Contemplating my first Dior and need your help desperately!!

CAcker01

O.G.
Sep 17, 2013
Hi Dior ladies (and gents!)

Happy Monday!

I posted in the chat thread while I was literally in the Dior store but didn't get any responses and didn't post in depth as I was in a rush!

I am an LV girl who has dabbled a bit in Fendi and YSL but Christian Dior has caught my attention as of late.

My partner is the financier of all of my bags so it's important that he likes the bag and sees it as a good investment and he is NOT sold on Dior at all. His mom told him that Dior goes in and out of style and the bags lose their value quickly. We have never resold a bag but he loves that everything he has bought me from LV is either exclusive/limited edition and can't be bought for retail or that it has gone up in retail cost since we purchased. (example - he bought me the rose pink Coussin bag last year for $3,550 and the color is now unavailable and the bag now retails for $4700).

I fell DEEPLY in love with the mini lady dior from the new zodiac collection in the latte color and got a chance to see it in person last week. I LOVE the size, the shape, the chain strap, the colors, the feet on the bottom. I just fell for the bag so hard. My partner did not and this is literally the first time he has ever disagreed with me on a bag that I see as a NEED (haha). He feels that the bag is very trendy and that the $4900 price tag is not justified at all. He is concerned that it will lose significant value and I will never be able to resell it if I wanted to do down the road.

Can you ladies help me with facts, information, and stories that I can share with him to prove that CD is not going to wane in popularity, that this particular bag is worth the price tag, and just any other information that might help my case!!

The Dior SA said that only 26 of this bag in this color were produced. My partner asked me why was the bag sitting in the store if it was so exclusive. He feels that if it were actually in high demand, we wouldn't have just seen it sitting on the shelf at the store.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! haha I need any and all information on Dior, Diors maintaining their value, and any other info you can help me with!

Thank you so much, TPF family!!!

Last edited:
The unfortunate truth is that, for the most part, Dior does not hold its value well. :sad: Especially when you compare it to brands like Chanel and Hermes. Even though the Lady Dior, as a classic, will hold its value better than other Dior bags, it still depreciates quite a bit in value. Even the limited edition Lady Diors, with all the beautiful stitching and craftsmanship will drop in value relatively quickly. No one really knows why.
(Btw no hate on Dior or Lady Dior. I really do love the bag, it just doesn't fit my aesthetic and lifestyle. It's one of the bags I love from afar.)

Due to the Dior price increases, Lady Dior bags appear to hold their value better on the resale market (as the pre-loved websites bump up their prices along with the increasing retail prices) but only time will tell how that will pan out.
Also, compared to the significantly higher price point of Chanel and Hermes, Lady Dior's are more affordable and obtainable and have become more popular in recent years. Their popularity does increase in demand which may help retain value for the time being, but we don't know how long.

You can do a quick search on any resale website (like Fashiophile and TRR) and see anywhere between a 10-75% drop on retail price depending on the quality and size.

But also, I'm not exactly sure why your partner is so serious about a bag. It's just a bag at the end of the day. An expensive bag, but still a bag. :smile: The amount of money you or anyone is willing to pay depends on what you think is worth it and part of knowing if its worth it, is if it makes your heart sing :heart:. My husband has opinions on my bags, even the ones he buys for me. There are bags that he dislikes. But at the end of the day, if it makes me happy, either I'll buy it or he'll buy it because he knows I will be happy.
If he really is adamant on not buying you this bag, how about buying it for yourself?

Side note: I disagree with a financer who thinks bag are investments. They are not in my humble opinion. But that's just me. :P

The unfortunate truth is that, for the most part, Dior does not hold its value well. :sad: Especially when you compare it to brands like Chanel and Hermes. Even though the Lady Dior, as a classic, will hold its value better than other Dior bags, it still depreciates quite a bit in value. Even the limited edition Lady Diors, with all the beautiful stitching and craftsmanship will drop in value relatively quickly. No one really knows why.
(Btw no hate on Dior or Lady Dior. I really do love the bag, it just doesn't fit my aesthetic and lifestyle. It's one of the bags I love from afar.)

Due to the Dior price increases, Lady Dior bags appear to hold their value better on the resale market (as the pre-loved websites bump up their prices along with the increasing retail prices) but only time will tell how that will pan out.
Also, compared to the significantly higher price point of Chanel and Hermes, Lady Dior's are more affordable and obtainable and have become more popular in recent years. Their popularity does increase in demand which may help retain value for the time being, but we don't know how long.

You can do a quick search on any resale website (like Fashiophile and TRR) and see anywhere between a 10-75% drop on retail price depending on the quality and size.

But also, I'm not exactly sure why your partner is so serious about a bag. It's just a bag at the end of the day. An expensive bag, but still a bag. :smile: The amount of money you or anyone is willing to pay depends on what you think is worth it and part of knowing if its worth it, is if it makes your heart sing :heart:. My husband has opinions on my bags, even the ones he buys for me. There are bags that he dislikes. But at the end of the day, if it makes me happy, either I'll buy it or he'll buy it because he knows I will be happy.
If he really is adamant on not buying you this bag, how about buying it for yourself?

Side note: I disagree with a financer who thinks bag are investments. They are not in my humble opinion. But that's just me. :P
thank you SO much for your thoughtful reply!! i had a very different life before i met him and he's done a lot to help me get on my feet financially. we agreed that i wouldn't make any extravagant (over $1,000) purchases while i am building my financial independence back up so purchasing for myself is not in the cards at this time.

i agree that bags aren't investments and i think we have been very lucky that all of the items that made my heart sing over the last year have happened to increase in resale value. the LV hypebeasts are really something else haha!!

to me, this bag is worth the $4,900 but it's not "my" money per se. the bag is just not worth it to him and i guess i sadly have to accept that. he says he would rather get me a chanel or additional LV items but there's nothing else out right now that makes my heart sing the way this bag does. i may just have to accept that it's not for me at this time and hope maybe i can get it off the real real or fashionphile in a few months.

i truly appreciate your well thought out reply!!!

• Insightful
Reactions: lill_canele
thank you SO much for your thoughtful reply!! i had a very different life before i met him and he's done a lot to help me get on my feet financially. we agreed that i wouldn't make any extravagant (over $1,000) purchases while i am building my financial independence back up so purchasing for myself is not in the cards at this time.

i agree that bags aren't investments and i think we have been very lucky that all of the items that made my heart sing over the last year have happened to increase in resale value. the LV hypebeasts are really something else haha!!

to me, this bag is worth the $4,900 but it's not "my" money per se. the bag is just not worth it to him and i guess i sadly have to accept that. he says he would rather get me a chanel or additional LV items but there's nothing else out right now that makes my heart sing the way this bag does. i may just have to accept that it's not for me at this time and hope maybe i can get it off the real real or fashionphile in a few months.

i truly appreciate your well thought out reply!!!
Bags don't often hold their value. Even some LV and Chanel styles drop dramatically in resale. The price depends on several factors. Higher price leather LV bags don't hold nearly the same value for resale as their lower-priced canvas pieces. You should see their men's items. They usually have lower resale values than women's bags.

The Lady Dior's steady price increases have meant rising resale values. Still, nowhere near that of popular Chanel, Hermes, and LV pieces, but way better than years before. It is the only Dior bag that has true staying power, thanks to constant advertising and price increases.

Seeing a bag available in store could mean that the bag isn't as popular as an SA makes it sound, although it could also be sheer luck that the bag is in stock. For instance, a customer may be able to walk into an LV store and see a highly sought-out bag just sitting on display. Doesn't mean no one wants it anymore or it isn't hard to get. It just happened to be in stock.

Personally, I do like bags that retain their value, because it speaks to the fact that they are in demand even years later, but many of my bag purchases are of bags that I fell in love with which have terrible resale. I got them because I really liked them.

Can you at least convince him that the Lady Dior has been around since 1994, and has been a Dior best-seller since?

Bags don't often hold their value. Even some LV and Chanel styles drop dramatically in resale. The price depends on several factors. Higher price leather LV bags don't hold nearly the same value for resale as their lower-priced canvas pieces. You should see their men's items. They usually have lower resale values than women's bags.

The Lady Dior's steady price increases have meant rising resale values. Still, nowhere near that of popular Chanel, Hermes, and LV pieces, but way better than years before. It is the only Dior bag that has true staying power, thanks to constant advertising and price increases.

Seeing a bag available in store could mean that the bag isn't as popular as an SA makes it sound, although it could also be sheer luck that the bag is in stock. For instance, a customer may be able to walk into an LV store and see a highly sought-out bag just sitting on display. Doesn't mean no one wants it anymore or it isn't hard to get. It just happened to be in stock.

Personally, I do like bags that retain their value, because it speaks to the fact that they are in demand even years later, but many of my bag purchases are of bags that I fell in love with which have terrible resale. I got them because I really liked them.

Can you at least convince him that the Lady Dior has been around since 1994, and has been a Dior best-seller since?

I agree with you on all points! We just went to another Dior store and they had the black version of the bag and the SA said only 16 of the black were made. We were told 25 of the white were made. My boyfriend is now asking me if the bags are so rare/so few made why are there two available in the same city?

We then went down to LV and there are two bags I like there but both were pre ordered by other clients and unavailable to order another. This fact makes the bags seem more desirable to him.

I don’t know how to answer his question of why they are just sitting in the store if they are so rare? I think this bag will sadly not be mine and I need to quit thinking about it

I agree with you on all points! We just went to another Dior store and they had the black version of the bag and the SA said only 16 of the black were made. We were told 25 of the white were made. My boyfriend is now asking me if the bags are so rare/so few made why are there two available in the same city?

We then went down to LV and there are two bags I like there but both were pre ordered by other clients and unavailable to order another. This fact makes the bags seem more desirable to him.

I don’t know how to answer his question of why they are just sitting in the store if they are so rare? I think this bag will sadly not be mine and I need to quit thinking about it
What if you told him that all of the rare items from these multi-billion dollar brands are not truly rare. It is merely perceived rarity. Take the Hermes Birkin, for example. Not available to be purchased by just walking into an Hermes store, and requires loyalty to the brand before being offered one (usually). Seems more rare than most LV bags, although if you look at resale sites and also even this forum, several members have the Birkin, some in several different colours. Something this rare certainly is owned by a lot of people!

For a luxury brand to sell items and make billions in sales (and profit) means that few items are truly rare.

Certainly, not being able to buy some of the items speaks to their high demand, and a manufacturing process that can't (or deliberately won't) keep up with the demand.

What I'm arguing is that it is hard to apply logic and finance to bags. At the end of the day, emotions play a big part in what we buy. We may justify it with reasoning, logic, and research to make it seem like it is not.

For instance, several people would go for a Rolex as the watch to own. It tends to hold its value, and has a very recognizable name. Yet for horology fanatics, a Rolex is subpar to a Jaeger or Patek, because Rolexes are actually mass-produced in comparison, and have common mass-produced Rolex movements. I would argue that a horology fanatic won't be able to convince a Rolex fan to buy a different watch. It wouldn't work the other way around, either. Both of them have such strong "evidence" to explain their preferences, enough to drive them to purchase completely different watches. Both think they made the best choice. To each their own.

Hopefully he can see that the Lady Dior means something to you that he doesn't understand, enough to get it for you :biggrin:

What if you told him that all of the rare items from these multi-billion dollar brands are not truly rare. It is merely perceived rarity. Take the Hermes Birkin, for example. Not available to be purchased by just walking into an Hermes store, and requires loyalty to the brand before being offered one (usually). Seems more rare than most LV bags, although if you look at resale sites and also even this forum, several members have the Birkin, some in several different colours. Something this rare certainly is owned by a lot of people!

For a luxury brand to sell items and make billions in sales (and profit) means that few items are truly rare.

Certainly, not being able to buy some of the items speaks to their high demand, and a manufacturing process that can't (or deliberately won't) keep up with the demand.

What I'm arguing is that it is hard to apply logic and finance to bags. At the end of the day, emotions play a big part in what we buy. We may justify it with reasoning, logic, and research to make it seem like it is not.

For instance, several people would go for a Rolex as the watch to own. It tends to hold its value, and has a very recognizable name. Yet for horology fanatics, a Rolex is subpar to a Jaeger or Patek, because Rolexes are actually mass-produced in comparison, and have common mass-produced Rolex movements. I would argue that a horology fanatic won't be able to convince a Rolex fan to buy a different watch. It wouldn't work the other way around, either. Both of them have such strong "evidence" to explain their preferences, enough to drive them to purchase completely different watches. Both think they made the best choice. To each their own.

Hopefully he can see that the Lady Dior means something to you that he doesn't understand, enough to get it for you :biggrin:

Wow I love this reply so much. I truly appreciate the time you took to write to me. As luck would have it, he’s a big Rolex guy so I plan to use this data in my “presentation” tonight over dinner.

We are on vacation and it’s our last night here. We leave late tomorrow and I am hoping I can be convincing enough to return home with one extra purse in my luggage

The SA did just text me that they got the black version in today and sold the white one yesterday after it was only there for two days. That made his ears perk up a little. Why are men so competitive?!? It’s almost like if the bag is in danger of not being available to us, then he wants it. ‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️

Wow I love this reply so much. I truly appreciate the time you took to write to me. As luck would have it, he’s a big Rolex guy so I plan to use this data in my “presentation” tonight over dinner.

We are on vacation and it’s our last night here. We leave late tomorrow and I am hoping I can be convincing enough to return home with one extra purse in my luggage

The SA did just text me that they got the black version in today and sold the white one yesterday after it was only there for two days. That made his ears perk up a little. Why are men so competitive?!? It’s almost like if the bag is in danger of not being available to us, then he wants it. ‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️
I sense a bit of "FOMO" here as well, which gets me all the time!

Good luck!

I sense a bit of "FOMO" here as well, which gets me all the time!

Good luck!
MAJOR FOMO!!!! This is the first non LV bag that’s ever made my heart skip a beat and since I’m not familiar with the brand, I’m terrified of losing out and not sure how easy it may be to find one down the road!

Thanks for all of your time and comments!!! Super appreciated.

Can't say it better than averagejoe, but fingers crossed for you! Hopefully them selling the white one helps your case! And if not, just say it'll be your early or late bday present!

And if all else fails, in a few years when you're ready, look for it on the resale market! Given this conversation, it might be cheaper then!

I just love the Lady Diors and the Lady Dior mini ( I don’t own one yet) while you probably won’t sell your bag at a profit, I’m sure if you wanted to sell in the future it would still be snapped up. And I don’t believe any bag is really as ‘limited, limited, limited “ like we’re always getting told.

Even expensive bags don't all hold their equity indefinitely, and true for Dior bags. He should know this from the Rolex secondary market except for certain models.

Last edited:
Reactions: lulilu
I just love the Lady Diors and the Lady Dior mini ( I don’t own one yet) while you probably won’t sell your bag at a profit, I’m sure if you wanted to sell in the future it would still be snapped up. And I don’t believe any bag is really as ‘limited, limited, limited “ like we’re always getting told.

Haha I just saw this meme and I agree they make things seem more limited than they probably really are at all the luxury brands!

F9E862E5-54D0-440C-8AE8-79C134EEFFE3.jpeg