What do y'all think about the Balenciaga SS23 & Adidas collab "teddy" controversy?

What's your take in the Balenciaga teddy bear controversay?

• It's harmless

Votes: 23 3.2%
  • It's disgusting

Votes: 553 76.7%
  • It's just to garner attention - Balenciaga being Balenciaga

Votes: 94 13.0%
  • I don't know what to think

Votes: 46 6.4%
  • What controversay? (links in post)

Votes: 5 0.7%

• Total voters
Bears repeating!
We'd like to leave this thread open, but political conspiracy theories, among other comments need to stop. Discuss the topic only please, let's keep the discussion open and all responses to others need to remain respectful.

Also, let’s stick closely to topic, it really helps preventing tangents and drama.

Last edited:
I am referring to the outrage.

Like I said. I don’t care about the ads. Censorship in countries may restrict those ads from appearing.

If I look at twitter, the ad is going to be far more commented on, than the people highlighting the REAL issues.

It’s called making stupid people/ brands more famous, instead of making media more responsive to the real crap in the world. If ads are so influential on people’s behaviour enough to take their attention away from current affairs of the world, then there’s a visible breakdown in humanity‘s intelligence.
Social media is powerful though. Even if it causes only a few people to become more informed, and try to do something, anything, I'm ok with that.
I don't think anyone forgot about the current affairs of the world. It is possible to care about both.

Social media is powerful though. Even if it causes only a few people to become more informed, and try to do something, anything, I'm ok with that.
I don't think anyone forgot about the current affairs of the world. It is possible to care about both.

Barbie dolls are still in circulation despite years of media outrage and they are the worst items to sexualise young girls. Mattel is still making money out of those.

We can shut down Balenciaga teddy bears but the bigger culprit is out there.

• Haha
Reactions: 2manychins
Barbie dolls are still in circulation despite years of media outrage and they are the worst items to sexualise young girls. Mattel is still making money out of those.

We can shut down Balenciaga teddy bears but the bigger culprit is out there.
Not sure about Barbie sexualizing kids, but that's not what this thread is about.

Not sure about Barbie sexualizing kids, but that's not what this thread is about.

Thread is about teddy bears donning bondage gear photographed with children holding them as a form of sexualisation. Is it not? Those bears are far more expensive than the affordable barbie which hit the masses.

Barbies are a similar form of toy targeted at young children, girls specifically, but more affordable. Balenciaga ads tend to stick to Balenciaga boutiques or during targeted advertising. Barbie advertising hit prime children show times more.

So if we protest against the sexualisation of children in the ad of an overpriced brand, shouldn’t we protest against all?

Reactions: GraffS
Thread is about teddy bears donning bondage gear photographed with children holding them as a form of sexualisation. Is it not? Those bears are far more expensive than the affordable barbie which hit the masses.

Barbies are a similar form of toy targeted at young children, girls specifically, but more affordable. Balenciaga ads tend to stick to Balenciaga boutiques or during targeted advertising. Barbie advertising hit prime children show times more.

So if we protest against the sexualisation of children in the ad of an overpriced brand, shouldn’t we protest against all?

Barbie is pretty far off topic for this thread. You could start a thread in general chat for that.
This is about Balenciaga.

Side Note: I grew up with Barbies and I'm not over sexualized & my self esteem is just fine. I think parenting plays a fairly large role in how children perceive themselves through the imagery of ads & toys.

I have not seen any ads with children holding Barbie Dolls dressed in bondage gear?
From what I understand, Barbie dolls provide unrealistic portrayals of women, even in India they are white, blue eyed and blond. I see how this is a problem and how it could affect a child's confidence perhaps?
I'm not the person to ask, I hated them and put some in a toaster oven and started a fire.

Barbie is pretty far off topic for this thread. You could start a thread in general chat for that.
This is about Balenciaga.

Side Note: I grew up with Barbies and I'm not over sexualized & my self esteem is just fine. I think parenting plays a fairly large role in how children perceive themselves through the imagery of ads & toys.
Not really. Balenciaga is accused of promoting sexualisation of children. Why should stop at one brand only?

Demna achieved his shock jock value by people singling out Balenciaga. If all brands who even dare hint at sexualising kids, lump the scummy brands and paedophiles up together with Balenciaga, and drag them all down to out-of-business hell.

Balenciaga can survive alone on controversy. But when it is lumped in with questionable brands and people of disrepute, it can’t crawl out. Simple as that. Make Demna and all the directors unemployable - isn’t that the punishment you all would like to see?

Side note: lucky I never cared for Balenciaga. Only had one motobag from ages ago.

Not really. Balenciaga is accused of promoting sexualisation of children. Why should stop at one brand only?

Demna achieved his shock jock value by people singling out Balenciaga. If all brands who even dare hint at sexualising kids, lump the scummy brands and paedophiles up together with Balenciaga, and drag them all down to out-of-business hell.

Balenciaga can survive alone on controversy. But when it is lumped in with questionable brands and people of disrepute, it can’t crawl out. Simple as that. Make Demna and all the directors unemployable - isn’t that the punishment you all would like to see?

Side note: lucky I never cared for Balenciaga. Only had one motobag from ages ago.

Because this is the Balenciaga board and this thread is about Balenciaga.
The mods have repeatedly asked to stick to that topic to avoid tangents & drama.

Because this is the Balenciaga board and this thread is about Balenciaga.
The mods have repeatedly asked to stick to that topic to avoid tangents & drama.
I am talking about Demna.

Is he not part of Balenciaga? How would we want to see Balenciaga punished? They took down the pics. He apologised. Next? Demna’s and all their senior directors’ resignations?

Reactions: 880

I was responding to that and the fact Barbie was brought into the convo.
I'm not getting any further down the rabbit hole with this.

It's delved into accusations of individuals rather than focusing on what the brand allowed to happen & those that participated.

Reactions: 2manychins
It is interesting that some of the people commenting here never cared about Bals in the first place. For many of us die hard Bal fans, our bags are precious, searching for beautiful oldies was a joy that helped me relieve stress from my high pressure job. I never owned any logo-stamped designer bags, I hate logos. I collected Bals because they had beautiful silky, smooshy, puffy leather in beautiful colors, were lightweight, not too formal and had no logos. That brand largely died after Nicholas G left. I have not bought a new Bal since 2012. When Demna took charge, many of us commented on the cheapening of the brand and some of his outrageous in your face buy it if you are so stupid designs. So, to me, current Balenciaga has nothing to do with my beloved oldies. To blame me for carrying my Bals is irrational and cruel. I am just as disgusted and disturbed by the recent ads as most of you, but boycotting preDemna Bals is not justified, IMO.

I was responding to that and the fact Barbie was brought into the convo.
I'm not getting any further down the rabbit hole with this.

It's delved into accusations of individuals rather than focusing on what the brand allowed to happen & those that participated.
The first ones on the chopping board are always the creative directors and other senior directors who would see and then approve the ad.

Demna stands out because he is the creative director. If he said a firm no, do you think the ad will go ahead with photography and publishing?

Now the true victims are those two poor kids in the pictures. Imagine when they grow up and learn about the controversy.

Reactions: Tsunami and 880
The first ones on the chopping board are always the creative directors and other senior directors who would see and then approve the ad.

Demna stands out because he is the creative director. If he said a firm no, do you think the ad will be photographed and published?

Now the true victims are those two poor kids on the pictures. Imagine when they grow up and learn about the controversy.

Again with the "YOU" why on earth do you believe I am in favor of Demna, the photos or any of their actions? I haven't bought ONE THING from Bal since he came aboard. In fact, I own nothing newer than 2014, I'm totally divorced from the current brand.

I believe people should boycott BUT life is too short to punish ourselves or each other for the sins of others.
I will not be attacked or shamed for using/keeping my old bags that had nothing to do with this direction Bal has taken.
Those kids have parents and they were there. Some of the blame falls on them too.

Reactions: lilapot
Again with the "YOU" why on earth do you believe I am in favor of Demna, the photos or any of their actions? I haven't bought ONE THING from Bal since he came aboard. In fact, I own nothing newer than 2014, I'm totally divorced from the current brand.

I believe people should boycott BUT life is too short to punish ourselves or each other for the sins of others.
I will not be attacked or shamed for using/keeping my old bags that had nothing to do with this direction Bal has taken.
Those kids have parents and they were there. Some of the blame falls on them too.

I am talking about Demna and what should be the appropriate punishment if people want something done about this controversy.

P.S.
I did mention I own a motobag from eons ago. Nicholas Ghesquiere was the designer then. So no attacks there. Not sure why you think that you are being attacked.

I am talking about Demna and what should be the appropriate punishment if people want something done about this controversy.

P.S.
I did mention I own a motobag from eons ago. So no attacks there. Not sure why you think that you are being attacked.

I personally don't feel attacked but many of your posts seemed accusatory toward members here or people in general.
I responded to the other brands being brought into the convo..

I think they should all be fired. PERIOD
I believe Bal should be boycotted until all involved are fired.
But in the end; I haven't liked anything for the last 8 yrs or so and I don't believe anyone should feel guilty for enjoying what they already own.