Gucci Leather Concern...Does this look normal?

Hippolyta

O.G.
Dec 28, 2010
Hi everyone. I'd love your opinion on the pictures below. I purchased this bag in the Florence boutique last May. I was wiping it down today because it picks up fingerprints so easily (one of the reasons I don't use it as often as I'd like) when I noticed the wrinkling on the leather, pictured below. I don't know if it's actually cracked, but I can definitely feel the change in texture where the wrinkles are visible. What are your thoughts? Is this something to expect with this kind of leather? I'm thinking of reaching out to the Gucci repair department while the bag is still under a year old. What do you all think?

Gucci.jpeg52EE130D-4D58-4382-826F-F0A4192E7CE6_1_201_a.jpeg963CD8AB-6A89-4713-B7D0-5845F4ED6361.jpeg

It's the nature of that leather.

As you use, it will appear worse, then when you keep wearing it will soften and look better again.
Thank you, and good to know. I wanted to make sure it wasn't an indication that the leather was dry or cracked or something.

Any advice on how to keep the bag fingerprint free? Or the best way to wipe it down? I don't mind scratches from use. I actually quite like the more worn-in, casual look those marks give the bag. But the fingerprints drive me nuts because they make it look dirty and kind of ratty. If I could figure out a way to avoid fingerprints, or easily wipe them away throughout the day, I'd use this as my daily bag.

Thank you, and good to know. I wanted to make sure it wasn't an indication that the leather was dry or cracked or something.

Any advice on how to keep the bag fingerprint free? Or the best way to wipe it down? I don't mind scratches from use. I actually quite like the more worn-in, casual look those marks give the bag. But the fingerprints drive me nuts because they make it look dirty and kind of ratty. If I could figure out a way to avoid fingerprints, or easily wipe them away throughout the day, I'd use this as my daily bag.

The leather will get smoother and more resilient the more you wear. The fingerprints should then be less noticeable. Just keep going with it :tup: lovely, lovely bag

Reactions: Hippolyta
The leather will get smoother and more resilient the more you wear. The fingerprints should then be less noticeable. Just keep going with it :tup: lovely, lovely bag
Thanks again! I adore this bag and would be heartbroken if something happened to it. It's been so disappointing that I feel like I can't use it as much as I'd like. But, with your advice, I'l be changing that.

What, exactly, kind of leather is this? I'm used to the hardier, seemingly indestructible pebbled leather on my Dionysus and Evelyne, or the guccissima leather. I'd like to try and learn more about how to properly care for this smoother leather.

Reactions: papertiger
Thanks again! I adore this bag and would be heartbroken if something happened to it. It's been so disappointing that I feel like I can't use it as much as I'd like. But, with your advice, I'l be changing that.

What, exactly, kind of leather is this? I'm used to the hardier, seemingly indestructible pebbled leather on my Dionysus and Evelyne, or the guccissima leather. I'd like to try and learn more about how to properly care for this smoother leather.

I don't have this bag but I did try it, and would have bought it apart from the G U C C I on the bag itself (I'm actually quite shy of advertising designer names and more into House icons). I don't want t guess, but I'm pretty sure it's saddle leather from feel and the way it's behaving. It should be durable, structured but not scratch resistant. Water OK, but not not oil proof (which is what it shows fingerprints).

Reactions: Hippolyta
I don't have this bag but I did try it, and would have bought it apart from the G U C C I on the bag itself (I'm actually quite shy of advertising designer names and more into House icons). I don't want t guess, but I'm pretty sure it's saddle leather from feel and the way it's behaving. It should be durable, structured but not scratch resistant. Water OK, but not not oil proof (which is what it shows fingerprints).
I agree it will show scratches, but IMO they can be reduced with a proper leather cream. I’m obviously only speaking about superficial scratches.
Don’t worry about it, enjoy it, it is a beautiful leather and it shows even in the pics.

Thank you both! I didn't think to ask what kind of leather it was when I bought it because I was dazzled by being in THE Gucci Boutique in Florence. It was all very magical! Once I got home, I became curious. LOL

From your good advice, I'm resolved to use it regularly as I've always wanted to. And I look forward to seeing how this beauty ages!