Bottega Veneta Cabat Owners (and Future Owners) United

I need another bag this year like I need a hole in my head, but I find myself eyeing this particular Cabat on TRR.

I know, I know...I'm supposed to be on ban island. However, I make exceptions for hard to find (excellent/pristine) TM era pieces on my wish list, and seriously good bargains for other items on my wish list. I've always admired this Cabat, and while not technically on my wish list, I've contemplated it often. That light French gray with the gold accent just gets me! Is the color Gainesboro?

Anyway, to get to the point - is it just me, or does the condition appear to be way better than described? It's noted as "Good" condition, with moderate discoloration at the handles (glazing apparently) and moderate tarnishing on the plaque. The tarnish can be treated with a silver polishing cloth. However, does anyone know what would cause the discoloration at the glazing, and do you know if it can be removed or repaired? Aside from those issues, this Cabat looks to be in excellent condtion to me. What do y'all think?

Photos from the listing:
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.51.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.48.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.49.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.49.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.51.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.50.13 PM.png

I need another bag this year like I need a hole in my head, but I find myself eyeing this particular Cabat on TRR.

I know, I know...I'm supposed to be on ban island. However, I make exceptions for hard to find (excellent/pristine) TM era pieces on my wish list, and seriously good bargains for other items on my wish list. I've always admired this Cabat, and while not technically on my wish list, I've contemplated it often. That light French gray with the gold accent just gets me! Is the color Gainesboro?

Anyway, to get to the point - is it just me, or does the condition appear to be way better than described? It's noted as "Good" condition, with moderate discoloration at the handles (glazing apparently) and moderate tarnishing on the plaque. The tarnish can be treated with a silver polishing cloth. However, does anyone know what would cause the discoloration at the glazing, and do you know if it can be removed or repaired? Aside from those issues, this Cabat looks to be in excellent condtion to me. What do y'all think?

Photos from the listing:
View attachment 5615780
View attachment 5615778View attachment 5615779
View attachment 5615781
View attachment 5615782View attachment 5615783
"...while not technically on my wishlist..." :lol:

But seriously, congrats on a gorgeous bag! That tonal gold trim on the intrecciato is divine.

I imagine that maybe just the glazing on the handles has worn off and/or been altered by the oils and chemicals on one's hands? I'd actually just leave it as-is. I think the handles have a kind of cool ombre effect.

"...while not technically on my wishlist..." :lol:

But seriously, congrats on a gorgeous bag! That tonal gold trim on the intrecciato is divine.

I imagine that maybe just the glazing on the handles has worn off and/or been altered by the oils and chemicals on one's hands? I'd actually just leave it as-is. I think the handles have a kind of cool ombre effect.
LOL - I just realized my post above does sound like I purchased the bag, but I have not - YET. It's TRR, so I cannot return the bag, and I have concerns about it being listed only in "Good" condition.

The Ombre effect you see on the handles is part of the design. The orange colored spots on the glazing of the handles (1st picture) is not. So I'm looking to the Cabat experts here for their advice on the condition. Advice and opinions welcome!

I'm only coming off Ban Island if I'm absolutely certain.

And this bag is officially on my wish list now. :lol: I've always thought it was one of the most beautiful Cabats ever made. Now that I own the Ottone Cabat, and use it often, I decided a couple of Knots can come off my wish list. The Cabat is more practical for my lifestyle anyway.

LOL - I just realized my post above does sound like I purchased the bag, but I have not - YET. It's TRR, so I cannot return the bag, and I have concerns about it being listed only in "Good" condition.

The Ombre effect you see on the handles is part of the design. The orange colored spots on the glazing of the handles (1st picture) is not. So I'm looking to the Cabat experts here for their advice on the condition. Advice and opinions welcome!

And this bag is officially on my wish list now. :lol: I've always thought it was one of the most beautiful Cabats ever made. Now that I own the Ottone Cabat, and use it often, I decided a couple of Knots can come off my wish list. The Cabat is more practical for my lifestyle anyway.
Ah, I see! I don’t have a Cabat, so I’m not useful besides being an enabler. :P

Hopefully the collective brain of our Cabat experts can help you make a decision one way or the other!

It’s really pretty but I think your Ottone is the HG of gold Cabats.

It’s really pretty but I think your Ottone is the HG of gold Cabats.
Thank you, and I agree! My Ottone is not going anywhere. It's the light gray I find appealing with this Cabat, and the gold contrast just enhances it. There is another Cabat just like this one listed on TRR at almost double the price, in "Very Good" condition. To me that Cabat shows more wear, but maybe it's just me.

I'm not in a rush to add this style of Cabat to my collection. I'm willing to wait for the right one. However, the price is right if the spots on the glazing can be fixed, and the condition for the rest of the bag is consistent with the photos and not just "Good" condition as described.

Reactions: jbags07
Having learned my lesson and let past bags slip through my fingers due to analysis paralysis, I bit the bullet and purchased my very first cabat: the mini cabat in apple candy. I took a couple pictures, one in indirect afternoon sun and another in evening home lighting, but I do not think either photos do the color justice! Happy to post if anyone wants to see, but in the meantime I am happy to have hit this milestone. :smartass: I look forward to following this thread and sharing in all your cabat pursuits, whether they stay fantasy or become reality!

Having learned my lesson and let past bags slip through my fingers due to analysis paralysis, I bit the bullet and purchased my very first cabat: the mini cabat in apple candy. I took a couple pictures, one in indirect afternoon sun and another in evening home lighting, but I do not think either photos do the color justice! Happy to post if anyone wants to see, but in the meantime I am happy to have hit this milestone. :smartass: I look forward to following this thread and sharing in all your cabat pursuits, whether they stay fantasy or become reality!
Congratulation, I would love to see some pictures of it. BV reds are beautiful.

Of course we want to see! What type of question is that :lol: Apple candy? Is this bag from the new bottega, or old? :smile: