Dooney Deals and Sales Chat

I'm excited, I just bought a Florentine Satchel in Natural and Medium and a Pebble Zip Zip in Elephant. My first D&B purses.

I have two questions I am hoping more seasoned owners can help with. Thanks in advance for your help:

1. On care, although the site says it needs the leather needs nothing (Florentine). That seems counterintuitive. Do you treat them?

2. What the loop tabs at the bottom of Zip Zip are for, if any known purpose? (marked in yellow)
elephant.png

I'm excited, I just bought a Florentine Satchel in Natural and Medium and a Pebble Zip Zip in Elephant. My first D&B purses.

I have two questions I am hoping more seasoned owners can help with. Thanks in advance for your help:

1. On care, although the site says it needs the leather needs nothing (Florentine). That seems counterintuitive. Do you treat them?

2. What the loop tabs at the bottom of Zip Zip are for, if any known purpose? (marked in yellow)
View attachment 5673494
First, the easy one.... the loop tabs on the bottom of the zip zip are there to help you anchor the bag when you open or close the zipper all the way to the bottom.
Think of them as little handles to help balance the bag if needed. They are NOT for attaching the shoulder strap.

Regarding Florentine leather.... I don't generally condition my new Florentine handbags. After about 2 years, if a bag feels dry or looks like it could use
some TLC, I will lightly condition it with Apple Brand Conditioner. Other ladies
not only condition their Florentine bags, but some also treat them for water resistance.

I'm concerned that conditioning can interfere with the color on some handbags. Also, over conditioning may affect the stitching and weaken the attachment of handles/straps.

Reactions: moneymeister
First, the easy one.... the loop tabs on the bottom of the zip zip are there to help you anchor the bag when you open or close the zipper all the way to the bottom.
Think of them as little handles to help balance the bag if needed. They are NOT for attaching the shoulder strap.

Regarding Florentine leather.... I don't generally condition my new Florentine handbags. After about 2 years, if a bag feels dry or looks like it could use
some TLC, I will lightly condition it with Apple Brand Conditioner. Other ladies
not only condition their Florentine bags, but some also treat them for water resistance.

I'm concerned that conditioning can interfere with the color on some handbags. Also, over conditioning may affect the stitching and weaken the attachment of handles/straps.
Hi lavenderjunkie, thank you for taking the time to respond. The tabs on the bottom make sense now. I wondered about the strap there but imagined the bag would flip upside down :smile:

I appreciate your take on conditioner. I always have immediately treated leathers for waterproofing, but I am completely out of my realm of understanding with this purse. Your routine sounds very reasonable. I will emulate it.

June 22, 2023
Lots of sales on I Love Dooney and Dooney websites
over the past few weeks.
So.... what did you add to your collection?

I fell off the wagon, after several months of handbag restraint
(for me that means only one or two new handbags).
In the last few weeks I've added 2 Altos, 2 floral Drawstrings,
a pebbled leather D/S, a small Ostrich D/S, and 2 Florentine
handbags. Whew..... I'm done.

Time for everyone to fess up so I don't feel so wicked.

I’m trying to hold out as well after selling many of my Florentine. Kept a natural small satchel, Cameron crossbody natural and Black. Now want a Cameron CB in Chestnut LOL. Of course kept my red micro satchel. Bought several made in USA artisan bags that I love but flo is flo

June 22, 2023
Lots of sales on I Love Dooney and Dooney websites
over the past few weeks.
So.... what did you add to your collection?

I fell off the wagon, after several months of handbag restraint
(for me that means only one or two new handbags).
In the last few weeks I've added 2 Altos, 2 floral Drawstrings,
a pebbled leather D/S, a small Ostrich D/S, and 2 Florentine
handbags. Whew..... I'm done.

Time for everyone to fess up so I don't feel so wicked.
That’s great! Please share pictures when those beauties arrive!

Can you tell me about this line? They look so posh. What makes that line so expensive?
Kitty: the Dooney Alto line is made in Italy and uses a high quality leather. The styles
are generally understated. Like Florentine, the leather will patina (lighter colors),
but scratches cannot be buffed out. The bags tend to be structured in design and
the leather is full grain, thick and smooth with a very fine (natural) grain.
The Dooney site sometimes has descriptions
of the leather used in Alto handbags.
Also, FYI, the interiors do not have the organization and pockets of the other
Dooney collections.

• Insightful
Reactions: KiltyR45