Chanel’s Rise & STALL: Defects, Difficulties & Deflection (formerly the 19 tote saga thread)

@papertiger I am intrigued, do you have a picture anywhere of this vintage bag?

I’ve had a good experience too—multiple pairs of ballerinas and slingbacks and a pair of Mary Janes. I mentioned upthread I gave up on Chanel bc of two faulty pairs of platforms a few seasons ago, but if it hadn’t been for all the swirling complaints about quality in their other items, I might have thought it was just that particular SKU. Some YouTubers have postulated the decline in bag quality is bc they can’t keep up with demand, so maybe there just isn’t that same demand for shoes?

Thanks everyone here for their contributions, I haven’t been this invested in a tpf thread in years. :amuse:
I keep buying the shoes as I have never had any issues! Good point about demand for shoes!

Yes! I love the touch up brush #104. Eye brush 204 is great! The shape is perfect for smoking eyes out. The foundations are also lovely . I love Sublimage! My fav Chanel beaute item is the Stylo Yeux eyeliners, they last and colors are beautiful. A must have!
They didn't renew Luci Pica's contract thank god. So maybe we will see something else than red shadow, blush and lips. :smile:
How do these brushes compare to more reasonably priced makeup brands? If they aren't willing to divulge the materials, how do we know they are better in quality than Sigma, MAC brushes or even Sephora brand (to be extreme here)? Is there a noticeable difference in how they apply makeup?

How do these brushes compare to more reasonably priced makeup brands? If they aren't willing to divulge the materials, how do we know they are better in quality than Sigma, MAC brushes or even Sephora brand (to be extreme here)? Is there a noticeable difference in how they apply makeup?
They are okay but nothing to write home about. Much better off going with a natural bristle brushes from the likes of chikuhodo or other specialty manufacturer.

Reactions: Coach Superfan
They are okay but nothing to write home about. Much better off going with a natural bristle brushes from the likes of chikuhodo or other specialty manufacturer.

I'm a fan of the Chikuhodo brushes particularly the Z series.. I've had them for years
& they are exactly as described..
I purchased mine from VisageUSA & FUDE BEauty

Last edited:
Did anyone on this thread ever read Dana Thomas's book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster many years back? In the book she reveals (probably for the first time for many, this was published back in 2007) how many luxury labels were outsourcing production to low-wage countries and finishing the products in Western Europe, using Chinese labor in Italian factories, skimping on materials, and utilizing assembly line production. (She also gave background on the transformation of small ateliers into brands in stables owned by the LVMHs and Kerings of the world.)
Wasn't this also a way to get the 'made in Italy'?

Yes, Hermes discloses in GREAT detail. But they've got their own issues too, and all machine made (except B, K, & a few parts of the C). I've noticed some of their leathers are thinner lately tho. You also said Chanel's lambskin is delicate. And, ummm, clearly it's not. Unless it's on a classic then it falls apart. I have some great pics of a pink lambskin jumbo I got last year that arrived discolored just from being in a box (BN from boutique). It was horrid. And Chanel did NOT stand behind that one (later the whole line was recalled).

I am not here to convince you. I really don't care if you buy or not. I have bought more Chanel than probably anyone on this forum. My posts here are for people who welcome information about making expensive purchases. They are not for people like you who don't want to hear, don't want to investigate, and don't want to see. So if it's not helpful for you, just move on. No need to belabor a point that you can't substantiate.

What you DO say, that's key, is that you "don't know". And you say that quite a few times. And this, THIS, is exactly the point. NO one knows anything 100% because Chanel chooses that. They choose to withhold information, withhold production and materials specificity, withhold transparency in the manufacturing chain, along with all the other things they keep from their customers (product information, colors, dimensions, release dates, rules, shipping restrictions, availability, exceptions, etc). They do it in all other areas too, RTW, even the diamonds that come in their fine jewelry (color? clarity? no disclosures). It's not circumscribed to "leather" products, it's the company approach in general. If that works for you, then great!
Bravo!

I'm a fan of the Chikuhodo brushes particularly the Z series.. I've had them for years
& they are exactly as described..
I purchased mine from VisageUSA & FUDE BEauty
Apologies for going on a tangent here, but I have way too many brushes. I don't have Chanel brushes specifically, but do have old natural bristle brushes from Tom Ford, and a variety of Chikuhodo, Wayne Goss, Sonia G, Charlotte Tilbury, etc. I've also tried plenty of synthetic brushes back in the day like Sigma (but there's no comparison to natural bristle brushes imo). Tom Ford are quite scratchy by comparison to Japanese brushes, though I'm not a fan of the original Sonia brushes either. I quite like Rephr though, which happen to be reasonably priced too. They have very nice "soft" density to them, where something like Wayne Goss is more wispy.

• Thanks
Reactions: Coach Superfan
OH MY GOODNESS. I have just watched the 'What is bonded leather' video linked earlier in this thread. Adding here again - its a must see and only a few minutes long: https://eikenshop.com/en-au/blogs/the-traveller-notebook/what-is-bonded-leather

He says very clearly and demonstrates how bonded leather is the particle board equivalent, if you look at 100% leather is the solid timber. Reason it's used is lighter, gives the feel & cheaper option. CHEAPER option. And that layer can be less than a millimetre thin. It could even be sprayed on like a paint job considering it can be made from filing and shavings. How is this sold at the price point they are gouging people for?

Ladies there is plenty for room over in my favourite space the Chloe house. We have 100% leather and we welcome everyone. :nuts:

Are there ANY OTHER luxury brands NOT OWNED by LVMH, Kering, Richemont, the Prada Group NOR ANY OTHER conglomerates, OTHER than Chanel and Hermes which offer a large range of products? Serious question.

So, just like I try to avoid shopping through Amazon for the reason that these megacompanies are becoming too big to fail, I try whenever possible not to shop at conglomerates brands.

Tracey, let me know if you’d like me to take down the post, I realize it’s off topic. My apologies.

Last edited:
Are there ANY OTHER luxury brands NOT OWNED by LVMH, Kering, Richemont, the Prada Group NOR ANY OTHER conglomerates, OTHER than Chanel and Hermes which offer a large range of products? Serious question.

So, just like I try to avoid shopping through Amazon for the reason that these megacompanies are becoming too big to fail, I try whenever possible not to shop at conglomerates brands.

Tracey, let me know if you’d like me to take down the post, I realize it’s off topic. My apologies.
You’re fine! This thread has become a catch all for so many things,
But I feel like we are all expressing sort of global confusion, frustration and inquisitiveness around the marketplace practices as a whole. My hope is that the thread actually is entirely on topic, as it will engender better, more informed and confident decisions ;)