What is your favorite Bal leather??

Oh @Conni618 it does look like amazing Chevre. These bags from back then are truly special. That’s what I love about Bal oldies. They’re really one of a kind, depending on the leather and each one has their own singular beauty.

I try not to think about past bags that I’ve sold since it pains me. Haha But I remember my old black Weekender with Pewter hardware that had the silkiest leather and I also wonder if I’ve elevated it to this Unicorn. So many of us here have our stoopid regrettable stories of selling old Bals, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. :hugs:
Ugh seriously. I sold a mint MINT turquoise city and it had fabulous leather too... Kicking myself for that as well.

Ugh seriously. I sold a mint MINT turquoise city and it had fabulous leather too... Kicking myself for that as well.
Feels crazy now, but I’m betting you had a good reason. Problem is we don’t remember the reason, only that it’s gone! I like to think we were dealing with a huge Vet bill! :thinking:

• Haha
Reactions: fayden
They absolutely can be unique. Something we lose sight of when we have an itch to sell. But it is silly to feel loss when we think of the bags gone by. It was always necessary when we sold them. Not always easy to remember exactly why we did it, but reasonable to trust our past self. :drinks:
I have sold such beauties aaaaaahhhhh, and all because I don't really carry them enough and my daughter grew up into a minimalist (grad student with very little money) and sent me questions about how to find similar card holder and a small purse like Saint Laurent with almost no visible logo .. beige and black and smoke-grey ... sooo what I did was - I of course sacrificed my Bals and bought her the gorgeous 'minimalist" camel coat and Saint Laurent card case and a crossbody. And am saving for further adventures in fashion and travel with her. She never wanted anything aside from Lululemon and now she wants a bit more sophistication, but all neutral. Which I do not have, NOTHING to offer her, nothing at all. I love monochromatic outfit, but bags and boots/shoes and scarves must have an "umph" colour or texture or ..... so I left myself a few beauties / oldies in my Bal rainbow, and the rest with no regrets go to those who will carry them, not just enjoy looking at them in the closet like me....and the funds are going to my DD and our fun together.

Here are my Bals and the chevre in the top pivoine travel and red bowler and Bordeaux twiggy is the leather I would gladly have on all my bags, but alas….. agneau it is for the rest….coquelicot Sunday, tangerine Sunday, dark violet city, Jacinthe handle clutch, coquelicot envelope clutch, anthracite metallic envelope and red ? Shoulder made into hip …….now although not chevre, this weekender is so beautiful in rouille …sent to LMB and they repaired holes, piping, handles…it was worth it to gift it another lifetime

7984FB45-9893-40CE-81D6-053FD1F2B20F.jpegE8C54135-B392-48C4-895B-EF0DCAC561B9.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the old leathers, but a surprising standout year for me was 2007, both for leather quality and the colors. 07 Anthracite, Mogano, Tomato, Steel, Grape, and my favorite of all, Vert Fonce. It is to my undying shame and regret that at one point I owned ALL OF THESE, and sold ALL OF THEM. The pain of regret only grows. Father time ain't healing nothing there.
I needed to see your post to inspire me to bring out my bals, they’ve been hibernating for so long. 2007 was indeed a great year for Bal leather. I still have my Anthracite and Mogano GGH City

Last edited:
So I think I really love distressed leather and am constantly drawn to them when I pull the trigger on deciding on a bag. I don't have enough experience and dont own a lot of oldies so I buy them based on just my gut telling me I love the look of that leather:

My absolute favourite of all time is the 2008 Bordeaux/black cherry I have in Day. I think this is what people say when they say the leather is chewy.20210626_172154.jpg

My second favourite is 2006 lilac I have in a M/U clutch. I think this is what people refer to as feeling silky...it's so smooth but still looks distressed:
20210624_113842.jpg

I also have the 07 vert foncé and 07 mogano in courier. I agree the leather is great and chewy too and I'm happily using them while I'm babying the Bordeaux and lilac in a closet because I love them too much!

20210330_114646.jpg20210421_111126.jpg

I love this thread! There was a similar thread a looking time ago on the best leather but I love this one because everyone here are experts who have owned almost all of them and their opinions have stood the test of time. Sorry I'm adding my amateur opinion here..haha

I just need to get my hands on an 05 black city and I'll feel more well rounded!

Last edited:
So I think I really love distressed leather and am constantly drawn to them when I pull the trigger on deciding on a bag. I don't have enough experience and dont own a lot of oldies so I buy them based on just my gut telling me I love the look of that leather:

My absolute favourite of all time is the 2008 Bordeaux/black cherry I have in Day. I think this is what people say when they say the leather is chewy.View attachment 5723248

My second favourite is 2006 lilac I have in a M/U clutch. I think this is what people refer to as feeling silky...it's so smooth but still looks distressed:
View attachment 5723250

I also have the 07 vert foncé and 07 mogano in courier. I agree the leather is great and chewy too and I'm happily using them while I'm babying the Bordeaux and lilac in a closet because I love them too much!

View attachment 5723254View attachment 5723255

I love this thread! There was a similar thread a looking time ago on the best leather but I love this one because everyone here are experts who have owned almost all of them and their opinions have stood the test of time. Sorry I'm adding my amateur opinion here..haha

I just need to get my hands on an 05 black city and I'll feel more well rounded!
Just curious, how do you know that day is 08 black cherry? I ask because I have a 08 black cherry PT and the color runs more brown than your day. It’s actually more like my mogano PT than my 05 Bordeaux bags. Yours looks very red. I would have guessed 06 Grenat.

Either way, they’re all beautiful, especially that day.

• Love
Reactions: platinum_babie
Just curious, how do you know that day is 08 black cherry? I ask because I have a 08 black cherry PT and the color runs more brown than your day. It’s actually more like my mogano PT than my 05 Bordeaux bags. Yours looks very red. I would have guessed 06 Grenat.

Either way, they’re all beautiful, especially that day.
The zipper tape looks darker on the black cherry than the bordeaux to me.

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/comparison-shots-bordy-05-vs-black-cherry-08.322211/