Do you find that your jewelry style goes through different “phases”?What phase are you in right now?

I think like a lot of people, when I was a teenager and college student, I wore a lot of silver - that was fashionable at the time and also less expensive. Then I slowly added a few "statement" pieces like the huge chunky Hermès CDC. I never liked yellow gold (still don't) but when rose gold got popular, I started adding RG and diamond pieces. When midi rings were super trendy, I wore a lot of rings - now I just wear 1-2 and my wedding set. I stick with RG, WG, diamonds, and emeralds so everything works pretty well together.

I don't think I'll ever be into "major" jewelry. I did finally "upgrade" my wedding set and it's reasonably major I guess, but I can't be bothered with big jewels. I am also cursed with ears that cannot hold anything but studs, so, no big earrings for me. I'm too lazy (and too busy) to maintain a massive jewelry wardrobe, and like the simplicity of wearing the same bracelet stack and rings most days.

When I'm, say, Iris Apfel age, though, I fully intend to go nuts!

I'm in my minimalist phase... I used to like really big or ornate jewelry, like pave halo engagement rings for example, but it doesn't seem me at all anymore. I traded in my e-ring recently for a more simple solitaire setting.

Reactions: antschulina
Very interesting question!
To me, life is a process and as human beings, we all change. This means that our taste develops and changes. Our lifestyle might require specific types of jewelry at some point in life.
Here is my jewelry journey.
I used to be very minimalist. I used to love key pieces, such as one watch, one pair of diamond studs, one diamond necklace, one bracelet, one ring. I had very few pieces, and all of them were expensive and came from premium designers. Mostly hermès bracelets and tiffany & co diamonds.

With time, I finished Uni, increased work experience, travelled and my personality and lifestyle changed. I started to realize that my minimalist approach got boring. I would wear the same jewelry to go to so many different events and activities. For example, I would wear the same watch/necklace/bracelet/earrings for a coffee date, brunch and also to a fancy dinner. I wanted this collection to diversify and to offer more options for every day use, for leisure activities, and for more special occasions. Also, I really wanted to avoid showing off my H bracelet, or very shiny diamond necklace in front of friends or coworkers. This meant to add discrete pieces.

And that's how I started to add new pieces. They were way less luxurious. I added lots of costume jewelry, and also high quality midrange designers, such as Pandora, Agatha and Thomas Sabo. I also added a couple watches from midrange designers, because wearing the same watch became boring.
As of today, I do not classify my jewelry/watches as "expensive" vs "cheap" or "designer" vs "non-designer". All pieces are equally loved and appreciated. I wear all of them, and rotate them on a regular basis. It is fun to me!

The only disappointing part in using costume jewelry is that it can break pretty easily, or it gets stained from perfume or sunscreen. Other than that, it adds more fun and variety to my outfits and looks.

Reactions: Louish and claireby
Yes, I go through stages where I don’t wear any jewelry at all besides my wedding ring. I didn’t wear earrings for almost 15 years after I lost mine right after my wedding. Just didn’t care enough to buy new. Then a few years ago I was all about jewelry again. Now I have WG and YG sets, and wear jewelry everyday. Give it a year or so and I’ll probably go back into my minimal jewelry mode again.

I've been a dedicated collector in a certain area of the jewelry world for a very long time. Recently have added better and scarcer things, especially in the last few years. Both pandemic and my own ticking clock were saying, If not now, when? I'm at a good place, fairly maximalist but all about quality, and think of it as attending to an art form. Because it is. Also, I have Iris Apfel in my mind, teaching me that one can be involved in aesthetics throughout the life course.

"Where I'm at" is at the tier I want to be, saying no to most pieces, and yes only with a good amount of discretion.

Last edited:
I'm an older lady now and I don't like no more too much diamonds. I have sold my CHOPARD happy diamonds watch and ring because of the swimming diamonds, that was too much bling bling for me. My only jewellery now with diamonds is my tennis bracelet and my alliance ring.
I like also HERMES silver jewellery like bracelets and necklaces. Now for me it's time to wear more understated jewellery.

Reactions: mrs moulds
This was such a fascinating thread to read! I don't know what I was expecting but it's cool to see how many others share similar experiences!

Growing up, I always viewed jewelry as something very special - because that's how it was treated at home. When I was younger, my mom only had a few valuable & well-loved pieces. Same with my dad and his watches. For my 8th grade graduation, I remember my parents gave me the classic Elsa Peretti 'Open Heart' in sterling silver. It's still one of my prized possessions to this day, even if I don't wear it anymore.

In my teen years and early college, I started being more expressive with jewelry. I bought dainty sterling silver pieces and wore rings on almost every finger! I bought big gemstone "boho-style" rings, with turquoise, onyx, moonstone, etc. I loved my silver pieces so much - like others here, I HATED yellow gold! :lol:

In college and my early 20s, I started aspiring for a more "classy" look. I began adding yellow gold to my collection - slowly but surely because it was all solid gold (allergies). Thennn I started wanting the classic pieces from name brands like Cartier, but I could never afford it. :rolleyes:

Now in my late 20s, I still wear dainty gold rings on almost every finger. I don't care about mixing yellow and silver. I actually like watches now! And I care more about sentimental value, even if the value is just how hard I worked towards something I really wanted. :flowers:

I'm so curious to see where I'll end up in the future!! I haven't entered my diamond era so maybe that's on its way :lol:

Reactions: Pevi
Yes, I go through stages where I don’t wear any jewelry at all besides my wedding ring. I didn’t wear earrings for almost 15 years after I lost mine right after my wedding. Just didn’t care enough to buy new. Then a few years ago I was all about jewelry again. Now I have WG and YG sets, and wear jewelry everyday. Give it a year or so and I’ll probably go back into my minimal jewelry mode again.

I feel that my taste in jewelry has changed as I’ve gotten older. My teens and up to my early thirties were more about inexpensive costume jewelry, Pandora, and a few Tiffany silver purchases (the gateway into luxury!).

But I also think the pandemic has changed my attitude on buying “cheap” things that aren’t really necessary. IMO, costume jewelry seems like a waste (financially and environmentally)—so no more of that for me.

As I’m heading toward middle age, I find that I’m more interested in classic “forever” pieces—mostly minimalist items that can be worn daily and for any occasion. I still like Tiffany but would not want to do silver anymore (mostly due to the maintenance). Cartier has become a favorite too.

I don’t know what is going on with me but lately I’ve been buying initials and letters… I think this multiple buying happens when you don’t find the *perfect* piece, but the thing is I like them all for different reasons. I won’t look for letters any more, but maybe the prefect one will find me!
So I will say right now my jewelry phase is letters and initials!

My MIL says initials are tacky, but I like them, I think they’re classic. And of course I don’t wear them all at the same time.

7979177C-3B5A-4D39-8F0B-47C3F54E3AC5.jpeg

2816E77F-811E-42E2-A880-E21F08944675.jpeg

B2376E2F-D07B-4337-B0BA-B8F99BFB2766.jpeg

04764AB9-3589-4AC6-8317-109881C29D1E.jpeg

I don’t know what is going on with me but lately I’ve been buying initials and letters… I think this multiple buying happens when you don’t find the *perfect* piece, but the thing is I like them all for different reasons. I won’t look for letters any more, but maybe the prefect one will find me!

My MIL says initials are tacky, but I like them, I think they’re classic. And of course I don’t wear them all at the same time.

View attachment 5660585

View attachment 5660586

View attachment 5660587

View attachment 5660588
Your pieces are lovely! I have a solid gold initial ring and am thinking of having a pave one made, so can totally relate. Initials give a personal feel and I want my jewelry to resonate with me.

Reactions: mrs moulds and Pevi

View attachment 5660585

View attachment 5660586

View attachment 5660587

View attachment 5660588
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!
That middle capital P in white metal and diamonds without the chain, and right under the blue butterfly--please--who made that? I LOVE IT!

Reactions: Pevi