Regrets

mmarks

Feb 7, 2017
I had the opportunity to purchase a classic flap with ghw from Paris about 4-5 years ago and I didn’t because I had already spent a fair bit of money on other things. Fast forward to now and the price has doubled and I just cannot justify buying one at the current prices plus the guilt of not having bought it when I had the chance (from Paris!!!) I feel like if I purchased one now I would feel more guilt than happiness

Has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you get over the regret/guilt?

I had the opportunity to purchase a classic flap with ghw from Paris about 4-5 years ago and I didn’t because I had already spent a fair bit of money on other things. Fast forward to now and the price has doubled and I just cannot justify buying one at the current prices plus the guilt of not having bought it when I had the chance (from Paris!!!) I feel like if I purchased one now I would feel more guilt than happiness

Has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you get over the regret/guilt?
I felt the same with a Chanel flap in python that I passed on and shortly after they discontinued exotics. My regret didn't last too long because I soon discovered many other brands and other bags that offered even more exciting exotics. Sometimes we simply miss out but the good thing is that there's nearly always something new and exciting waiting for us down the road. :smile:

I was very fortunate to buy my pre-loved small CF during the pandemic when the value of money was lower and got one in very good condition for $3400 USD. My regret was actually not going for the medium CF instead. The small CF is quite small.

I don't really think much about it tbh, only when I read on the TPF and see posts and questions on CF haha.

Also, I rarely ever bring out my CF. I felt that it was more of an item that I ticked off a checklist. Sort of like, something I just wanted to own/have. It was something pre-pandemic that I wanted very much, but for some reason when I got it, I didn't get that "wow" factor. Don't get me wrong, I still like it. But do I love it? Hmm, not sure.
But I also would not part with it now that I have it haha. :P

There was also a lovely cashmere Dior knit dress 10 years ago that I passed on and also a pair of Burberry shoes last year that I literally missed by 24 hours because I wanted to think about it more.
The Dior dress, I'm okay with, I didn't have that kind of money at the time. But gosh it was only $2000 USD! Such a steal compared to current prices haha.
The Burberry shoes hurt a little more, but that may be because my husband teases me about it now and again. :lol:

The only Chanel regret I had was I saw a pair of earrings in 2016 that I really loved and stood in the boutique debating the purchase. Ultimately, I didn't want to spend the money on that item at that point in time. For whatever reason, I found myself thinking about them a lot over the years! This summer I saw them on Fashionphile and I snatched them up immediately. They cose 50% more than if I bought them originally, but that's what happens I guess!

The Chanel bag I really regret is a mini CF in brown leather from 2021 FW collection. Chanel doesn't produce a lot of brown leathers, even less speaking of the CF. I still think about it 2 years later... The regret feeling hurts even more when I remember that the bag was sold for 3800€ : it costs 4800€ nowadays

(I found a picture on the internet)
:doh:

org.jpg

I was very fortunate to buy my pre-loved small CF during the pandemic when the value of money was lower and got one in very good condition for $3400 USD. My regret was actually not going for the medium CF instead. The small CF is quite small.

I don't really think much about it tbh, only when I read on the TPF and see posts and questions on CF haha.

Also, I rarely ever bring out my CF. I felt that it was more of an item that I ticked off a checklist. Sort of like, something I just wanted to own/have. It was something pre-pandemic that I wanted very much, but for some reason when I got it, I didn't get that "wow" factor. Don't get me wrong, I still like it. But do I love it? Hmm, not sure.
But I also would not part with it now that I have it haha. :P

There was also a lovely cashmere Dior knit dress 10 years ago that I passed on and also a pair of Burberry shoes last year that I literally missed by 24 hours because I wanted to think about it more.
The Dior dress, I'm okay with, I didn't have that kind of money at the time. But gosh it was only $2000 USD! Such a steal compared to current prices haha.
The Burberry shoes hurt a little more, but that may be because my husband teases me about it now and again. :lol:
Wow that is a good deal! Why do you rarely take it out? I felt the same, like it’s an item I “need” to have and whenever I went in the store to purchase it I was never wowed by it (which is why I waited so long) but I think I still want one! Haha

Wow that is a good deal! Why do you rarely take it out? I felt the same, like it’s an item I “need” to have and whenever I went in the store to purchase it I was never wowed by it (which is why I waited so long) but I think I still want one! Haha

In the past couple of years, classic flaps have attracted too much attention in public. In the Southern California area, they have been stolen in public from persons and stores. I'm not fond of attracting more attention to myself at the moment.
I have also been followed from shopping alone pre and post-pandemic (actually I was just followed last week) and my environment is something I am always aware of. And I live in a well-off area too, but that does not mean that my safety is guaranteed.
(I will bring it out more when I'm with my husband.)

Another reason is that I tend to choose bags based on the outfit I'm wearing. And more often than not, some of my other bags just work better with the look I am going for. :P

I regretted not getting the classic flap in medium/large eons ago, when I got a jumbo instead. Back then, the jumbo fit everything I carried but as I grew older, I started carrying less (no longer carry a full sized wallet, stopped wearing make-up, shorter commutes on public transport etc). And now I find it hard to justify purchasing the medium/large flap at current prices, especially when I already have two reissues in 225 and 226 respectively. I was recently in London and tried on the medium/large classic flap at a boutique and was taken aback by the caviar leather. It was really dull, matte and stiff - completely unlike the caviar on the Chanels I have owned for years. Not sure if it’s just this season but it shut down the temptation to get it there and then :lol:

I didn’t feel guilty, but really regretted getting a seasonal Chanel in Paris years ago rather than a classic. I got over it by just buying the classic I’d always wanted even though the price was so much higher

Reactions: peke<3cc