The beauty of MAX MARA coats...(photos please)

Max Mara carries several lines, Max Mara, S, Weekend, Studio, and Sportmax.
Max Mara is their top line. Studio is their lower priced line. The pieces are also not made in Italy.
Country of origin may or may not matter to you, but it does to me. I prefer to buy my coats only from the main Max Mara line. Be sure to also check country of origin if that matters to you.

For sizing (and this is only for the Max Mara line), I find their coats run true to size to a bit on the large side. I think the fit will depend on the style as some coats run very very large, but that is by design. I have a similar coat that style by Max Mara, and I think your true size will be fine.

On your coat above, I think this is from the Weekend line, and not Studio. I think both lines would not be made in Italy if that matters to you (it may not). If country of origin matters, your coat is a classic cut, and the Max Mara makes similar ones.
Wool coat, camel - "DESY" Max Mara

As FYI, I also have a Burberry Kensington! Love that trench coat!

Hope that helps.

Do you have any insight into Sportmax? I’m considering one of their coats and am curious how the quality for this brand stacks up.

Do you have any insight into Sportmax? I’m considering one of their coats and am curious how the quality for this brand stacks up.
Sportmax is their lower price point collection. It's fine, but the top line is the main Max Mara line, all Made in Italy with fine fabrics.
Even S, Weekend... most of their pieces are not Made in Italy if that matters to you. The difference is also in the fabric, the lower priced lines are often blended fabric (e.g. a little cashmere, a little wool, a camel hair, all blended). In the Max Mara line, you will see more 100% pure fabrics such as 100% cashmere, 100% camel hair, etc. I think the lower priced lines are mostly virgin wool or a wool blend.

I think any Max Mara line is fine. It depends on your needs..."depends on your needs".. what an empty statement! :biggrin: :heart:
Ok, let me be more specific to try and help as Max Mara pricing is all over the place to me for their coats. You can get a $4K coat and a $1K coat, and upfront they look the same.

If you want top quality, I would go for the Max Mara line. Their 100% cashmere and 100% camel hair coats are stuff of legend. It's a higher price point, but their coats last forever. You almost want the coat to get beat up so you can buy a new one, but they just keep ticking and looking great. Fabric is super luxurious.

If you want warmth for freezing cold temperatures, their 100% camel hair coats are amazing. The SA convinced me to try camel hair (I am a cashmere die-hard thinking in my mind it's the best). Wow... camel hair is warmer than cashmere, and I like that thick dense texture. With the other lines, the coats are mostly in virgin wool, and the warmth is not quite there.

If you want a fashionable coat for mid-winter weather to bop around, 100% virgin wool is usually good enough. You won't get that luxurious feel or look of cashmere or camel hair, but if the coat looks chic, then you get the chic look! It's also a lower price point too if the coat is more on the trendy side vs. a classic style.

One more thought... I think it's really important to consider the level of warmth you want. I once purchased a coat from Burberry. I loved the style, it was Made in Italy. The design was also a warm & toasty design with a funnel neck. I thought... I am going to be so warm and so cute! But nope... I was cute, but I was freezing! The darn coat was not warm due to the fabric, virgin wool, on the thinner side. Ugh... the few times I wore that coat, I was cold. When I tried to wear it on warmer winter days, the fabric was good, but the design was a "warm & toasty" style it looked a bit ridiculous for a warm winter day. I hope that made sense.
For a true warm cozy winter coat, for me... it's cashmere or camel hair. Virgin wool and wool-blends do not work for me.

Anyway, just some thoughts to share my coat stories. I hope this was helpful. Good luck!
So many choices! I think you will love Max Mara!

Sportmax is their lower price point collection. It's fine, but the top line is the main Max Mara line, all Made in Italy with fine fabrics.
Even S, Weekend... most of their pieces are not Made in Italy if that matters to you. The difference is also in the fabric, the lower priced lines are often blended fabric (e.g. a little cashmere, a little wool, a camel hair, all blended). In the Max Mara line, you will see more 100% pure fabrics such as 100% cashmere, 100% camel hair, etc. I think the lower priced lines are mostly virgin wool or a wool blend.

I think any Max Mara line is fine. It depends on your needs..."depends on your needs".. what an empty statement! :biggrin: :heart:
Ok, let me be more specific to try and help as Max Mara pricing is all over the place to me for their coats. You can get a $4K coat and a $1K coat, and upfront they look the same.

If you want top quality, I would go for the Max Mara line. Their 100% cashmere and 100% camel hair coats are stuff of legend. It's a higher price point, but their coats last forever. You almost want the coat to get beat up so you can buy a new one, but they just keep ticking and looking great. Fabric is super luxurious.

If you want warmth for freezing cold temperatures, their 100% camel hair coats are amazing. The SA convinced me to try camel hair (I am a cashmere die-hard thinking in my mind it's the best). Wow... camel hair is warmer than cashmere, and I like that thick dense texture. With the other lines, the coats are mostly in virgin wool, and the warmth is not quite there.

If you want a fashionable coat for mid-winter weather to bop around, 100% virgin wool is usually good enough. You won't get that luxurious feel or look of cashmere or camel hair, but if the coat looks chic, then you get the chic look! It's also a lower price point too if the coat is more on the trendy side vs. a classic style.

One more thought... I think it's really important to consider the level of warmth you want. I once purchased a coat from Burberry. I loved the style, it was Made in Italy. The design was also a warm & toasty design with a funnel neck. I thought... I am going to be so warm and so cute! But nope... I was cute, but I was freezing! The darn coat was not warm due to the fabric, virgin wool, on the thinner side. Ugh... the few times I wore that coat, I was cold. When I tried to wear it on warmer winter days, the fabric was good, but the design was a "warm & toasty" style it looked a bit ridiculous for a warm winter day. I hope that made sense.
For a true warm cozy winter coat, for me... it's cashmere or camel hair. Virgin wool and wool-blends do not work for me.

Anyway, just some thoughts to share my coat stories. I hope this was helpful. Good luck!
Thank you for this wonderful breakdown!

I have the Manuela coat but I don't find it that warm, maybe because I live in Vancouver where the cold is more of high humidity cold. I was hoping to try the 101801 coat since it's such a classic style, I've heard that one is warmer than the Manuela even though it is 90% wool and 10% cashmere, and not 100% camel like the Manuela.

Reactions: BigAkoya

Thank you so much for this!! I really appreciate it. I’m at a point where I am rebuilding my wardrobe and want every piece I add to be intentional, top quality, and something I really love. I definitely want my next warm coat to be an investment in the best! For this purpose, you’ve really sold me on Max Mara!

That being said, I’m currently living in Miami so a warm coat doesn’t make sense until I move to a climate with four seasons again. I’m going on a trip to Paris in the fall and realize that I don’t have any coats for a chillier climate. I stumbled upon a Sportmax style that’s more lightweight but chic and at an amazing price. I was tempted since I don’t want to buy my dream coat just yet until I can actually get more use out of it, but do need something warmer for the trip. At the same time, I don’t want to buy anything that isn’t still nice quality and something I want to keep in my closet (I cry over all the fast fashion I bought in my early 20s and never want to repeat that). I was wondering if Sportmax is still nice, or actually low quality and not worth buying.

Thank you so much for this!! I really appreciate it. I’m at a point where I am rebuilding my wardrobe and want every piece I add to be intentional, top quality, and something I really love. I definitely want my next warm coat to be an investment in the best! For this purpose, you’ve really sold me on Max Mara!

That being said, I’m currently living in Miami so a warm coat doesn’t make sense until I move to a climate with four seasons again. I’m going on a trip to Paris in the fall and realize that I don’t have any coats for a chillier climate. I stumbled upon a Sportmax style that’s more lightweight but chic and at an amazing price. I was tempted since I don’t want to buy my dream coat just yet until I can actually get more use out of it, but do need something warmer for the trip. At the same time, I don’t want to buy anything that isn’t still nice quality and something I want to keep in my closet (I cry over all the fast fashion I bought in my early 20s and never want to repeat that). I was wondering if Sportmax is still nice, or actually low quality and not worth buying.
Since you live in Miami and you need a coat for Paris in the fall, how about a chic Burberry trench coat! I love mine, and they are awesome for fall and early spring.

The SA told me a really chic way to close it is NOT to use the buttons. Rather, just wrap it around your waist and tie the belt tight, a la Audrey Hepburn.

That’s how I wear mine, and I have gotten compliments on it. Crazy how that slight change makes such a difference.

Just a thought… the trench is classic chic, if tied correctly.

All of the above is such valuable information, so I would like to add some that I know.
Max Mara Studio line is sewn everywhere, including China. It uses less quality fabrics, but the designs are fairly trendy. I have some pieces, including a coat. Never have had any problems with it, but the quality cannot compare to the higher line.
Max Mara Weekend is (to me) the lowest line in terms of quality and place of production (apart from separate brands like Max&Co and Marella). It is sewn in China and Eastern Europe. This line had so much better quality before, the vintage pieces cannot compare.
S Max Mara is also sewn everywhere, including Eastern Europe and even Armenia.
Sportmax is their sport-chic higher quality line. I would say some of the items are on the same tier in terms of quality like the Max Mara Studio, some can be higher.
The items from the Max Mara line are undoubtedly the best in terms of cut, attention to detail and fabrics. I have several pieces, including some runway items and I wear them with great joy. They are still in great condition after many wears (including the shoes!).
Sadly, I have noticed a steady quality decline in all Max Mara lines in the last years.

Last edited:
All of the above is such valuable information, so I would like to add some that I know.
Max Mara Studio line is sewn everywhere, including China. It uses less quality fabrics, but the designs are fairly trendy. I have some pieces, including a coat. Never have had any problems with it, but the quality cannot compare to the higher line.
Max Mara Weekend is (to me) the lowest line in terms of quality and place of production (apart from separate brands like Max&Co and Marella). It is sewn in China and Eastern Europe. This line had so much better quality before, the vintage pieces cannot compare.
S Max Mara is also sewn everywhere, including Eastern Europe and even Armenia.
Sportmax is their sport-chic higher quality line. I would say some of the items are on the same tier in terms of quality like the Max Mara Studio, some can be higher.
The items from the Max Mara line are undoubtedly the best in terms of cut, attention to detail and fabrics. I have several pieces, including some runway items and I wear them with great joy. They are still in great condition after many wears (including the shoes!).
Sadly, I have noticed a steady quality decline in all Max Mara lines in the last years.
I agree with you on the quality for clothing, even in the Max Mara line. The main Max Mara line used to all be made in Italy. Over the years, items such as sweaters and blouses are made elsewhere which is a big disappointment for me. The suits and coats are still made in Italy which is good.

Speaking of coats...
I was browsing and saw the Rialto coat in red. It looks quite nice, like little red riding hood vibe.
I searched and didn't see the red color at dept stores online, so I just ordered the red on the Max Mara website.
Here it is in case anyone is interested: https://us.maxmara.com/p-1016082906...Ejg68l1W6j0yC3lEqSxoC0BkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If anyone is interested in the Rialto in black or camel, NM has a promotion going on, and you can get a $600 gift card! That's a great deal. Bummer, they do not carry the red color as I want red! :nuts: :heart:
Here is the link, and you can see the gift card promotion; it ends 9/23:

Last edited:
someone asked about my short teddy. this season they came out with the nebula. love the cinched waist and the length is great for petites.
nm_4367802_100263_b

Update on my Red Rialto. The color is not red red as shown on the website. The color is more a rust red, so I returned it.
I also was not crazy how the hood felt on me... it's heavy and I could feel the hood constantly. I know that would bug me.

I wanted a red coat this year, so I ended buying a Red Manuela. The red is gorgeous, a nice deep red.
I was surprised the two reds are not the same, perhaps it varies by garment or season... who knows.

I am loving the Manuela red. Just FYI on the shade difference if anyone is thinking of a red coat this year.

Last edited:
Manuela is my favorite MM coat! Great choice!

One question:. Do you find the belt to be very short when tied (single knot/one pass thru)? That's my only quasi-complaint with this lovely frock! PS Wear it in good health!

Manuela is my favorite MM coat! Great choice!

One question:. Do you find the belt to be very short when tied (single knot/one pass thru)? That's my only quasi-complaint with this lovely frock! PS Wear it in good health!
Yes, it is! Of all my Max Mara coats that have belt ties, the Manuela is the shortest. :annoyed::heart:
I think it's because they think we plan to tie it the "Max Mara" way, which I do not tie it that way (I kind of think it looks goofy).
I like my belt ends to hang, like little tails. The Max Mara way requires a shorter belt.

Yes, it is! Of all my Max Mara coats that have belt ties, the Manuela is the shortest. :annoyed::heart:
I think it's because they think we plan to tie it the "Max Mara" way, which I do not tie it that way (I kind of think it looks goofy).
I like my belt ends to hang, like little tails. The Max Mara way requires a shorter belt.
I don't know what that way is, but when I knot it once, like you would on a bathrobe, it's already too short. Lol, glad it's not just me!

I've looked at this coat in red and it is absolutely stunning. What a great choice you made!

Reactions: BigAkoya
I don't know what that way is, but when I knot it once, like you would on a bathrobe, it's already too short. Lol, glad it's not just me!

I've looked at this coat in red and it is absolutely stunning. What a great choice you made!
The SA showed me this when I purchased my first Max Mara coat. I think it looks goofy.

Here is also a video with a person demoing how to tie it... go to the 3 minute, 40 second mark.

Update on my Red Rialto. The color is not red red as shown on the website. The color is more a rust red, so I returned it.
I also was not crazy how the hood felt on me... it's heavy and I could feel the hood constantly. I know that would bug me.

I wanted a red coat this year, so I ended buying a Red Manuela. The red is gorgeous, a nice deep red.
I was surprised the two reds are not the same, perhaps it varies by garment or season... who knows.

I am loving the Manuela red. Just FYI on the shade difference if anyone is thinking of a red coat this year.
I was eyeing the red Manuela, but when I saw it IRL at the store, I thought it was more of a rust red than a deep red. Maybe it does vary, because the red reflected on the MM and Saks websites is gorgeous, but the red reflected on the Harrods website felt more like the colour that I saw. i was disappointed. i wonder if it varies from stockist to stockist depending on what year’s red they’re showing? Or if it’s just the lighting in the photos. For instance, midnight blue shows up more cobalt than in the pictures.

I was hoping to buy the red because the colour looked great in pictures, but ended up with black.

Last edited:
I was eyeing the red Manuela, but when I saw it IRL at the store, I thought it was more of a rust red than a deep red. Maybe it does vary, because the red reflected on the MM and Saks websites is gorgeous, but the red reflected on the Harrods website felt more like the colour that I saw. i was disappointed. i wonder if it varies from stockist to stockist depending on what year’s red they’re showing? Or if it’s just the lighting in the photos. For instance, midnight blue shows up more cobalt than in the pictures.

I was hoping to buy the red because the colour looked great in pictures, but ended up with black.
Hi! I actually spoke to customer service about the red shade, and she told me it varies slightly by season.

Here is my story of the "reds"....
I ordered the red Rialto via MaxMara.com as that was the only online site that carried this color (I checked Saks, BG, NM, Bloomies). I ordered both a size 4 and 6 as I wanted it loose because I plan to wear it over thick cashmere sweaters. It actually took over two weeks to ship, but the size 4 arrived. The size 6 had not shipped yet. The size 4 was a bit big, so I knew the 6 would be huge. I was also then not thrilled about the red shade nor the hood.

I called MaxMara to cancel shipping the size 6. I was curious asked why it takes so long to ship (more stores ship within days). The rep said for US orders, the garment is actually shipped from Italy to their warehouse in the US. Once they receive it, they ship it to me. I then mentioned I plan to return the size 4 also as the red is not a true red but more a rust red.

The rep said the red varies slightly by season and even by lot. Hmm....

Fast forward a few days...
I still want a red coat this season, and I decided on Manuela. I remembered the rep saying the red varies, so I decided not to buy it MaxMara.com for fear it might be the same rust red.

I ordered a red Manuela in size 2 and size 4 from NM. Both red shades are identical, and both are a deep red. The red is not like the Christmas red shown on the website. Rather, it is a nice deep winter red with a drop of blue which I actually like more (I was a tiny bit worried about the red being too "Christmas" festive if that makes sense).

Hope this helps with the "red" theory!
I am sure you love the black! It's such a classic.
My next color is ivory. I want an ivory coat. I had one a long time ago and loved it.
I hope they offer that shade next year.

Reactions: icedcoffee