I PURGED MY DOONEY COLLECTION

G: Enjoy your new Florentine handbag. Which style did you get?
I ended up with the domed florentine satchel in charcoal. I think it looks better in person. The color and proportions are better than they looked on my screen. I am not crazy about the stationary handle, but I like all the other features.

My heart was set on the small Alto Ella in dark grey, but I didn't seem to catch it at the sale price I wanted. My fingers are crossed just in case it shows up. The only color I have seen is the saddle and I have that style and color.

I seem to have trouble putting grey together and having two grey bags is probably a good idea. I wonder if other Dooney collectors like boots, or I may be in the minority, but I have a few pairs of grey boots and they seem to get too taupe, blue or something. I think it pays to have a few grey selections in leather/suede accessories.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I ended up with the domed florentine satchel in charcoal. I think it looks better in person. The color and proportions are better than they looked on my screen. I am not crazy about the stationary handle, but I like all the other features.

My heart was set on the small Alto Ella in dark grey, but I didn't seem to catch it at the sale price I wanted. My fingers are crossed just in case it shows up. The only color I have seen is the saddle and I have that style and color.

I seem to have trouble putting grey together and having two grey bags is probably a good idea. I wonder if other Dooney collectors like boots, or I may be in the minority, but I have a few pairs of grey boots and they seem to get too taupe, blue or something. I think it pays to have a few grey selections in leather/suede accessories.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
G: matching greys is a challenge.

This week I wore a dark grey silk sweater with a lighter grey patterned cashmere cardi. Thought it looked really sharp. Then I pulled
out my grey handbag collection..... the only 2 bags that worked were a dark grey
Dooney Samba pebbled leather satchel and a very pale grey Dooney Florentine Toscana
satchel. None of the other Dooney grey colors worked. Most were too taupe or brown
when held next to the other wardrobe items.

So yes, you need more than one grey
handbag if you want wardrobe flexibility. Of course, you and I may be among
the few who worry about color tones. But, if it doesn't look right to me, then
it doesn't give me any pleasure.... no matter how good a handbag it is.

I should add that I am not a big fan of Dooney's elephant color nor many of the
very brown based taupe shades either. And when I see videos of ladies gushing
over very, very, very expensive luxury bags in that taupey/brown/grey color....
I'm not tempted at all. Show me a fuchsia or beautiful blue, and my credit card
gets very nervous.

Enjoy your new handbag.

G: I just looked up the Domed Florentine Satchel. I love that style and have
several Dooneys like it in pebbled leather and maybe a croco and an ostrich too.
(Clearly I have too many handbags if I can't remember).

The Domed satchel is a roomy handbag with adjustable handles. And for storage
I like to remove the handles and store them inside. With limited storage space, it keeps the handles from leaving imprints on other handbags.

Now, I want to add a Florentine Domed Satchel to my collection. Just think of all
that beautiful Florentine leather..... time to start another wish list.

G: matching greys is a challenge.

This week I wore a dark grey silk sweater with a lighter grey patterned cashmere cardi. Thought it looked really sharp. Then I pulled
out my grey handbag collection..... the only 2 bags that worked were a dark grey
Dooney Samba pebbled leather satchel and a very pale grey Dooney Florentine Toscana
satchel. None of the other Dooney grey colors worked. Most were too taupe or brown
when held next to the other wardrobe items.

So yes, you need more than one grey
handbag if you want wardrobe flexibility. Of course, you and I may be among
the few who worry about color tones. But, if it doesn't look right to me, then
it doesn't give me any pleasure.... no matter how good a handbag it is.

I should add that I am not a big fan of Dooney's elephant color nor many of the
very brown based taupe shades either. And when I see videos of ladies gushing
over very, very, very expensive luxury bags in that taupey/brown/grey color....
I'm not tempted at all. Show me a fuchsia or beautiful blue, and my credit card
gets very nervous.

Enjoy your new handbag.
I love Autumn clothing and accessories. Your choices sound lovely.

Sold more small flo bags to get more Flo micros. Even rebought a few bags I have sold. Can’t seem to get under the 13 bag threshold but I’m getting closer. Qvc had great price on Micro satchels so had to sell some to make sure I had room for new ones. I am using large framed wallets as catch all bag, makes the micro super workable. The hunt continues

Sold more small flo bags to get more Flo micros. Even rebought a few bags I have sold. Can’t seem to get under the 13 bag threshold but I’m getting closer. Qvc had great price on Micro satchels so had to sell some to make sure I had room for new ones. I am using large framed wallets as catch all bag, makes the micro super workable. The hunt continues
I'm glad you are finding sizes and styles that work for you. Over time our needs change.
Personally I admire anyone who doesn't lug around all the stuff I think I need when I
leave the house. I wish I could be comfortable with out all my back up supplies.

My selling update. I am down to a small collection of D&B bags. With the fir Alto arriving on Thursday, it makes 19 and 3 wallets.

I think I learned my lesson with overshopping. Actually, I sold 1 bag and gave away 3, and came away feeling that most of my D&B choices were thoughtful and good purchases.

The wasteful purchases were clothing. I feel like I can talk about it, because I have closed my closet, and do not sound like I am trying to sell to other PF readers.

The clothes are hard to sell. It could be my style and size. All NWT items. I really looked around at other prices and I know I was selling for lower than most. ie Aquatalia boots (new/never worn---$525.00 had a couple of minor scuff marks by the back heels from being in the box from shipping). Sold for $17.00 and I received $13.60.

I tried two Reiss NWT scarves at a local consignment shop. One scarf $160.00 and the other $145.00 and I get $18.40 for the two sales.

The reason I have brought it up so many times, is it taught me to shop less, make thoughtful purchases and that D&B handbags hold their value more than clothing. ie tried to sell a NWT Burberry Blackwell jacket $1000.00 and listed for $250, dropped to $225 and received an offer for $150. I kept it.

My take-a-way is spend your clothing budget on D&B for your best return if you want to resell.

I am sure many of you are a good deal smarter than I have been, but I wish I knew all this a couple of years ago. I used to make more thoughtful purchases and I need to return to my old ways.

My selling update. I am down to a small collection of D&B bags. With the fir Alto arriving on Thursday, it makes 19 and 3 wallets.

I think I learned my lesson with overshopping. Actually, I sold 1 bag and gave away 3, and came away feeling that most of my D&B choices were thoughtful and good purchases.

The wasteful purchases were clothing. I feel like I can talk about it, because I have closed my closet, and do not sound like I am trying to sell to other PF readers.

The clothes are hard to sell. It could be my style and size. All NWT items. I really looked around at other prices and I know I was selling for lower than most. ie Aquatalia boots (new/never worn---$525.00 had a couple of minor scuff marks by the back heels from being in the box from shipping). Sold for $17.00 and I received $13.60.

I tried two Reiss NWT scarves at a local consignment shop. One scarf $160.00 and the other $145.00 and I get $18.40 for the two sales.

The reason I have brought it up so many times, is it taught me to shop less, make thoughtful purchases and that D&B handbags hold their value more than clothing. ie tried to sell a NWT Burberry Blackwell jacket $1000.00 and listed for $250, dropped to $225 and received an offer for $150. I kept it.

My take-a-way is spend your clothing budget on D&B for your best return if you want to resell.

I am sure many of you are a good deal smarter than I have been, but I wish I knew all this a couple of years ago. I used to make more thoughtful purchases and I need to return to my old ways.
We all learn from our experiences. But it sounds like you are in a good place now.

I've never been happy with the result of trying to sell anything....handbags, shoes (NWT).
clothing or gift items (bone china). Either I got too little or the consignment shop went
out of business taking my items. So now, I just give things away. First family and friends, and then if no one is interested, I give the items to a charity. Hopefully someone else will get some joy out of my purchases. And if it's someone I know,
I get the benefit that my original investment wasn't so wasteful.

We all learn from our experiences. But it sounds like you are in a good place now.

I've never been happy with the result of trying to sell anything....handbags, shoes (NWT).
clothing or gift items (bone china). Either I got too little or the consignment shop went
out of business taking my items. So now, I just give things away. First family and friends, and then if no one is interested, I give the items to a charity. Hopefully someone else will get some joy out of my purchases. And if it's someone I know,
I get the benefit that my original investment wasn't so wasteful.
Yes, I gave about 75% of what I had to friends and neighbors. My next door neighbor is a generous, excellent cook/baker. She has been feeding us for years. I gave her all new items and she had five family members and friends take what they wanted and she donated the remaining clothing. I thought it was a great idea.

I agree with you. When someone finds something they can use, it is better for them to save a few dollars and it isn't taking up space and going unused in your home.

I have to admit, I thought so much of the clothing money would have been better spent on Dooney. Think of all the Alto bags and Florentine I could have purchased. I have my eyes on Florentine weekender.

Reactions: jbags07
Great job. I’m down to 9 flos. I’ve also been purging and have chosen to keep only those that work with my lifestyle and are comfortable to carry.

Yes, I gave about 75% of what I had to friends and neighbors. My next door neighbor is a generous, excellent cook/baker. She has been feeding us for years. I gave her all new items and she had five family members and friends take what they wanted and she donated the remaining clothing. I thought it was a great idea.

I agree with you. When someone finds something they can use, it is better for them to save a few dollars and it isn't taking up space and going unused in your home.

I have to admit, I thought so much of the clothing money would have been better spent on Dooney. Think of all the Alto bags and Florentine I could have purchased. I have my eyes on Florentine weekender.
Florentine bags are beautiful. But as they get bigger, they get a lot heavier.
That's an issue for me, but not a problem for everyone. So just consider if the
weight of the bag will be an issue for you.... remember if a bag starts out
heavy, it's only going to get heavier once you put your stuff in it.

Florentine bags are beautiful. But as they get bigger, they get a lot heavier.
That's an issue for me, but not a problem for everyone. So just consider if the
weight of the bag will be an issue for you.... remember if a bag starts out
heavy, it's only going to get heavier once you put your stuff in it.
That is a good point about the weight. The weekender is for my overpacking husband. He sticks his overflow in my D&B weekender and I think he needs his own.

I don't need to buy one. Since I am not in a hurry I am waiting for a better sale. I think it is currently 30% off.

I like how you bring up pro and con tips I forget to consider.
³

That is a good point about the weight. The weekender is for my overpacking husband. He sticks his overflow in my D&B weekender and I think he needs his own.

I don't need to buy one. Since I am not in a hurry I am waiting for a better sale. I think it is currently 30% off.

I like how you bring up pro and con tips I forget to consider.
³
I think one of the values of this forum is the sharing of our experiences. We all have different needs, so what works or doesn't work for me, might not be the best handbag
for someone else, or it might be perfect. For example, I try to remember that others may carry a handbag differently than I do.... so if I notice something about a shoulder or cross body strap, I mention it.... even though I always hand carry and don't really care about strap length, for example.

Handbag weight is another issue for me now.... it wasn't years ago. It probably isn't an issue for your husband. I have bought some
of the Dooney Cabriolet or Canvas items for travel. They are lighter than the all leather,
but for me.... once they are filled, they are heavy. I'm a leather snob, but sometimes I have to compromise and the look and styling of the Dooney Cabriolet/canvas/nylon
travel pieces is still very polished looking. And if I color coordinate (in a neutral color) all my pieces, it makes a very put together look.