Please help identify leather, color and design

As requested, this thread is now the official Help I.D. Hermes leather, color and design thread. Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: Please do nat ask for authentication on this thread.

Reply to any questions regarding any items are NOT be taken as a sign of authenticity. You will have to find a reputable paid-for service.

PT

Kelly could def be Box, I was just going by a professional auction description.

Swift was introduced around '08, I bought one of the first bags made Swift (according to my SA, 2008) rather than the rested Gulliver. Fits with your bag too. Certainly, mine has a foiled stamp. Perhaps it's recoloured and the finish is unnaturally shiny. My Swift is now 14 years old, darker colour (that usually would shows sheen and shine more obviously) plenty of use and not that shiny.

View attachment 5656760

Very true— Tadelakt and Box are often confused (as well as Tadelakt and Swift), but in this case, the auction house is incorrect. According to my records, Tadelakt was introduced in 2007/2008 (corroborated here and also on Christie’s). And according to the Hermès site, Swift was introduced in 2004.

swift info - H site.png
(source: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/r.m.s-travel-tag-H083423CK71/)

Last edited:
Very true— Tadelakt and Box are often confused (as well as Tadelakt and Swift), but in this case, the auction house is incorrect. According to my records, Tadelakt was introduced in 2007/2008 (corroborated here). And according to the Hermès site, Swift was introduced in 2004.

View attachment 5656827

It's true Swift was 'introduced' mid-00s, but I'm not convinced it's not just Gulliver renamed (rested a few years earlier).

The auction was the agent for BrandCo (Brand Connection) Paris, it's BrandCo's description. Their experts are supposed to have worked with the design houses they authenticate for. I know Tadelakt is supposed to be from then, but we don't know if H had a leather like that before (Brique K from '94). We can only speculate - especially on this thread.

Very true— Tadelakt and Box are often confused (as well as Tadelakt and Swift), but in this case, the auction house is incorrect. According to my records, Tadelakt was introduced in 2007/2008 (corroborated here and also on Christie’s). And according to the Hermès site, Swift was introduced in 2004.

View attachment 5656827
i saw an old kelly that looked like that on a resale site a while ago too! do you think it’s also maybe box & not tadelact leather?

i saw an old kelly that looked like that on a resale site a while ago too! do you think it’s also maybe box & not tadelact leather?

Not necessarily, and without a picture, my guess is as good as anyone’s. Anyone who’s been buying Hermès for any length of time knows that this brand is full of surprises. It’s very possible that Tadelakt was re-issued. It’s possible that it’s Box Calfskin. Or maybe it’s neither. I can only guess. If you remember where you saw it or are able to find a picture, that would be helpful.

• Thanks
Reactions: embroideryqueen007
Hello TPFers,

Would appreciate any help with identifying? This is identified as Togo but the grain seems especially large. This is a K32 Retourne.

Many thanks in advance!

View attachment 5658797

View attachment 5658798
Looks like Fjord or maybe a buffalo leather to me. I’d need to see the interior to be sure. Togo did look a touch similar to this in it’s early years with a neater, more elevated grain.