What is your favorite Bal leather??

So I think I really love distressed leather and am constantly drawn to them when I pull the trigger on deciding on a bag. I don't have enough experience and dont own a lot of oldies so I buy them based on just my gut telling me I love the look of that leather:

My absolute favourite of all time is the 2008 Bordeaux/black cherry I have in Day. I think this is what people say when they say the leather is chewy.View attachment 5723248

My second favourite is 2006 lilac I have in a M/U clutch. I think this is what people refer to as feeling silky...it's so smooth but still looks distressed:
View attachment 5723250

I also have the 07 vert foncé and 07 mogano in courier. I agree the leather is great and chewy too and I'm happily using them while I'm babying the Bordeaux and lilac in a closet because I love them too much!

View attachment 5723254View attachment 5723255

I love this thread! There was a similar thread a looking time ago on the best leather but I love this one because everyone here are experts who have owned almost all of them and their opinions have stood the test of time. Sorry I'm adding my amateur opinion here..haha

I just need to get my hands on an 05 black city and I'll feel more well rounded!
Beautiful Day!!!

• Love
Reactions: platinum_babie
You’re right. Also there’s probably no pocket behind the mirror, which tells her it’s BC. I need to go back and eyeball my BC PT. Maybe mine’s not BC
Yeah there is no pocket. Honestly when I bought the mogano courier I was hoping it was a Bordeaux and took me a while with the help of muchstuff to ID the year and color. When I got the Day (which was before I got the courier), I had zero clue what color or year it was.

It took me a much longer time to understand the clues (e.g., no pocket on mirror and no letter on tag, etc etc, to narrow down the years and then compared the colors on the color chart). It's really by deduction but if you have a new clue that tells me otherwise I'm all ears (eyes)! The redness under the sunlight threw me off too but a lot of bals give off different vibes under different lighting. I'm gonna find more pics under different light now.

Edit: the "day" I received it. Har Har. Seeing this pic I now recall that I was actually disappointed that the bag was more brown than red... And when I got the courier I was hoping that one would be redder than the day, but it turned out to be even darker.
IMG-20230223-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah there is no pocket. Honestly when I bought the mogano courier I was hoping it was a Bordeaux and took me a while with the help of muchstuff to ID the year and color. When I got the Day, I had zero clue what color or year it was. It took me a long time to understand the clues (e.g., no pocket on mirror and no letter on tag, etc etc, to narrow down the years and then compared the colors on the color chart). It's really by deduction but if you have a new clue that tells me otherwise I'm all ears (eyes)!
You’re right.

Here are 05 Bordeaux, next to 08 BC, next to 07 mogano. the mogano is definitely the most brown, and the BC is a brownish burgundy. My iPhone as usual lightens colors even though I didn’t ask it to. To the naked eye, my BC is quite darker, and doesn’t have as much saturated burgundy tones as the Bordeaux. On its own (when not next to mogano) it could pass for brown. My Bordeaux could never pretend to be brown.

All this is to say 1. Your BC is the most luscious I’ve seen, &
2. It’s frightening that I have all these colors at the ready to display side by side.

E47FE603-66EA-4D79-A8EF-D2FDC1D4AC95.jpeg

7BC41AA8-1609-4ED3-B575-E9E7AC5004D2.jpeg

IMG-20230223-WA0001.jpg
I found a comparison too! Don't be frightened...I find it hilarious I did a search term using the word bag in my google photos and I have so many photos of just bags hahaha.

I took that photo (june 2021) when I didn't know their colors and was trying to figure out how to id them. The mogano in mine looks so red in this photo and looks nothing like the one in your comparison pics. Because of this, for the longest time I did not think it was a mogano until muchstuff pointed out it's really the closest possiblity. The crazy part is, 90% if the time the bag just looks brown and you don't see any red in there (my husband calls it the big brown bag) but next to the day and under the right lighting and camera lens, it seems to pass for burgundy (I bought it hoping it was!). This is why Bal bags are so awesome and addictive hahahah

Reactions: Deco
So I think I really love distressed leather and am constantly drawn to them when I pull the trigger on deciding on a bag. I don't have enough experience and dont own a lot of oldies so I buy them based on just my gut telling me I love the look of that leather:

My absolute favourite of all time is the 2008 Bordeaux/black cherry I have in Day. I think this is what people say when they say the leather is chewy.View attachment 5723248

My second favourite is 2006 lilac I have in a M/U clutch. I think this is what people refer to as feeling silky...it's so smooth but still looks distressed:
View attachment 5723250

I also have the 07 vert foncé and 07 mogano in courier. I agree the leather is great and chewy too and I'm happily using them while I'm babying the Bordeaux and lilac in a closet because I love them too much!

View attachment 5723254View attachment 5723255

I love this thread! There was a similar thread a looking time ago on the best leather but I love this one because everyone here are experts who have owned almost all of them and their opinions have stood the test of time. Sorry I'm adding my amateur opinion here..haha

I just need to get my hands on an 05 black city and I'll feel more well rounded!
Love these. That lilac is a gem. I have a courier same era, I thought it was grenat - but based on your photo maybe mogano? I need to look at them again.

• Love
Reactions: platinum_babie
Love these. That lilac is a gem. I have a courier same era, I thought it was grenat - but based on your photo maybe mogano? I need to look at them again.

I just took this under dim daylight and the photo still looks a bit redder than the naked eye.

Show us your courier! (I love this style so much and am looking to get at least one more in a cooler tone)
16772385422648996229298186037995.jpg

20230224_123757.jpg

Last edited: