Zip zip or hobo

Hi please help me to choose. Obviously 2 different bags, it makes it harder to compare between them. Pebble grain zip zip satchel or pebble grain hobo. For those of you who have both, can you please mention pros and cons also which bag will you pick at the end and why. Thanks in advance for your sharing.

I own many zip zip satchel handbags and also some other Dooney hobos.
I just checked the measurements of the zip zip and the hobo and they seem
pretty close, so the capacity is probably about the same. But I suspect since
the hobo is less structured, it will probably carry a little more.

Things to consider:
If you plan to shoulder carry, I'd go for the hobo.
The style and design of the hobo would probably be more comfortable
on the shoulder.
While the zip zip has a shoulder strap, it's a structured satchel and I think
works best hand carried. Also the zip zip shoulder strap attaches to the
handles (front and back) so the bag doesn't balance perfectly.
On the plus side, the zip zip shoulder strap is adjustable and the hobo strap
doesn't appear to be, but it's pretty long so it should be long enough.

Also the zip zip shoulder strap is detachable, so if you are hand carrying it
you can remove the strap. Or substitute a longer strap to wear the zip zip
cross body if you have a longer strap (from other Dooneys) or buy one which
can clip onto the handles.
When you attach shoulder strap to the zip zip the handles usually
don't stay folded down, so that can be annoying.

The zip zip offers more flexiblity and is a more classic style.
The hobo is more casual and relaxed. The hobo is a younger,
hipper style, in my opinion.

For hand carry, you can't beat the zip zip.
And the dual and extended zippers make it easy to get in and out
of without digging for your things. In a hobo you have less visibility
and access, even tho Dooney has lots of interior organization.
You can carry the hobo in your hand, but I think hobos look best
on the shoulder. And the hobo has a flat strap vs. the rolled handles
on the zip zip.... for hand carry I prefer rolled handles, but not everyone
agrees.

Choose the style that fits both your functional needs and the one which
appeals to your style.

Thank you @lavenderjunkie for your input. I love zip zip style, I think so elegant. The only problem is hand carry cause I have 2 year old kid. But saying that, I have so many shoulder bags or even cross body..only few hand carry. I think maybe I will go for zip zip. Just hard to pick the colour now too many colours to choose from.

Thank you @lavenderjunkie for your input. I love zip zip style, I think so elegant. The only problem is hand carry cause I have 2 year old kid. But saying that, I have so many shoulder bags or even cross body..only few hand carry. I think maybe I will go for zip zip. Just hard to pick the colour now too many colours to choose from.
I hope you love your zip zip. I know that it's one of my favs and I have collected a rainbow of ZZ colors over the years. Seeing many of the very high end fashion brands featuring domed satchels that look very much like the Dooney zip zip only makes me appreciate the style even more.
Choosing a color for your zip zip is a challenge.... do you want a neutral that will
work for your wardrobe for many years... black, black/black, navy (midnight blue),
or caramel or does a pop of color make you smile? There are no wrong choices.
And don't rule out dark green or bordeaux/wine, if they are available. They are also beautiful
neutrals as well as fashion colors!
The steel blue is at a great price now on I Love Dooney....
with code MERRY. Steel blue looks more grey in person than it does
on the web site. It's also a great color choice if your wardrobe favors colors
like blues, black, dark greens, purples/pinks, or even reds, yellows, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: swags
Can I add my two cents here? between the two bags....no pun intended lol.
The hobo is very carefree casual bag so would go with jeans, gym clothes like yoga pant outfits, etc. The zip zip seems more structured, looks good if you like to be business casual nice top, nice shoes. My zip zip doesnt go with my gym clothes so I dont even use it as much. I own both hobo and zip zip. Im pretty petite so the zip zip strap I can crossbody, but where the strap hooks, it annoys me.

I'm also a mom to a young one, I will tell you that crossbody bags is all I use when running around the park, and being hands free. I also need an outside pocket to put my phone, or a snack. That crossbody in my opinion gets used more. Ill go back to my zip zip or hobo when my kid is older.

Thanks @Rstar for your opinion. You are so right about crossbody being the perfect bag when you have toodler. I have a lot of crossbody bag I really like handbags but I just hate how the price increase all the time. So I was looking for cheaper bags to fulfill my addiction and I just found out about D&B last month. I got hooked for sure! Especially with all the discount now, I just received the bucket and hobo few days ago. I love them..the quality really good for the price. So I'm stalking at their website again to order some more I will check for crossbody too!

Thanks @Rstar for your opinion. You are so right about crossbody being the perfect bag when you have toodler. I have a lot of crossbody bag I really like handbags but I just hate how the price increase all the time. So I was looking for cheaper bags to fulfill my addiction and I just found out about D&B last month. I got hooked for sure! Especially with all the discount now, I just received the bucket and hobo few days ago. I love them..the quality really good for the price. So I'm stalking at their website again to order some more I will check for crossbody too!
Don't forget to check out ILOVEDOONEY.com. (ILD)
It's the online Dooney outlet. Better prices than the main Dooney site.
They may not have the newest of styles, but ILD has quite a large range of offering
and great sales. I expect that after the holidays there will be even more sales.
send you info on the sales. You can compare prices on the bags you like and
stalk until you see the price that makes you want to buy.

In my experience, and I've bought over 100 bags from ILD, over the years, the quality is
the same on both sites and the same as dept store quality. I got received
6 bags from ILD.... there were no defects. Doesn't mean the next bag won't
have an issue, but most of the time the quality is tops.
Only thing to note is the customer service on ILD leaves a lot to be desired, and
they will not do a price adjustment if they lower the price on something you
just bought. But the return policy is good as long as the bag is unused and
returned within 30 days.

They may not have the newest of styles, but ILD has quite a large range of offering
and great sales. I expect that after the holidays there will be even more sales.

In my experience, and I've bought over 100 bags from ILD, over the years, the quality is
Only thing to note is the customer service on ILD leaves a lot to be desired, and
returned within 30 days.
Unfortunately I don't live in USA. So only Dooney.com for me. I have to pay for shipping, no free shipping for international and the more you buy the shipping adds up too. But still ok if I can get the bag on sale, shipping for 1 bag around 20 USD. The hardest part maybe if I want to refund.

Unfortunately I don't live in USA. So only Dooney.com for me. I have to pay for shipping, no free shipping for international and the more you buy the shipping adds up too. But still ok if I can get the bag on sale, shipping for 1 bag around 20 USD. The hardest part maybe if I want to refund.
OH. I didn't realize that. Well it's good that you can shop with Dooney.com and this time of year there are sales both before and after Christmas. Hope you find lots of treasures at great prices.

returned within 30 days.
Oh my goodness Lavendarjunkie, how many bags do you own? I have about 35 bags and 25 small leather accessories, but would love to downsize to 12 bags and 5 accessories, my goal is to carry 1 bag a month and repeat the small accessories.

Rstar: too many. I had stopped buying earlier this year.... and then the sales
started, and I bought a few more. Now I need to give some away.... I do that from time to time. Only problem is that all those that are left I still want!
I'd like to have a smaller collection, but then I'm tempted to fill in with more
new handbags.

If I focus, I change handbags every few days and use about 100 bags
a year, with only limited repeats.

We all have our 'indulgences'....at the moment, mine seems to be handbags.
But I haven't gotten into 'luxury' handbags. I may spend more money on handbags than I need, but my handbags cost a lot less than my first car
or a vacation. Dooney and Brahmin make up most of my collection.