Anyone scared of buying Chanel

I’ve never owned anything Chanel besides makeup. I’ve been saving for a Chanel small or medium in either a classic flap or 2.55 for a while now. It’s an aspirational piece for me. I had totally bought into the whole Chanel mystique. It was the ultimate fashion house for me. I wanted in the club, lol.

All this info about about the poor quality and poor craftsmanship is deflating and has tarnished the Chanel luster for me. I’m going to Paris in November and was planning on shopping then and getting a bag if available. But maybe I should put that money towards something else. Thinking about it is making me sad.
Please don’t let it tarnish your love for Chanel. I have been purchasing Chanel for years now. Not once have I had a quality issue with any of my bags or small leather goods. So much of what we see on social media is not totally accurate. And, it’s a small portion of the Chanel bags in the world. Enjoy the brand. There’s nothing quite like a new Chanel or Hermes bag. ❤️

I have many handbags from several brands and I think the chanels have faired the best in terms of durability. I think Chanel gets hammered because expectation is stratospheric due to the very high price. My bags from mulberry, miu miu, AH don't look as they did when I bought them. Granted they were a fraction of the price but am I more accepting of them showing significant wear because of this? Ultimately its not that deep because I have enjoyed using them. I have no hermes or LV bags, not my speed so can't compare.

The chanels look pristine still and I personally think life is too short fine tooth combing a bag for quality issues. I feel that makes it a stressful buying experience so I personally would be inclined not to even bother. My vibe these days after lots of difficult personal experiences is to keep life/everything uncomplicated.

I have many handbags from several brands and I think the chanels have faired the best in terms of durability. I think Chanel gets hammered because expectation is stratospheric due to the very high price.
Agree 100000%.

I've said this many, many times in this forum, but when I bought my first bag (Jumbo Caviar GHW in 2008), I inquired in this forum to find out if a crease/pucker near the CC clasp was normal and someone was like "For the amount we're paying, the quality just gets worse..." that was when a jumbo CF was ~$2,650 USD. I exchanged it for a bag with less of a crease, but still with a light crease... today the light crease doesn't bother me since it's a well-loved bag that's filled with fond memories.

Today, when they're close to $10k, it makes total sense that folks are even more particular about the piece they're buying.

Chanel should just severely limit the amount of CFs they make (in classic colours especially) and focus on quality control.

OP, you shouldn't be "scared," everything online are just anecdotes to either sensationalize or get the click... just go in and see what they have, if the bag or whatever isn't as "good" as what you think it should be, then walk! :flowers:

Last edited:
I am "scared" or more concerned about buying Chanel lambskin leather bags as the lambskin quality to me seems to be getting worse. I don't feel the same way about buying the caviar. Just me?

Ive bought 5 bags in past 3 months, most recent is lamb (2 out of the new 5 are lamb, 2 caviar and a calf) and my lamb bags are soft and supple, just like my older ones.

I am "scared" or more concerned about buying Chanel lambskin leather bags as the lambskin quality to me seems to be getting worse. I don't feel the same way about buying the caviar. Just me?

I feel this way as well. I saw 5 lambskin bags and all had popped stitches, creases, scratches or uneven flaps. The one and only caviar I saw and exchanged my lambskin cf for strangely had no problems other than a slightly deflated quilt look which I can look pass

Reactions: juju2016
the short answer is no, not scared, and will continue to purchase bags and RTW from Chanel.

I do feel like some of their newer designs are lazy, basically just slap a CC/CHANEL logo on a bag and call it a day, so there are certain bags I will not purchase for aesthetic reasons. I've always been a medium CF kind of girl, and I haven't had quality issues with any of them, so I guess I will just stay away from seasonal pieces and keep w/ CFs.

the short answer is no, not scared, and will continue to purchase bags and RTW from Chanel.

I do feel like some of their newer designs are lazy, basically just slap a CC/CHANEL logo on a bag and call it a day, so there are certain bags I will not purchase for aesthetic reasons. I've always been a medium CF kind of girl, and I haven't had quality issues with any of them, so I guess I will just stay away from seasonal pieces and keep w/ CFs.
My 2 current seasonal items are awesome, don't count them out!

Reactions: lala_retro
which two?? Figuring out lately that I should be more open minded, was anti-boy for ages but now eyeing the light blue small boy from this season :facepalm:

I got a 22a grey lamb mini and a navy 22a mini as well in a shiny calfskin, it's novelty/fun but really nice! Actually I also got a 22a 2.55 mini in green, would love the fuchsia as well! lol So technically 3 seasonal, although 2 are classic, just not REV classic.

I got a 22a grey lamb mini and a navy 22a mini as well in a shiny calfskin, it's novelty/fun but really nice! Actually I also got a 22a 2.55 mini in green, would love the fuchsia as well! lol So technically 3 seasonal, although 2 are classic, just not REV classic.

oh haha, sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant classic styles, in REV or seasonal colors. I'm actually looking to add a lamb or calfskin mini to my collection, just waiting for the right color. Seasonal bags to me is more seasonal shapes, like that flap bag w/ the completely metal top handle.

My navy one is truly seasonal, it's very different for me. Double gold chain with Chanel buttons. We go to lots of Dallas Cowboys events so it'll be fun! The other 2 are "classic" but seasonal colors.

View attachment 5581941

View attachment 5581942

View attachment 5581943

View attachment 5581947

Beautiful! That navy is complemented very well by the aged gold HW.

I'm always a little weary w/ the completely seasonal bags, just because I feel like it's a new design, they haven't worked out all the kinks yet (like how it took Chanel a bit to add a new seam to the back of the CCH flap so the leather wouldn't crease), so the probability of weird issues is higher.

Reactions: Swanky
Beautiful! That navy is complemented very well by the aged gold HW.

I'm always a little weary w/ the completely seasonal bags, just because I feel like it's a new design, they haven't worked out all the kinks yet (like how it took Chanel a bit to add a new seam to the back of the CCH flap so the leather wouldn't crease), so the probability of weird issues is higher.

Understood, most of my collection has been seasonal lines and I've loved that my bags are rarely seen "in the wild" as there's so much fewer made. We like what we like; something for everyone! :love:

Understood, most of my collection has been seasonal lines and I've loved that my bags are rarely seen "in the wild" as there's so much fewer made. We like what we like; something for everyone! :love:

that is definitely a plus for seasonal bags. classic styles, especially REV classics, are a bit ubiquitous now that you are very likely to run into a bag twin.