Overheard Hermès

I heard a couple telling their SA 'No bags? we will come back every day of our trip until next month' in a very threatening voice haha. I was even scared to stand near them LOL.
I've always say to people asking me how I've gotten bag offers is that I'm friendly with everyone in the store, often asking how their families are etc. I buy consistently, usually from my main SA, and never come off as obnoxious and privileged. I know people who've spent a lot more than me, and have a lot more money who haven't gotten offers yet or rarely do. It's all in your attitude. I would guess that it's different in some stores, but the old saying "you catch more flies with honey" has always been my motto.

I've always say to people asking me how I've gotten bag offers is that I'm friendly with everyone in the store, often asking how their families are etc. I buy consistently, usually from my main SA, and never come off as obnoxious and privileged. I know people who've spent a lot more than me, and have a lot more money who haven't gotten offers yet or rarely do. It's all in your attitude. I would guess that it's different in some stores, but the old saying "you catch more flies with honey" has always been my motto.
I'm applauding you! I say the same thing all the time. Just be kind and genuine and it'll pay off. Maybe I'm naive. Or maybe I'm lucky. But I genuinely adore my SA, so being kind is no hardship. If he never offered me a bag, I'd adore him and I think he knows that. Maybe that's why he offers me bags. I am not a big spender at all!

Ha! That's how i got my first Birkin. When I first started working with my SA, I told him 2 things: 1. I'm probably going to be your poorest client; and 2. I'll never ask for a bag. Maybe a Constance but just not into the Birkin or Kelly. I've clearly been won over, but he talked me into "just looking " at a Birkin. Been hooked every since. Lol.
OMG, it's almost like my story. My first Hermes visit in London, I was carrying pre-owned fjord Kelly 28. The SA asked me where I got this bag from and I said preloved, I'm too poor to be offered anything by you. He started laughing and offered me K32 sellier blue electrique that a client didn't pick up that day. Unfortunately I wasn't in position to buy it due to money transfer not arriving on time and me needing to jump on a train pronto. But a few months later I got K32 in etoupe from him.

OMG, it's almost like my story. My first Hermes visit in London, I was carrying pre-owned fjord Kelly 28. The SA asked me where I got this bag from and I said preloved, I'm too poor to be offered anything by you. He started laughing and offered me K32 sellier blue electrique that a client didn't pick up that day. Unfortunately I wasn't in position to buy it due to money transfer not arriving on time and me needing to jump on a train pronto. But a few months later I got K32 in etoupe from him.
I love hearing stories like this! That's so awesome.

At FSH 2014…
Man: I want to buy a bag for my wife.

SM: please join the queue for the leather department
Man: do you know who am I? No I will not queue. (Proceed to sit at the sofa right at the entrance)
SM: everyone is busy now and there’s a queue so you will have to join the queue
Man: no I want a Birkin for my wife and no I won’t be queuing. Do you know who am I? It’s ridiculous. When someone is free ask them come find me I will be here.

And obviously no one knew who this man was! Neither did I because I couldn’t recognise him as anyone famous! So after talking so loudly at the entrance and insisting he will not join the queue and wants to be served immediately, an SA approached him and he walked out with an orange box happily…

At FSH 2014…

Man: do you know who am I? No I will not queue. (Proceed to sit at the sofa right at the entrance)
Man: no I want a Birkin for my wife and no I won’t be queuing. Do you know who am I? It’s ridiculous. When someone is free ask them come find me I will be here.

And obviously no one knew who this man was! Neither did I because I couldn’t recognise him as anyone famous! So after talking so loudly at the entrance and insisting he will not join the queue and wants to be served immediately, an SA approached him and he walked out with an orange box happily…
Did not expect that plot twist at the end...

Also, I wonder what the best luxury customer service protocol is... what if this person is famous? Surely, the SA/SM can't go up and say, "sorry, sir, who are you?". But I also pity the SA who has to go up and try to figure out the small talk, if indeed the person is someone important.

Last edited:
Ha! That's how i got my first Birkin. When I first started working with my SA, I told him 2 things: 1. I'm probably going to be your poorest client; and 2. I'll never ask for a bag. Maybe a Constance but just not into the Birkin or Kelly. I've clearly been won over, but he talked me into "just looking " at a Birkin. Been hooked every since. Lol.
It goes to show that "Reverse Psychology" works :biggrin: I have been offered a bag too (not B/K/C but a popular bag too nonetheless) when the SA knew that I was looking for smaller items, showing genuine interest in the brand, and was not at all anticipating a bag offer of any kind. She said: "I have a bag in this color (my favorite color) in the back that you might like. Here is the picture (shows it on her phone). I will bring it out if you want to look at it but we have to do things discretely." (She said she had bad experiences in the past when other clients threw a fit over other clients being offered a bag yet they were not offered one!). I was in shock for a while! :confused1::-s:smile:
Anyways, back to things "overheard" in H. I smile whenever I hear: "What do I need to do to get a Birkin?" I once asked that question before.....the naive but curious me. I figured, if you don't ask, you will never know the answer!

On a recent H visit, not really what I overheard someone say but rather someone trying to overhear … so picture another client going silent while her SA is talking to her. The client inches closer to me to eavesdrop my convo with my SA. I got the sense of being watched so I stopped talking mid sentence, slowly turned in her direction and she scooted out of my space. Unreal !!!! At least my SA and I got a good chuckle later

Overheard at a Paris store: 1 lady was arguing with the poor SA serving her and the cashier, demanding an appointment. A floor manager came and the lady turned to speak to her instead, of course the manager said she had to try via the online system. Then:

Customer (C): If you can’t give me an appointment now, how about I buy one of the bags you have on the shelves right there?
Manager (M): they are for display only, to buy a bag you need an appointment which you can apply for online, as I’ve just explained.
C: why can’t I buy one of those bags? I’m willing to pay for them??
M: *repeats what she said earlier*
C: ok, so you reserve bags for VIPs only right? You won’t sell to me specifically only?
M: no that’s not true. *then repeats once again what she explained earlier* I can give you a card to apply…
C: oh the one with the QR code for the online system? No thanks!

The lady then angrily turned away, almost forgetting the laces of her new shoes :biggrin:

Overheard at a Paris store: 1 lady was arguing with the poor SA serving her and the cashier, demanding an appointment. A floor manager came and the lady turned to speak to her instead, of course the manager said she had to try via the online system. Then:

Customer (C): If you can’t give me an appointment now, how about I buy one of the bags you have on the shelves right there?
Manager (M): they are for display only, to buy a bag you need an appointment which you can apply for online, as I’ve just explained.
C: why can’t I buy one of those bags? I’m willing to pay for them??
M: *repeats what she said earlier*
C: ok, so you reserve bags for VIPs only right? You won’t sell to me specifically only?
M: no that’s not true. *then repeats once again what she explained earlier* I can give you a card to apply…
C: oh the one with the QR code for the online system? No thanks!

The lady then angrily turned away, almost forgetting the laces of her new shoes :biggrin:

Poor SA yes and no.. We all know they gave appointments without trying online. And yes in my opinion she was honnest by mentioning some différents treatments. VIP’s no but influencers or black chyna yes.
After that attitude will not help her to get an appointment.

Blatantly lying to customers is so wrong. Why can’t the SAs take the honest approach and just tell people, “sorry, we have very limited stock right now so it’s being held for our long time customers.” People wouldn’t like it, but at least they could decide for themselves whether they want to put in the money to become a valued customer, or take their business elsewhere.
I think when the client is new to the store or SA, they kept saying sorry, we have no bags. However, when the person is a regular client, then the SA will tell you honestly. Even my SA never told me that they have no bags, it's either: the inventory is still low/the shipment has not been back to normal yet OR some long time clients that are waiting for the same bag as me, have not gotten one yet.

At FSH 2014…

That SA missed a golden opportunity:

Customer: "Do you know who I am?"
SA: "No, I'm afraid do not know who you are. I'm sorry you lost your ID and have amnesia."

Not as dramatic as other stories I’ve been reading, but this happened to me earlier this month and I still laugh about it.

I shop at a small, albeit busy boutique that does not have any private rooms. I wasn’t expecting any thing special this particular visit, but after greeting me and chatting briefly, my SA took me to the back of the store for a little more subtlety. He then proceeded to bring out a big, beautiful, shrink-wrapped orange box. It turned out that he had been working with my husband to surprise me for our anniversary.

My SA unboxed my surprise to reveal a gog B30! This whole time, I had my K28 next to me sitting on the glass display case. In my state of shock, I was oblivious to the entire world, but my husband later informed me that multiple parties of shoppers in the store were just circling around our counter eyeing the bags. When my SA left to bring me something else, one lady approached and grabbed my K (which was still right there next to me!). I told her that was my bag and took it back. She seemed embarrassed and apologized awkwardly, then quickly left me alone to obsess over my new B in peace :biggrin: