s expenses were no longer geared toward experiences like travel. I don’t see any statistics, but it’s reasonable to assume some folks could buy a wish bag or two which previously would have seemed out of reach. However, I don’t think the relatively small (esp. globally speaking) amount of people receiving American pandemic-related aid played nearly as big a role in pricing Chanel’s handbags as suggested. And I don’t think they’re the main folks complaining.
Really, some people were priced out at $4900 and some at $8800. I think the number $10,200 is shocking people who previously weren’t because it’s five figures now. Complaints have been going on for years.

its funny how we have these specific guidelines as if the bag makers at Chanel never had to finish off a bag by hand with a slight variation and when someone gets that one variant OMG it has to be fake
As someone who reads Zeko’s blogs for quite a while :biggrin: I learned that it’s not quality that makes a difference between fakes and legit bags, but qualities as of zipper brands, snap button brands, treads and other supplies that have been in use for each specific release in specific Chanel factories. Some bag might be made of materials that all been in use by Chanel, but this very specific combination creates a Pokémon that never left an actual Chanel facility. No way to tell that from a glance at the stock photos!

Talking about project bags (not sure if that hasn’t been posted here before though), there’s a section of luxury auction listings that start at 1 yen price on Yahoo Japan. I cannot confirm the authenticity, but a lot of sellers specify the license for selling preowned/vintage pieces. I recall that roughly two years ago the very bottom of the market for the flap bags would reach the price point somewhere around 1,5k. Last summer it was around 2+k point, where I decided that it’s not really worth it because it’s not actually cheap, yet those bags usually come being heavily loved by previous owner(s) :biggrin:

Where did or does Chanel make comments about what they want, like the comment about how they trying to deter resellers or who their desired clientele is?
Seems like unless there's a statement from Chanel it's all conjecture.

All designers raise prices, some more, some less than others, it's up to each of us when we're priced out.
I do hate the "at this price I'll go to Hermes!!" because they're not remotely similar. I only buy what I love. Price increases at Chanel won't run me off to an equally or higher priced brand that plays mind games, I'd try and find a similar designer at the prices I was more comfortable paying.

Where did or does Chanel make comments about what they want, like the comment about how they trying to deter resellers or who their desired clientele is?
Seems like unless there's a statement from Chanel it's all conjecture.

All designers raise prices, some more, some less than others, it's up to each of us when we're priced out.
I do hate the "at this price I'll go to Hermes!!" because they're not remotely similar. I only buy what I love. Price increases at Chanel won't run me off to an equally or higher priced brand that plays mind games, I'd try and find a similar designer at the prices I was more comfortable paying.
Yes. Something feminine and alluring, at a better price point.

This is why YSL got lucky and a lot of ppl jumped ship. Their pebbled leather is a lot like Chanel caviar, and the puffer bags remind me of Chanel 19. YSL does offer various lines of handbags that are very attractive. And guess what? They have gone up in prices too. Hahahaha. :graucho: :biggrin: :lol:

I know I shouldn't be comparing brands, I'm not. But YSL handbags are quite cute.

Going forward, I will still buy Chanel, but it has to really have a special wow factor that just sings to me. Otherwise, I really should just enjoy what I have which is plenty.

Last edited:
I am one of those who have been priced out from Chanel and I am likely the clientele they want to drop anyway :oh:
But I am not surprised at the price increase at all .. .

- the classic flap price on the second hand market where I am is higher than RRP. You know when that happens the brand is going to be sour about it because why should they let a reseller earn a cut? why not sell fewer bags and let their customers buy from boutique and get the full vibes from it? They have been trying to cut out resellers for awhile now with bag quotas and etc and I believe this is also part of it. This also tells them that they havent reached the pain point yet and people will still buy.

- sad as it is to say, they likely dont care about those of us who save to buy one chanel flap our whole entire life. Not every brand has to care about every corner of the luxury market, if you think they are expensive, then they likely dont want you in their store anyway. I think this is obvious from how their SA's treat us in the boutique ...

- The comparison with Hermes that I see everywhere is ridiculous. Hermes doesnt have to raise prices - they can just tweak the " game " .. and speaking of, I personally think the Hermes game is absurd and refuse to buy from them. At the end of the day an Hermes bag costs double or more of what the bag price is, and you have no guarantee you will get the bag you want or like, there is no guarantee of even getting A bag even after spending thousands because "everyone's journey is different" .. excuse me.. I don't have that much money to burn.

- again on Hermes, people saying that they rather go buy an Hermes now rather than Chanel - Hermes doesn't look anything like Chanel! ... Don't people buy bags because they like how it looks? I would understand more if people said they would rather buy a loulou from YSL than a classic flap because it is kind of a comparable bag in terms of looks and structure.
I’ve never had an SA treat me terribly in any Chanel boutique.

• Haha
Reactions: daisygrl and Swanky
You have to adjust for inflation. $250 in 1955 is not $250 in 2023

@daisygrl

You're both correct IMO.

I think someone worked it out exactly before in this thread, but it's round about $3K, so comparable if the price increases hadn't been so steep and frequent as they have been for the last 10 years.

However, as in the spirit of this thread, all designer/mega-brands (excluding couture) across all depts, are approx twice real inflation rate between 1960 and 2023. Globally, property prices in most major cities have similar rates and higher in 'desirable' areas. Household electronics, furniture, high-street children's clothes etc have actually dropped (but are more 'throwaway').

Reactions: baghabitz34
Yes. Something feminine and alluring, at a better price point.

This is why YSL got lucky and a lot of ppl jumped ship. Their pebbled leather is a lot like Chanel caviar, and the puffer bags remind me of Chanel 19. YSL does offer various lines of handbags that are very attractive. And guess what? They have gone up in prices too. Hahahaha. :graucho: :biggrin: :lol:

I know I shouldn't be comparing brands, I'm not. But YSL handbags are quite cute.

Going forward, I will still buy Chanel, but it has to really have a special wow factor that just sings to me. Otherwise, I really should just enjoy what I have which is plenty.
Agree on the wow factor. I doubt I’d buy another CF and honestly, wouldn’t have even at the previous price before this latest increase. But a new bag at a lower price point, perhaps! Also telling myself I have plenty (even though I’m still eyeing a mini reissue haha)

I don't think we are being unfair. For me, it's not necessarily a question of affordability, but rather why would I spend $10,XXX on the exact same bag I bought in 2021 for $8,XXX or in 2018 for $5,XXX. If Chanel releases something that I love or in a must have color, I would consider it, but I otherwise don't see the value in it anymore.

And that's okay because I don't need to shop at Chanel. I've never needed a Chanel bag so I guess that's why I don't really care that much about the price increases and don't think they impact me. Maybe I would have a different viewpoint if I didn't already have Chanel in my wardrobe and really wanted it, but I do know that I would be VERY underwhelmed if I spent $10,XXX on my first Chanel after pining for one for years because they are not five figures special. Let's be real, they aren't even four figures special but I love them nonetheless.

Last edited:
All I know is that it's unreasonable for the price of a bag to double (to $10K!!!!!!!!!!!) within five years, let alone increase by $2K in the last two years (during a literal pandemic!) Some of you need to be honest. Chanel has been ridiculous and has ushered in this norm of egregious price increases across luxury brands. For that, they deserve the harshest criticism. These bags are not worth that much. None of it is justifiable, all of it deserves criticism. I don't care how dreamy or iconic or classic or whatever Chanel apparently is.

And for everyone chasing symbol status and lamenting the fact that Chanel's are decreasingly serving as a way to showcase elitism/being a part of some special consumer class, go buy a yacht or something! This desire to gatekeep after you get access to something "exclusive" is so weird.

As weird as it sounds, this was definitely the case in NYC. I know plenty of people who used PPP loans and unemployment to move into better apartments and get clothing / bags they couldn't afford prior to the pandemic.