Gold bracelet hunt: high-quality, non-luxury options

lat34

Apr 17, 2022
I've been looking at gold bracelets for the past 6 months to celebrate a life milestone (full disclosure, started with bags, couldn't find what I wanted, now am onto gold bracelets).

I've tried on the VCA perlée signature, which I loved, but it has a hefty price tag ($7,000 ish). The Cartier Love is also absolutely lovely and good investment, but it seems a bit too heavily "branded" to me (maybe because it's so common?) & is also super pricey (even secondhand on Fashionphile, which I look at regularly). I like both of these because they sit securely around the wrist and have small details that make them a bit more interesting.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for similar gold bracelets: I've looked at a number of brands recommended to me by friends and jewelers: Lana, David Yurman, another Lana, Roberto Coin (perhaps looks like an imitation Cartier), and Lagos (silver/gold, not straight gold, as too pricey).

Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Where does one find a high-quality gold bracelet with a bit of character and a slightly more reasonable price?

Thanks!

Could a Fope design fit the bill? They are Italian designed, stretchy gold mesh bracelets that can fit over your hands (no clasps) and there are dozens of beautiful combinations in different metal colours (all solid 18k gold right down to and including the little springs in the bracelet), some plain and some with diamond rondels of different carat weights. There is a Fope discussion thread on here.

Prices can vary and none are ‘cheap’ but you can get a substantial design from a Fope line like Solo or Eka with diamonds from around £3k, so much cheaper than Cartier.

I've been looking at gold bracelets for the past 6 months to celebrate a life milestone (full disclosure, started with bags, couldn't find what I wanted, now am onto gold bracelets).

I've tried on the VCA perlée signature, which I loved, but it has a hefty price tag ($7,000 ish). The Cartier Love is also absolutely lovely and good investment, but it seems a bit too heavily "branded" to me (maybe because it's so common?) & is also super pricey (even secondhand on Fashionphile, which I look at regularly). I like both of these because they sit securely around the wrist and have small details that make them a bit more interesting.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for similar gold bracelets: I've looked at a number of brands recommended to me by friends and jewelers: Lana, David Yurman, another Lana, Roberto Coin (perhaps looks like an imitation Cartier), and Lagos (silver/gold, not straight gold, as too pricey).

Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Where does one find a high-quality gold bracelet with a bit of character and a slightly more reasonable price?

Thanks!
costco has some nice gold jewelry

Gold it always a luxury, but you could ask your local jeweller to work with you and design one yourself or buy vintage

Agree with @papertiger going to your local jeweler will allow you customization that makes it special to you. There will be not be another bracelet quite like yours when you make it yourself.

Vintage is always fun, just make sure to do your research and ask the seller questions that meet your specifications.

Thanks!
a real gold bracelet with decent thickness is going to be luxury with or without the brand name price tag. the markup on Cartier, Tiffany, etc. is going to be obscene compared to what it costs to actually make but, hey so are the luxury handbags we've grown to love. you may have to come to terms with what you're actually willing to spend vs. name brand. so many people criticize the Cartier love bracelet as a con because it scratches so easily. well, helllooo, its a high polish item constantly getting banged against things. so yeah that's going to happen. Agree with the CostCo suggestion, and I'd recommend stalking vintage or auctions. May not be as an exciting story but probably a better value for money. Good luck!

I would def go with all the recommendations above. Either work with a trusted jeweler or buy preowned/vintage. What is your budget? Gold is at 1.7k an oz. so for anything that made with 18k going to cost alot, plus labor and branding. Costco is def a good start but if you want something higher quality, it is going to cost a bit of money.

I also have been branching out of bags and I've been interested in gold jewelry these days. I recently bought some pieces from this brand called Catbird, which is based in NYC. They make their jewelry in NYC and specialize in delicate pieces, and the prices are fairly reasonable. They also work with smaller designers. I recently bought a pair of opal earrings, a 14k gold necklace and charm - the items are great quality and I have not stopped wearing them since I bought them over a month ago. Another option that I also was looking at is Kinn Studio, based in LA. They are women-owned, and specialize in real gold pieces. I haven't bought anything yet, but I am considering a bracelet.

Could a Fope design fit the bill? They are Italian designed, stretchy gold mesh bracelets that can fit over your hands (no clasps) and there are dozens of beautiful combinations in different metal colours (all solid 18k gold right down to and including the little springs in the bracelet), some plain and some with diamond rondels of different carat weights. There is a Fope discussion thread on here.

Prices can vary and none are ‘cheap’ but you can get a substantial design from a Fope line like Solo or Eka with diamonds from around £3k, so much cheaper than Cartier.
This is awesome! And sorry for the delay in my reply!! I am taking a look right now.

I don’t own a piece, but Nouvel Heritage offers sized bracelets similar to the ones mentioned. Dinh Van and Messika do as well, I believe.

Please let us know what you select!
Definitely will do! I somehow didn't get notifications for these messages so I didn't realize anyone had replied. Thanks so much for taking the time to recommend these... I especially like Messika! I'll let you know what i select.

APM Monaco have great designs, and are affordable. Definitely worth to check them out!
Had never heard of them! Thanks so much for the rec!!

I would def go with all the recommendations above. Either work with a trusted jeweler or buy preowned/vintage. What is your budget? Gold is at 1.7k an oz. so for anything that made with 18k going to cost alot, plus labor and branding. Costco is def a good start but if you want something higher quality, it is going to cost a bit of money.
Great point. I am totally willing to pay $1-4k but would prefer to get good "value" - but of course a brand also provides really good value. So perhaps I should more seriously consider the Cartier - I do love the look of it, along with the VCA signature perlée, and they do, as posters in this forum regularly point out, retain a lot of their value. I wonder if this value will last for the long term!