Show me your Plumes - An Ode!

@DoggieBags I love your comparison pix! Here are some more, of 2 of my Plumes: 28 in ebene porosus lisse & 32 in blue jean epsom. To me the 28 is sheer perfection in terms of its size & proportions - so delicate & refined while also being amazingly functional - but I agree with @papertiger that the 32 is good for day trips because of the added capacity (mine can fit a very small sweater AND a very large iPad). Speaking of which, does anyone have a travel Plume, & if so, do you have comments/pix to share?

View attachment 5687968

View attachment 5687969

View attachment 5687970

Alas I do not, I know a man who does - @allanrvj

Thank you!! Actually, I tried putting it on my shoulder and I have a very average build...it's just too tight for me. It'll be hand or crook of arm carry for me and I'm ok with that. :smile:

Congratulations, the colour is absolutely TDF

Too tight for me too.

@bagsrightnow Those handles look longer than they are, don't forget they have to span the depth

• Thanks
Reactions: Antonia
Back in 2009, when the Hermès website had a section called Les Ailes d'Hermès, I saw the most beautiful bag ever.

View attachment 5193667

I was (and still am) obsessed with this Plume size that even until now, I have an album on my phone dedicated to it:

View attachment 5193668

I couldn't buy it that time because I just bought a HAC 40. Later on I decided to go the preloved route, but in the 10 or so years in searching the secondary market, I only found this, which was almost priced like brand new and was located outside the EU (VAT and customs charges will cripple me):

View attachment 5193672

And this one which costs like a car:
View attachment 5193675

I kind of forgot about it until Hermès came up with the Volynka leather and they made a bag in the exact Plume size I want. I was so obsessed that I spammed the Volynka thread with my "research" :lol:.

View attachment 5193680

I kind of forgot about it again because life happened, until I went back to Paris last month and saw the Volynka Birkin and mini Kelly displayed at the FSH window.

View attachment 5193703

I thought, "Ah yeah, I used to be so much into this!"

Having sold the HAC some years ago and me turning 40 two months ago, I thought it was time to get a new bag from the store. And i'm glad I did because the SA said it was the last one in Europe.

img_0153-jpg.5193636

img_0155-jpg.5193634

img_0158-jpg.5193635

I would have to probably wait a VERY long time for this to appear in the preloved market.

So that's the story of how I went through a cycle of obsessing, forgetting, and remembering to get my first Plume :heart:
OMG @allanrvj - WHAT a glorious bag!!!! And what a fantastic story - with the perfect happy ending. So pleased for you & your Plume.

• Love
Reactions: allanrvj
Apologies for spamming this thread but I just want to share this:

IMG_3559.jpg

Because travel Plumes don't get a raincoat, I made a flimsy one from two transparent plastic bags.

I know Volynka is waterproof, but because I don't fill my bag to full capacity, it has gotten a valley (I don't know what else to call it) between the two handles. So the last time I carried it while raining, rainwater collected on the valley and formed a small puddle. The water then seeped through the zipper and slightly damaged the Swift lining. It's all okay now. The Swift lining just got a tiny bit discolored around the zipper when it dried.

So to avoid that I made a raincoat. lol

Last edited:

View attachment 5694260

Because travel Plumes don't get a raincoat, I made a flimsy one from two transparent plastic bags.

I know Volynka is waterproof, but because I don't fill my bag to full capacity, it has gotten a valley (I don't know what else to call it) between the two handles. So the last time I carried it while raining, rainwater collected on the valley and formed a small puddle. The water then seeped through the zipper and slightly damaged the Swift lining. It's all okay now. The Swift lining just got a tiny bit discolored around the zipper when it dried.

Very creative :smile:

• Thanks
Reactions: allanrvj

View attachment 5694260

Not spamming at all! I love your posts!!

Long post

20 years ago, a clueless girl bought a black bag from Mango and a leather wallet from some unknown leather shop. She loved them, wore them until the items fell apart.

The girl gained some wisdom, grew up to become a woman that she is, and to her horror, realized that the bag was an inspired Plume and the wallet a fake bearn. Both from Hermes!

——————
I tell my husband that it is completely FATE and NOT MY fault that I am addicted to Hermes. I was unwittingly drawn to it since a young age. it’s ingrained in me.

So here’s my recently acquired, 20-yr-old Plume 32, Blue Thalassa, GHW to remind me of the naive girl I was, and how far I’ve become.

PS: I am so glad to spot this at the right time with the right price. Plume is so simple, so streamlined, that it benefits from the fun vibrato. And that it comes in Blue, my gap colour from H AND in GHW is just serendipity.

50388624-B3B8-47A8-A0F1-B06910447CF4.jpeg
DAD924EF-0970-458D-8234-7EC4BF70C2AC.jpeg

Last edited:
I am amazed at the capacity of this Plume 32. It even fits my work laptop. Everything fits snugly but I do not have to tetris them.
The vibrato is sturdy and structured and do not sag with all these items in. The weight might stretch the handles though.

I tried this with Kelly 85cm strap and it looks much better (delicate and suitable) than the canvas 105cm (chunky and awkward). Will only use straps when I do not carry so many stuffs.

E462465D-1466-4F96-9B31-13F5C7787D72.jpegF036D91F-4383-49F9-A534-AE1F81E36AC3.jpeg

I am amazed at the capacity of this Plume 32. It even fits my work laptop. Everything fits snugly but I do not have to tetris them.
The vibrato is sturdy and structured and do not sag with all these items in. The weight might stretch the handles though.

I tried this with Kelly 85cm strap and it looks much better (delicate and suitable) than the canvas 105cm (chunky and awkward). Will only use straps when I do not carry so many stuffs.

View attachment 5759142View attachment 5759143
This is a stunningly gorjus bag and so very rare... What size is your laptop? How do you attach the shoulder strap? One very experienced H craftsman once said that the plume was his favorite H bag...not the B/K/C trifecta.

• Insightful
Reactions: PrayersandPurses
This is a stunningly gorjus bag and so very rare... What size is your laptop? How do you attach the shoulder strap? One very experienced H craftsman once said that the plume was his favorite H bag...not the B/K/C trifecta.
Thank you!

I attach the straps on the metals that hold the handles. Now, I‘ve read all 84 pages here and see conflicting opinions about doing this. I have to experiment for myself.

My early judgement is that, it’s OK to use shoulder straps if the content is light (sunglasses, Calvi, umbrella, keys). The bag itself is not heavy. I would not use the straps with the bag fully loaded. With the laptop in, I would probably cradle it in the crook of my arm like a baby :biggrin:

Laptop is a 14-inch HP.

D0857D25-349A-45A3-98C8-665F00738395.jpeg