Do You Hide Your Chanel Bags (or Other Luxury Goods) from Regular/Hourly House Keeper?

The cleaning lady working with us has been recommended by my friend and they’ve known each other for 6 years so no, not really. But before I was nervous to hire somebody as I used to live alone with all the goodies and was worried I could be targeted.

Reactions: KittyCattt
I used to hide my jewelry, but it became such a pain that I stopped. I had the same cleaning person for ages; she then hired more workers and they came in teams. She stopped to care for her mom, but I have one of her team members as my regular. This person occasionally brings someone else to help. Knock on wood no issues, but I do ask them not to enter my closet. I usually wear my most expensive jewelry daily, but it’s also insured. Just in case. If we have contractors in the house, then jewelry gets hidden. I still don’t do much with bags, SLGs, etc. We do due diligence and hire those that are bonded and insured, so I don’t worry. Too much. Unless my anxiety is up. And then I remind myself I’m being paranoid!

I don't think that housekeepers (at least in Western countries like a cleaning service) usually clean inside of closets so simply closing the closet door is usually enough. In other countries, live-in maids might fold/ put away laundry, etc. In that case, a lock might be necessary.

Install a camera in the room, make sure they're aware of the surveillance so they won't even attempt to steal the bags. I have my bags on display in my bedroom but no one is allowed to walk in. I'm always nervous about it too but I don't have a locked closet so it is what is.

I had a cleaning lady who came highly recommended by someone I knew personally and worked for us for 8 years. Years 1 through 7 were great. She added two new ladies during the 8th year. I told my three kids never to leave gift cards or valuables visible in their rooms. My son noticed cash missing from his dresser. He had placed it in a drawer under some clothing. There was no reason for anyone other than him to be in his dresser. He can be a bit scattered, so I didn’t think too much of it…figured he was possibly forgetting that he had taken it out.

Fast forward a couple of months, 1k in cash disappears from my daughter’s dresser drawer. Sealed in an envelope, under her clothes. Tips from work. I had to let my cleaning lady go. Clearly there was theft.

We have a gun safe that all paperwork and valuables that aren’t worn daily (including my and my daughter’s fine jewelry) is stored in. My bags are on shelves in my bedroom walk-in closet. Some in dust bags, some not. That closet is closed and off-limits to cleaners. No jewelry is ever left out, even costume. It took a while, but I did hire the beloved, long-term cleaning lady of a friend. I told her what happened and that I would prefer she work alone. She does, and it has been great. No more “I’m adding some new helpers” situations for me!

TraceySH, that’s an incredible story. I can’t believe what people do! :sad:

The only issue I ever had was when our contractor (also trusted) brought an assistant, young teen. He stole an iPad from my bedside. Of course I could track it and literally see it traveling in my contractor's truck!! The iPad came back, the contractor felt absolutely terrible, the kid may have gotten a second chance but NOT at my house!
So....I think it can be an issue when (like @OCMomof3 above) a trusted employee brings in new people. I would be cautious with that situation.

I had a cleaning lady who came highly recommended by someone I knew personally and worked for us for 8 years. Years 1 through 7 were great. She added two new ladies during the 8th year. I told my three kids never to leave gift cards or valuables visible in their rooms. My son noticed cash missing from his dresser. He had placed it in a drawer under some clothing. There was no reason for anyone other than him to be in his dresser. He can be a bit scattered, so I didn’t think too much of it…figured he was possibly forgetting that he had taken it out.

Fast forward a couple of months, 1k in cash disappears from my daughter’s dresser drawer. Sealed in an envelope, under her clothes. Tips from work. I had to let my cleaning lady go. Clearly there was theft.

We have a gun safe that all paperwork and valuables that aren’t worn daily (including my and my daughter’s fine jewelry) is stored in. My bags are on shelves in my bedroom walk-in closet. Some in dust bags, some not. That closet is closed and off-limits to cleaners. No jewelry is ever left out, even costume. It took a while, but I did hire the beloved, long-term cleaning lady of a friend. I told her what happened and that I would prefer she work alone. She does, and it has been great. No more “I’m adding some new helpers” situations for me!

TraceySH, that’s an incredible story. I can’t believe what people do! :sad:
Sounds like you totally understand it though!

We have a housekeeper we trust completely. Nothing is off limits to her. If we were to scatter $100 bills around the house, she would collect them, put them in a pile and tell us where to find them. She is deeply religious and lives every moment of her life believing that G-d is always with her. When she arrives, she has breakfast with us. If we're home at lunchtime, she has lunch with us. If we're not home for lunch, we leave something delicious for her to have for lunch. She's been with us for six years, and we treat her like family. We are so fortunate to have this wonderful woman in our lives, and in our home.

I have one cleaner and I pay her well and treat her nicely so she doesn’t fire us.

She’s honest and helps keep an eye on our place during her cleanings when we are away. If it’s a few months, she helps organize and deep clean and take care of the plants.

You need to vet people and always treat people who work in your home well.

We have a housekeeper we trust completely. Nothing is off limits to her. If we were to scatter $100 bills around the house, she would collect them, put them in a pile and tell us where to find them. She is deeply religious and lives every moment of her life believing that G-d is always with her. When she arrives, she has breakfast with us. If we're home at lunchtime, she has lunch with us. If we're not home for lunch, we leave something delicious for her to have for lunch. She's been with us for six years, and we treat her like family. We are so fortunate to have this wonderful woman in our lives, and in our home.
I have one cleaner and I pay her well and treat her nicely so she doesn’t fire us.

She’s honest and helps keep an eye on our place during her cleanings when we are away. If it’s a few months, she helps organize and deep clean and take care of the plants.

You need to vet people and always treat people who work in your home well.
It is encouraging to hear that some of us here do have good relationships with their cleaners! I think the biggest challenge we face right now is finding the right helper. I was (still am actually :facepalm:) doing some deep cleaning around the house this week, boy it is tiring lmao :lol:

Reactions: lill_canele and 880
I tried to stay away from this topic but seeing it pop up all the time I just want to share my popular opinion.

The assumption that cleaners are going to rob you and steal your stuff is incredibly, for a lack of a better word, rich. It has this idea that they cannot be fully trusted because they belong to a demographic that is constantly trying to look for expensive things to steal.

I don’t want to attack anyone personally and fully support the idea of only letting people in that you fully trust, regardless of what you store in your house. But assuming that cleaners are potentially criminals is incredibly classist.