Your Hermès Lessons Learned

Thank you both for describing this bag. I take it it is no longer made? Sounds like a perfect travel bag!
They are still around and show up from time to time online. Some stores may even have them lurking about. Maybe some of the travel-y touristy stores. They come and go according to H mysterious whims. If for some reason I didn’t want or couldn't get a Birkin I would happily carry the 35 as a daily tote.

- I don’t need so many silk scarf as it’s super hot outdoor in sg and the silk scarf doesn’t help in the super cold malls
- I don’t need so many cgsm for my wardrobe. The few I have (pink, black and blue base) go with my entire wardrobe. I really have no reason to buy more
- not all Hermes shoes are super comfortable
- b30 is way too heavy for me. Gives me a backache
- change the strap of k28 for a sporty or casual look. Alleviates the weight also

@WKN Finally, the pandemic has taught me the biggest lesson when it comes to H - everyday is an H day, do not keep the H stuff for special occasions - wearing H makes everyday a special day!
- really resonates with me. I make everyday special by wearing at least one H item. Conclusion? I do like Hermes for their bags and other items

My lessons learned:

1. Quota bag offers are like puppies, once one is in front of me it’s like my brain just melts, no rationality in sight. I told myself a million times to only accept if it’s the right bag before going in…once I laid eyes on the bag, the excitement hit me like a train and it took me a day before realizing the k25 was a retourne and I had sworn to only get Ks in sellier. (Now I’m glad I got a retourne, way easier to style)

2. The fantasy while in store of “oh I’ll work this into my wardrobe somehow” never pans out. If I have to change the way I dress to work something in, it’ll just sit unworn. Yes, I’m talking about scarves. I can’t wear scarves without looking like an airline stewardess.

3. Buy twillies preemptively. Chances are there won’t be a twilly that perfectly matches the accepted bag offer on the day of, so might as well just buy colorways I like as I see them, so I’m prepared for future bags.

My lessons learned:

1. Much of the mens scarves designs can easily be worn by women

2. I like the mugs but they’re too small for my liking because I don’t like refilling often

3. I like the tableware but because they’re not as dishwasher friendly they’re too fussy for me. Plus i wonder about those prop 65 warnings

4. Size up when buying any of the equestrian clothing

5. Avoid watching YouTube or looking at other client offers on fb or ig esp if it’s your boutique. So many people aren’t forthcoming about how they really got their offers and it will only make you question your sa relationship.

6. Don’t overthink or obsess over the shopping experience. If the sa doesn’t respond. So what. Follow up or forget about it. There are more important things in life than H.

7. It goes without saying that H QB are highly desirable. However, there are other wonderfully made bags by other brands. I still continue to shop Chanel, goyard, etc.

8. Ask for what you want before going to the boutique. Pre Covid it helped to ensure you didn’t overspend. Post Covid because of fewer stock, it helps to ensure that what you want is available.

9. If you want more blankets for decor and don’t want to pay for cashmere, the lower priced 100% Scottish wool blankets are surprisingly soft and a great alternative.

10. Avoid oran sandals if you have wide feet. If you size up your foot goes too far forward. If you go the regular size the shoes are too tight.

11. Hold out for what you really want even if it takes time. It’s worth it in the end.

12. Don’t buy Rtw for the sake of buying it. Boxy cuts or long sweaters or oversized coats just aren’t flattering for some people.

13. Loafers made of goat leather feel divine on your feet

14. If you’re not into logos, avoid anything with obvious logos like the h belts because you just won’t wear them.

15. Try not to have expectations when shopping h or it will sour the experience. It’s not a race.

I’ve actually been thinking about this. What a great thread. Here are my “lessons learned” lol.

-I should really experiment with “fun bright colors” in SLGs or small items first, lol.

-I actually don’t need many of the exact same models in the same category (ex. Scarves, Handbags). My preference and lifestyle doesn’t require a huge collection.

-I shouldn’t buy anything if it doesn’t make my heart flutter.

-Box leather looks beautiful but I have a difficult time using it. Although it’s a heritage leather and much sought after, it doesn’t work with my lifestyle.

My lessons learned:

1. Much of the mens scarves designs can easily be worn by women

2. I like the mugs but they’re too small for my liking because I don’t like refilling often

3. I like the tableware but because they’re not as dishwasher friendly they’re too fussy for me. Plus i wonder about those prop 65 warnings

4. Size up when buying any of the equestrian clothing

5. Avoid watching YouTube or looking at other client offers on fb or ig esp if it’s your boutique. So many people aren’t forthcoming about how they really got their offers and it will only make you question your sa relationship.

6. Don’t overthink or obsess over the shopping experience. If the sa doesn’t respond. So what. Follow up or forget about it. There are more important things in life than H.

7. It goes without saying that H QB are highly desirable. However, there are other wonderfully made bags by other brands. I still continue to shop Chanel, goyard, etc.

8. Ask for what you want before going to the boutique. Pre Covid it helped to ensure you didn’t overspend. Post Covid because of fewer stock, it helps to ensure that what you want is available.

9. If you want more blankets for decor and don’t want to pay for cashmere, the lower priced 100% Scottish wool blankets are surprisingly soft and a great alternative.

10. Avoid oran sandals if you have wide feet. If you size up your foot goes too far forward. If you go the regular size the shoes are too tight.

11. Hold out for what you really want even if it takes time. It’s worth it in the end.

12. Don’t buy Rtw for the sake of buying it. Boxy cuts or long sweaters or oversized coats just aren’t flattering for some people.

13. Loafers made of goat leather feel divine on your feet

14. If you’re not into logos, avoid anything with obvious logos like the h belts because you just won’t wear them.

15. Try not to have expectations when shopping h or it will sour the experience. It’s not a race.
Great list!!! Thanks for sharing.

My lessons:
  • Things at H take time. It doesn't mean I won't get it, but I need to be patient.
  • Don't buy scarves for their colorway if I've only seen them on H.com. The color is rarely close to what's on my monitor.
  • I'm probably not going to wear that piece of fashion jewelry or carry that SLG I bought because I really wanted something in that color, but had zero purpose in mind.
  • Never put more on my list with my SA than I can buy in one fell swoop. If I'd be turning it down were it all to arrive at once, it's much easier to simply hold off on adding it.
  • There will always be something else to buy. Maybe not this season, but eventually something will catch my eye. It's alright to take a break for a few months.

Last edited:
My lessons:
  • There will always be something else to buy. Maybe not this season, but eventually something will catch my eye. It's alright to take a break for a few months.

This! But I am always afraid the thing I don't buy will be "the one that got away", so I can't resist...

Along the same vein... this should go without saying, I have found it really pays to be kind to your H SAs. Mine holds my in-stock wishlist items for longer than other boutiques, in case I am travelling or want to think hard about the purchase before pulling the trigger. It's the little things that make a difference.

I've learned I tend to prefer vintage or discontinued bag designs.
I really love the furniture and some of the homeware (not the tableware however) and wish there were more posts about them on the forum.
I only really like the clothing designs of the Margiela and JPG era's
I own about a dozen scarves but rarely wear them yet cant bear to let them go
I want to buy more scarves yet KNOW I will seldom wear them.
The most valuable lesson I've learnt from Hermes is to let things go....
I have raised around £10,000 to go towards my vintage bag purchases by selling designer clothes and accessories that I no longer wore and were sitting in my garage.
I have learned that true luxury is beyond fashion and is sustainable-
Hence re-investing in Hermes leather-goods

My lessons:
  • Things at H take time. It doesn't mean I won't get it, but I need to be patient.
  • Don't buy scarves for their colorway if I've only seen them on H.com. The color is rarely close to what's on my monitor.
  • I'm probably not going to wear that piece of fashion jewelry or carry that SLG I bought because I really wanted something in that color, but had zero purpose in mind.
  • Never put more on my list with my SA than I can buy in one fell swoop. If I'd be turning it down were it all to arrive at once, it's much easier to simply hold off on adding it.
There are so many things on this list that ring true for me. Thank you for sharing! :smile:

Reactions: foxyqt
- I don’t need so many silk scarf as it’s super hot outdoor in sg and the silk scarf doesn’t help in the super cold malls
- I don’t need so many cgsm for my wardrobe. The few I have (pink, black and blue base) go with my entire wardrobe. I really have no reason to buy more
- not all Hermes shoes are super comfortable
- b30 is way too heavy for me. Gives me a backache
- change the strap of k28 for a sporty or casual look. Alleviates the weight also

@WKN Finally, the pandemic has taught me the biggest lesson when it comes to H - everyday is an H day, do not keep the H stuff for special occasions - wearing H makes everyday a special day!
- really resonates with me. I make everyday special by wearing at least one H item. Conclusion? I do like Hermes for their bags and other items
Love it and totally related on your last point. I wear my Kelly everyday from my wardrobe room to my office room ( in the house) back and forth. Haha cause I still work from home and need some boosters