Contemplating my first Dior and need your help desperately!!

Even expensive bags don't all hold their equity indefinitely, and true for Dior bags. He should know this from the Rolex secondary market except for certain models.

I saw your first post hehe and to answer your first post - that’s just how our household runs.

And this man has never made a bad purchase. He sold one of his Porsches last week and made $30k over what he paid last year and his favorite Rolex he paid $26k for and it’s selling for $48k on the resale market right now. He sees literally everything as a money game and always wants to come out on top. He’s an oil salesman by trade and I think that the fact that he loves negotiating and does it all day colors his view of the world.

• Haha
Reactions: lill_canele
He overthinks EVERYTHING lol and the man is a human calculator. He also just bought us a brand new Porsche turbo s last week so the bag request was probably bad timing ugh.

Wow. Then what's a little mini Lady Dior vs. a Porsche Turbo S? Lol.

Good luck. Starting to sound like he should loosen up a bit! He seems to get a lot of joy from making money on his investments, but maybe he can also understand that not everything you get is to make money from it. There are a lot of ways to smartly spend/save/invest.

I'm sure you're learning lots from him in terms of $ management, but honestly, I'm hoping you can achieve financial independence soon and figure out your own $ philosophy!

At the same time, you seem to be okay with it, so what do I know? I'm sure within a few years the bag you want will show up on the resale market at a more palatable price. Not sure if it'll ever be under your $1000 limit, but here's hoping!

I saw your first post hehe and to answer your first post - that’s just how our household runs.

He sees literally everything as a money game and always wants to come out on top.

I edited to avoid the editorial remark (though others are alluding to the theme of independence). But with this partner's mentality, I have to wonder, as for any adult person, just how much will you tolerate of your personal styling choices being reduced to dollars in and dollars out. How about the intangibles we bring to shopping: imagination, enthusiasm, expressiveness? Does this "winning" extend to nonrecoverable self-maintenance decisions, like gym membership and grooming? Rhetorical. And, most here have plenty of personal and business successes but still see a handbag as...a handbag.

If you're happy is how he comes out "on top."

Last edited:
Wow. Then what's a little mini Lady Dior vs. a Porsche Turbo S? Lol.

Good luck. Starting to sound like he should loosen up a bit! He seems to get a lot of joy from making money on his investments, but maybe he can also understand that not everything you get is to make money from it. There are a lot of ways to smartly spend/save/invest.

I'm sure you're learning lots from him in terms of $ management, but honestly, I'm hoping you can achieve financial independence soon and figure out your own $ philosophy!

At the same time, you seem to be okay with it, so what do I know? I'm sure within a few years the bag you want will show up on the resale market at a more palatable price. Not sure if it'll ever be under your $1000 limit, but here's hoping!

I absolutely agree with you on all points!!

I made some very bad money decisions before we met and came into this relationship with a lot of debt that he’s essentially erased for me and he’s helping me build up my own savings in my own name to be financially independent. He’s a truly good man and really looks out for me in every way and I feel almost like a spoiled child being so invested in wanting this bag.

I do look forward to having my own money philosophy and being able to purchase my own extravagant items but I did put myself in this position with how I lived prior to him. I appreciate your replies and thoughtfulness so much!!

I edited to avoid the editorial remark (though others are alluding to the theme of independence). But for this partner's mentality, I have to wonder, as for any adult person, just how much will you tolerate of your personal styling choices being reduced to dollars in and dollars out, in someone else's perspective. How about passion, interest, expressiveness? Does it extend to self-maintenance like gym membership and grooming? Rhetorical.

And most here have plenty of personal and business successes but still see a handbag as...a handbag. If you're happy is how he comes out "on top."
Haha I didn’t mind it at all!! I understood your comment completely. He pays for all beauty stuff without question. His dad raised him to believe a man takes care of his woman’s beauty routine so that’s what he does. He added me to the Amex and I have my own card. He doesn’t care how I dress - I love loud colors and super high heels and tons of jewelry and fitted clothes and he’s never once objected to any of that.

And I mentioned above, I did some truly dumb things with money and he chose to help erase a lot of those mistakes for me and he’s helping build up my own savings so I can move freely. He’s a kind and generous man and that’s why I’ve not been forceful about this bag.

I really appreciate all of the conversation and your thoughtful replies SO much!!!

I will be looking for this bag on the resale market in a few months I think!!!!

I can understand where your partner is coming from. My husband is similar to yours in that his cars’ resale values have been high lately and same for his watches. He also considers resale value when he buys items and talked me into a purse (Chanel) because “you can always sell it for more if you’re tired of it”.

I am a sentimental buyer. I buy to keep and can’t imagine selling my purses. My bags are significantly cheaper than cars and watches but the emotional weight is more.

We coexist because I don’t roll my eyes at his big purchases (and I try my best not to roll them again when he resells them LOL), and he considers all my fun expenses as a gift and says it’s a small price to pay for my happiness. Hopefully your partner will see it similarly.

Also, FWIW, the LD has been my favorite bag for the past 6 months. It’s silly, but I smile every time I see it. Sounds like you feel similarly about the LD, and I hope that you get yours sooner than later. :smile:

Hi, you should buy only things you love, bc very little holds its value. But, dior bag values drop like rocks, especially the expensive ones (exotics). IMO this particular LD bag will not hold its value nor stand the test of time. It’s not a limited edition LD art bag, and I think LD positioned it to be a whimsical bag similar in function to the zillions of metallic chanel unicorn minis now on the resale market. I do think there is a reasonably good chance that it will pop up on resale eventually. Dior has been pushing the LD, so perhaps resale values will start to rise. (While I don’t have many dior bags, I do have a lot of dior RTW, and my SA has shown me a ton of bags). JMO, and good luck!

ETA: I am in the minority on TPF: I think chanel bags are about the same quality as years prior (I’ve purchased or been given bags from 1990 onward). I do think that chanel bags are generally better made than dior.

Last edited:
I can understand where your partner is coming from. My husband is similar to yours in that his cars’ resale values have been high lately and same for his watches. He also considers resale value when he buys items and talked me into a purse (Chanel) because “you can always sell it for more if you’re tired of it”.

I am a sentimental buyer. I buy to keep and can’t imagine selling my purses. My bags are significantly cheaper than cars and watches but the emotional weight is more.

We coexist because I don’t roll my eyes at his big purchases (and I try my best not to roll them again when he resells them LOL), and he considers all my fun expenses as a gift and says it’s a small price to pay for my happiness. Hopefully your partner will see it similarly.

Also, FWIW, the LD has been my favorite bag for the past 6 months. It’s silly, but I smile every time I see it. Sounds like you feel similarly about the LD, and I hope that you get yours sooner than later. :smile:

I am sentimental too!! I have never sold a bag and probably realistically won’t.

My partner has bought me eleven bags over the last year and 3 pairs of designer shoes, a wallet, and a keepall so I truly can’t complain about him keeping me happy.

The lady dior is definitely going to be my next bag! It may just not be this particular LD but I’m so glad I saw it because I don’t think I would have noticed the LD at all if not for this print.

I really appreciate your reply. It’s nice to know I’m not alone haha

• Love
Reactions: hmn002
Hi, you should buy only things you love, bc very little holds its value. But, dior bag values drop like rocks, especially the expensive ones (exotics). IMO this particular LD bag will not hold its value nor stand the test of time. It’s not a limited edition LD art bag, and I think LD positioned it to be a whimsical bag similar in function to the zillions of metallic chanel unicorn minis now on the resale market. I do think there is a reasonably good chance that it will pop up on resale eventually. Dior has been pushing the LD, so perhaps resale values will start to rise. (While I don’t have many dior bags, I do have a lot of dior RTW, and my SA has shown me a ton of bags). JMO, and good luck!

ETA: I am in the minority on TPF: I think chanel bags are about the same quality as years prior (I’ve purchased or been given bags from 1990 onward). I do think that chanel bags are generally better made than dior.

Hi!! Thanks for your reply!!! I agree about only buying what you love. My man has offered to buy me several bags that I did not love that I turned down! And I don’t mind buying things that others don’t like!! This bag truly made my heart sing and I’m hopeful I can get ahold of her in the next two months or so!! I have so much fomo knowing only 16 bags were made but we have left for home and we don’t have a Saks or dior boutique in our city so I have resigned myself to knowing she likely won’t be mine.

But I am happy to have found the lady dior in general as the bag shape and handles and size are super perfect for my life.

He says he would prefer to get me a Chanel but there’s nothing that appeals to me at this time! I will keep shopping and researching and I truly appreciate all of your input!!!

• Love
Reactions: averagejoe and 880
Ok y’all serious question. My bf just checked the Dior website and said the bag is still available to order and is available in boutiques in BOTH black and white. If it’s so limited edition with only 16 black and 22 white ones made, WHY are they still sitting in stores?! Exclusive items like that at LV are sold before they even hit the store!

• Wow
Reactions: lulilu
Ok y’all serious question. My bf just checked the Dior website and said the bag is still available to order and is available in boutiques in BOTH black and white. If it’s so limited edition with only 16 black and 22 white ones made, WHY are they still sitting in stores?! Exclusive items like that at LV are sold before they even hit the store!
They may eventually sell out. For example, the butterfly Lady Dior introduced for Lunar New Year 2022 did not sell out immediately, but now there is a member looking for it and it is most likely unavailable at almost all boutiques. Dior does not have the same magnitude of business (and demand) as Chanel and LV, although it's getting there. This means that Dior bags don't sell out nearly as quickly as Chanel and LV ones, even popular styles.

They may eventually sell out. For example, the butterfly Lady Dior introduced for Lunar New Year 2022 did not sell out immediately, but now there is a member looking for it and it is most likely unavailable at almost all boutiques. Dior does not have the same magnitude of business (and demand) as Chanel and LV, although it's getting there. This means that Dior bags don't sell out nearly as quickly as Chanel and LV ones, even popular styles.

Thank you so much!! I just adore this bag and I’m gonna be stalking it until it’s mine lol

Reactions: averagejoe
You could tell him dior is owned by LVMH and it exploded in popularity, esp. in signature logo-ed goods during Covid SIP.
in my opinion, dior as a fashion house has peaked slightly, but I’m not entirely on board with MGC or logo mania. I always wished kim Jones could collaborate on the RTW, and now he’s at Fendi. . .