PLEASE!...OPINIONS ON THE ALTO FIR COLOR

G.Allyn

O.G.
Dec 12, 2013
I just made a purchase of the Alto Alma in fir. Lavenderjunkie has mentioned this color but I haven't heard any details.

I have wanted the Alto Arietta for ages in the burgundy but the reviews are 3.6 stars. Bag seems too small for many. Buyers say it is pretty but the compartments are tight

After vowing to make my collection smaller, I purchased three bags this week. Two Lo and Sons Waverely in pale grey (gorgeous---I had one and sold it and the regret settled in) and one in dark navy. I hope the grey and the leather is the same from years ago

I read about the fir color from LJ (no offense-easier on phone) and made the order for the Alto Alma in fir. This was based on size and practicality. The handles look like the Arietta. I have two Alto burgundy and I don't have the fir. I was being practical.

Fingers crossed I made the right choice and get a GOOD ONE!

My favorite Dooney color is burgundy and Bordeaux. My second favorite is navy. I tend to favor earthy tones, not just in handbags but also in my home decor and fashion. I purchased the Alto Shana in fir and love it! It is earthy green with a touch of blue, but not enough blue to make it teal. I had to purchase because I did not know if I would ever have the opportunity to see this color offered again. I can see wearing this bag with so many colors. I hope you love yours. Many of the Alto bags are quite small which is why I never purchase unless they are 40 to 50% off thanks to I Love Dooney’s sale on sale deals. And I always “go big”. If the bag is offered in two sizes I always go with the larger Alto size and have not regretted it once. Good luck. I hope yours is perfect and love at first sight. :happydance:

My favorite Dooney color is burgundy and Bordeaux. My second favorite is navy. I tend to favor earthy tones, not just in handbags but also in my home decor and fashion. I purchased the Alto Shana in fir and love it! It is earthy green with a touch of blue, but not enough blue to make it teal. I had to purchase because I did not know if I would ever have the opportunity to see this color offered again. I can see wearing this bag with so many colors. I hope you love yours. Many of the Alto bags are quite small which is why I never purchase unless they are 40 to 50% off thanks to I Love Dooney’s sale on sale deals. And I always “go big”. If the bag is offered in two sizes I always go with the larger Alto size and have not regretted it once. Good luck. I hope yours is perfect and love at first sight. :happydance:
Thank you so much for the feedback on the color. I went with the fir because the only Alto green I have is olive (not sure of the official name).

I purchased on sale and D&B had an additional -30% with promo code SPRING. It was $850.00 and the final price was $416.50 with free shipping. I only purchase on sale, but it will be my most expensive Alto. I used to buy for under $300 a few years back.

Thanks for the info. I am glad it is a color that can go with quite a bit. I get wanting a pop of color, but I have never carried my red Florentine Bristol bag DH gave me. Love it and him, but I must make an effort to carry. Feeling guilty just thinking about it.

I just made a purchase of the Alto Alma in fir. Lavenderjunkie has mentioned this color but I haven't heard any details.

I have wanted the Alto Arietta for ages in the burgundy but the reviews are 3.6 stars. Bag seems too small for many. Buyers say it is pretty but the compartments are tight

After vowing to make my collection smaller, I purchased three bags this week. Two Lo and Sons Waverely in pale grey (gorgeous---I had one and sold it and the regret settled in) and one in dark navy. I hope the grey and the leather is the same from years ago

I read about the fir color from LJ (no offense-easier on phone) and made the order for the Alto Alma in fir. This was based on size and practicality. The handles look like the Arietta. I have two Alto burgundy and I don't have the fir. I was being practical.

Fingers crossed I made the right choice and get a GOOD ONE!
G.Allyn: congratulations on the Alto Alma purchase. I just went to check it out and
it's perfect.....nice size but not oversize and the fir color is beautiful.

It' been a while since
I really liked a new Alto style.... but the Alma is just the kind of handbag I love...satchel style, rolled handles, clean lines, and refined stitching detail. It reminds me of the older Alto styles. In the recent past I really didn't like the very casual designs and stitching detail that Dooney was using on the Alto styles.

I don't have anything in fir, but I have many of the deep greens Dooney has done in the
Florentine and pebbled leather collections. They are beautiful and very neutral.
The fir looks like an amazing color.... now I need to add it to my collection too!

And I was doing so well, not buying handbags for the last 2 months.
Always better to buy one fantastic handbag than a bunch that are nice, but
just like all the others I already have.

G.Allyn: congratulations on the Alto Alma purchase. I just went to check it out and
it's perfect.....nice size but not oversize and the fir color is beautiful.

It' been a while since
I really liked a new Alto style.... but the Alma is just the kind of handbag I love...satchel style, rolled handles, clean lines, and refined stitching detail. It reminds me of the older Alto styles. In the recent past I really didn't like the very casual designs and stitching detail that Dooney was using on the Alto styles.

I don't have anything in fir, but I have many of the deep greens Dooney has done in the
Florentine and pebbled leather collections. They are beautiful and very neutral.
The fir looks like an amazing color.... now I need to add it to my collection too!

And I was doing so well, not buying handbags for the last 2 months.
Always better to buy one fantastic handbag than a bunch that are nice, but
just like all the others I already have.
You were doing so well...no new handbags for TWO months. Oh, you are funny!

Our criteria is along the same lines. I will get this wrong, but "lovetheduck" mentioned she was concerned a color would be discontinued and purchased the fir. I too worry a color will leave the line. I have the Alto Fina? in oyster and the color is very pretty.

Handbags for me, must be how Lucy Ricardo felt about a new hat in 1950's I Love Lucy.

You were doing so well...no new handbags for TWO months. Oh, you are funny!

Our criteria is along the same lines. I will get this wrong, but "lovetheduck" mentioned she was concerned a color would be discontinued and purchased the fir. I too worry a color will leave the line. I have the Alto Fina? in oyster and the color is very pretty.

Handbags for me, must be how Lucy Ricardo felt about a new hat in 1950's I Love Lucy.
When there is a unique color I really like, I've been known to buy it in 2 different styles, before they discontinue the color. Wish I had done more of that.... there were so many beautiful Florentine colors, in the day, lavender and pale blue and aqua and pale green and yellow, and purples and eggplant. Now they are gone. And unique colors in Alto are also very limited. I've missed a few because I didn't order them as soon as they showed up online. Within a day, they were gone.
Glad you got the fir.

When there is a unique color I really like, I've been known to buy it in 2 different styles, before they discontinue the color. Wish I had done more of that.... there were so many beautiful Florentine colors, in the day, lavender and pale blue and aqua and pale green and yellow, and purples and eggplant. Now they are gone. And unique colors in Alto are also very limited. I've missed a few because I didn't order them as soon as they showed up online. Within a day, they were gone.
Glad you got the fir.
I miss some of those great colors.

There are a few bags I wish I had purchased at least two. I have mentioned I had a nubuck Chelsea shopper that was a week or two old when I ruined the bag. They were so cheap at the time. I think $119.00 shipped from the outlets. The florentine is $316.00 on sale and I see one color selection in natural. The other bag I wish I purchased a second was the Tessuta woven shopper. I have the one I think was called multi. It was the most colorful. They had so many nice colors in that bag I wish I picked up more when they were on sale.

I am glad I grabbed certain bags when I did, but a few got away. The biggest wasteful splurge was the Viola. I paid too much, the handle is kind of weird and they ended up bringing the bag back. I wish the Tessuta woven shopper would make a return. I think buyers would like to see some old favorite colorways and some new color combinations.

I only carried the Tussata a couple of times, but the bag gets noticed.

I miss some of those great colors.

There are a few bags I wish I had purchased at least two. I have mentioned I had a nubuck Chelsea shopper that was a week or two old when I ruined the bag. They were so cheap at the time. I think $119.00 shipped from the outlets. The florentine is $316.00 on sale and I see one color selection in natural. The other bag I wish I purchased a second was the Tessuta woven shopper. I have the one I think was called multi. It was the most colorful. They had so many nice colors in that bag I wish I picked up more when they were on sale.

I am glad I grabbed certain bags when I did, but a few got away. The biggest wasteful splurge was the Viola. I paid too much, the handle is kind of weird and they ended up bringing the bag back. I wish the Tessuta woven shopper would make a return. I think buyers would like to see some old favorite colorways and some new color combinations.

I only carried the Tussata a couple of times, but the bag gets noticed.
Ahh... the Tessuta. I bought 1 (wine and light taupe) and wish I had bought more colors too. But I was so picky, looking over the woven leather, that I just couldn't
accept any that weren't totally perfect.

And the Viola.... the one that got away. I always loved that bag,
but knew only the largest one had a chance of working for me...maybe.
I never found it at the right price. At the time, I would have bought
either black or red. Later, I warmed up to the saddle color in Alto too.

Oh well, it's not as if I don't have a few other handbags to choose from.

Glad you got the fir.
Hello!
It has been nice chatting with you, lavenderjunkie. I appreciate the handbag info and banter the last couple of days.

My Viola is T-moro. It was all I could purchase on sale after it was reported the style would be discontinued.

Yes, the my Tessuta had issues with the first one D&B sent. I was tilted. Imagine the woven part stitched on the front of the bag off by a row of leather. I sent it back and the second one was great. The colorway you purchased was a favorite and I should have grabbed it when I had the chance. I ended up with the multi because I wanted to have a tote for the Summer.

IMO you didn't miss much with the Viola. The handle is strange and not the best design/execution. Something looks off. It is not defective but somehow is not right. I have never carried the bag. I have other Alto bags around this size or bigger that I reach for and the Viola stays in the back of my closet.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Hello!
It has been nice chatting with you, lavenderjunkie. I appreciate the handbag info and banter the last couple of days.

My Viola is T-moro. It was all I could purchase on sale after it was reported the style would be discontinued.

Yes, the my Tessuta had issues with the first one D&B sent. I was tilted. Imagine the woven part stitched on the front of the bag off by a row of leather. I sent it back and the second one was great. The colorway you purchased was a favorite and I should have grabbed it when I had the chance. I ended up with the multi because I wanted to have a tote for the Summer.

IMO you didn't miss much with the Viola. The handle is strange and not the best design/execution. Something looks off. It is not defective but somehow is not right. I have never carried the bag. I have other Alto bags around this size or bigger that I reach for and the Viola stays in the back of my closet.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.
IMO the handle attachments on many of the Alto handbags are 'strange'.
They may be interesting or artistic, but they don't allow for full range of motion
of the handles. And often, the holes where they are attached are not reinforced
or supported with any metal rings/grommets.

I think the Alto fir is a beautiful color. It's on my wish list. Dooney dark greens
are stunning and very wearable/neutral. I say this even tho green is not one
of the colors that I thought I liked! Some how I have accumulated several
Dooney handbags in dark green.... Florentine and pebbled leathers. They have different
names, but all are really very elegant colors.
Enjoy your new Alto fir handbag.