The beauty of MAX MARA coats...(photos please)

I know this thread is for the coats that Max Mara is known for, but do any of you have experience with their tailored pieces? I’m deciding on a pair of trousers and like a few styles (Max Mara, Versace, Theory, and Helmut Lang). I’m wondering if Max Mara pants are top quality. I assume they’d be a bit nicer than the Theory and Helmut Lang, but are they on par with Valentino / Versace / McQueen craftsmanship?
Hi! I was hooked on Max Mara clothing for work (pre-COVID), and I'd be happy to share my thoughts.

On fit...
In a nutshell, to me, I feel the Max Mara main line (I mainly purchased clothing from the main line) is cut for curvy women.
As FYI, I am not curvy, I am 5' 2", 108lbs. I love Max Mara though which is why I buy so much of it... except pants! No more Max Mara pants for me, ever. :biggrin: :heart:

On pants...
I find the pants are very high waisted, and the hip area is very generous. I've bought about 10 pairs of their pants (to match a suit), and everytime, I have had to alter the pants to slim down the hip area. The Max Mara tailors do a great job with alterations, but even then, the waist also fits a bit too high on me or the crotch area has too much fabric. Even though you cannot see the waist under my suit jacket, I never felt great wearing their pants. So... I stopped buying their pants and stay with skirts for my suits.

On quality..
I find the main Max Mara clothing to be of great quality. The fabrics are very nice, the lining is done well, and most pieces are made in Italy, especially their suit separates.

Of the brands you listed, I would put Max Mara in the same category as Valentino. I think Max Mara is better than Helmut Lang and Versace. I don't buy McQueen, so no thoughts on McQueen. Theory is the lowest to me, by far. I find Theory very cheap in quality.

On Theory...
This brand to me is cut for straighter figures like mine, so this brand actually fits me the best. I almost never need to alter anything except the sleeve length and pant length. However, they are the worst in quality, so I stopped buying from this brand.

Hope this helps.

Everything written above by BigAkoya is true for me also. If you have a slimmer waistline or you prefer slightly fitted pants, you will probably have to pay the tailor a visit. Almost all my Max Mara suits are tailored, but I like their suits too much and will probably keep buying, as I have found them to be suitable on almost all occasions.
Regarding quality, I would say it is good, on par with Valentino, but slightly worse than Mcqueen.

The ones listed on Cetire are the Madame2 which isn't lined. It's also made of synthetic materials.
I do get confused sometimes for a second when I see madame2 but this one was definitely the wool and cashmere coat, unfortunately it is gone now. The price in pounds was 1100, plus I think they had extra 10% discount and as soon as I saw it I thought I’d post here if someone could snap a deal quickly. I still have the reminder email from them with the link for the coat and it comes with a different price and no sizes left

ABE25F1D-BF7C-435A-A3DF-554A34A6AE47.png

Reactions: aseno001
Sportmax is their lower price point collection. It's fine, but the top line is the main Max Mara line, all Made in Italy with fine fabrics.
Even S, Weekend... most of their pieces are not Made in Italy if that matters to you. The difference is also in the fabric, the lower priced lines are often blended fabric (e.g. a little cashmere, a little wool, a camel hair, all blended). In the Max Mara line, you will see more 100% pure fabrics such as 100% cashmere, 100% camel hair, etc. I think the lower priced lines are mostly virgin wool or a wool blend.

I think any Max Mara line is fine. It depends on your needs..."depends on your needs".. what an empty statement! :biggrin: :heart:
Ok, let me be more specific to try and help as Max Mara pricing is all over the place to me for their coats. You can get a $4K coat and a $1K coat, and upfront they look the same.

If you want top quality, I would go for the Max Mara line. Their 100% cashmere and 100% camel hair coats are stuff of legend. It's a higher price point, but their coats last forever. You almost want the coat to get beat up so you can buy a new one, but they just keep ticking and looking great. Fabric is super luxurious.

If you want warmth for freezing cold temperatures, their 100% camel hair coats are amazing. The SA convinced me to try camel hair (I am a cashmere die-hard thinking in my mind it's the best). Wow... camel hair is warmer than cashmere, and I like that thick dense texture. With the other lines, the coats are mostly in virgin wool, and the warmth is not quite there.

If you want a fashionable coat for mid-winter weather to bop around, 100% virgin wool is usually good enough. You won't get that luxurious feel or look of cashmere or camel hair, but if the coat looks chic, then you get the chic look! It's also a lower price point too if the coat is more on the trendy side vs. a classic style.

One more thought... I think it's really important to consider the level of warmth you want. I once purchased a coat from Burberry. I loved the style, it was Made in Italy. The design was also a warm & toasty design with a funnel neck. I thought... I am going to be so warm and so cute! But nope... I was cute, but I was freezing! The darn coat was not warm due to the fabric, virgin wool, on the thinner side. Ugh... the few times I wore that coat, I was cold. When I tried to wear it on warmer winter days, the fabric was good, but the design was a "warm & toasty" style it looked a bit ridiculous for a warm winter day. I hope that made sense.
For a true warm cozy winter coat, for me... it's cashmere or camel hair. Virgin wool and wool-blends do not work for me.

Anyway, just some thoughts to share my coat stories. I hope this was helpful. Good luck!
So many choices! I think you will love Max Mara!
That's so insightful! Will the 100% camel hair coat keep us warm in winter in France? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: BigAkoya
That's so insightful! Will the 100% camel hair coat keep us warm in winter in France? Thanks in advance.
Hi! Yes, I have been to Paris in the winter, and for me, my camel coat was perfect. I wore a scarf for my neck as the wind does blow often.

For me, I love Max Mara 100% camel coats. The camel is super warm, but it is not super thick or weighs a lot like some wool blend coats. Some wool blend coats are heavy because they need that extra thickness to compensate for the lack of warmth if it were the same weight as camel. I hope that made sense.

Cashmere is also warm too, but I find camel a bit warmer and perfect for me. The Max Mara SA also said pure camel is warmer than pure cashmere.

Since we are talking warmth, as FYI, for me, I find alpaca too warm as alpaca is often made so thick too.

A lot has to do with the thickness/weight of the fabric, and for me, my 100% camel Max Mara coats are perfect for winter.

Hope this helps.

Hi! Yes, I have been to Paris in the winter, and for me, my camel coat was perfect. I wore a scarf for my neck as the wind does blow often.

For me, I love Max Mara 100% camel coats. The camel is super warm, but it is not super thick or weighs a lot like some wool blend coats. Some wool blend coats are heavy because they need that extra thickness to compensate for the lack of warmth if it were the same weight as camel. I hope that made sense.

Cashmere is also warm too, but I find camel a bit warmer and perfect for me. The Max Mara SA also said pure camel is warmer than pure cashmere.

Since we are talking warmth, as FYI, for me, I find alpaca too warm as alpaca is often made so thick too.

A lot has to do with the thickness/weight of the fabric, and for me, my 100% camel Max Mara coats are perfect for winter.

Hope this helps.
This super helps! Thank you for taking time to write such an insightful piece of advice. Im totally convinced now ❤️

Hi everyone I wonder if any 101801 coat owners could help me with a little dilemma. I have had a Madame 101801 in a UK size 6 for just over a year but I’d prefer a looser fit now. I played too safe with the size when I bought it, not wanting the coat to look too bulky as I’m short. I’m not sure if an 8 or 10 would be best now. I did try both those sizes when I bought my coat. I’m 158cm and 136lbs. I can’t get to store til Friday and I’m dying to order online…….Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone I wonder if any 101801 coat owners could help me with a little dilemma. I have had a Madame 101801 in a UK size 6 for just over a year but I’d prefer a looser fit now. I played too safe with the size when I bought it, not wanting the coat to look too bulky as I’m short. I’m not sure if an 8 or 10 would be best now. I did try both those sizes when I bought my coat. I’m 158cm and 136lbs. I can’t get to store til Friday and I’m dying to order online…….Thank you in advance!
Hi, if you are ordering online, I would suggest you buy both sizes to try on and keep the one that fits you the best.
I do that all the time, and I just return the one I do not want. I do it for peace of mind.

On your size, I know many people like to size down so they look like they're not wearing an oversized coat, but oversized is the look. It is not meant to be a fitted look, and I think some people are not used to the slouchy look so they downsize. I think people also size down as buying the "bigger" size can be a mental thing too. Ignore the sizing number; it is just a number. Always go for fit.

For Max Mara, I have found their sizing chart to be true to size for me. I am a US size 2 or 4 which is IT size 36 or 38.
For coats, while I always try on both sizes, I seem to always end up with the larger size, the 38.

The decision in choosing the size for coats is not so much your weight or height. The key to a good fit is your shoulder width as these coats are all about the shoulder.

I am 5' 2", 108lbs, but I have broad shoulders for my height. This is why sometimes I am a size 36 and others a size 38.
For Max Mara, I seem to buy the size 38, the bigger of the two.

One more thing... sizing is just a number. I can tell you are not hung up on buying the "smaller" size given your question.
Some people are hung up on buying a bigger size, and I would say this...
Ignore the numbers. If you are used to buying FR clothing sizes, they are numbered so small. UK numbers seem so big!
For me, I am a US 4, UK 6, FR 36, IT 38, NL 34. It's so crazy if you look at it. It's just a number.

So... ignore any mental anguish of a sizing number. Order them both, put on your thickest sweater, button the coat up, cross your arms back and forth and feel the pull, look at you shoulders, and then decide which you love the most. Look at the fit, and "feel" how it fits, especially when you cross your arms back and forth.

Here is the Max Mara sizing chart which I find to be accurate based on my purchases.
Hope this helps, and congrats on your soon to be new coat!

1670859543585.png

Thank you, I might just wait til I can go back to the Max Mara store and try the two sizes again. I’ve been thinking about the dark grey online but it’s out of stock in UK 8. If a Madame UK 10 is best fit I can order the grey in that size. I have the Manuela in Size 10 UK and it’s perfect but for the Madame I really need to check again. It’s a nice dilemma to have!

I am obsessed with the Teddy coat. I originally thought the the Manuela would be my favorite but I cannot get the teddy out of my head.

Can anyone who owns one help provide me positives and negatives of the teddy coat?

I am obsessed with the Teddy coat. I originally thought the the Manuela would be my favorite but I cannot get the teddy out of my head.

Can anyone who owns one help provide me positives and negatives of the teddy coat?
I have the Manuela, the Teddy and just got the Madame too. They are all very different and I honestly can't say which model I like the most, to me they are all beautiful.
This past week in UK has been between -5C and -1C so I got the Teddy out and it is very cosy and comfortable, definitely the warmest of the three however I do get more wear of Manuela purely because of the weather conditions in UK (it's not that often when the temperature drops below 0). Manuela is still very, very warm coat and goes IMHO with everything. Not that it has to be below 0 to wear the Teddy but Manuela could be worn a lot longer during autumn, through the winter and early spring as opposed to the Teddy, which I would normally wear only during the coldest months. We are in the middle of winter now and it is normal to be drawn towards the Teddy, which is a beautiful coat however if I had to choose only one coat (being practical here:smile: between Manuela and Teddy, I would go for Manuela purely for the versatility of it but saying that, if you live in a cold climate and you love the Teddy, go for it, it is an amazing coat and I can't thing of one negative think I could say about it (wears very well, still looks as good as the first day a got it, warm, comfortable and it looks amazing IMHO)
I hope that helps. Whichever you decide to go for, I am sure you'd love it:heart: