Anyone scared of buying Chanel

umamanikam

O.G.
Aug 14, 2006
After reading several posts here and seeing the recent condition of the bags on u tube ,I am not that excited anymore of buying Chanel .Spending thousands of dollars and no idea what leather it is makes me question ,” do I really want another bag “ .I have been waitlisted for a bag from coming collection but I am not sure anymore ,more so as of the certain bags I purchased for the previous collection .Anyone sitting on the fence !!!

No, simple answer lol

I've purchased 5 Chanels and looked at many others since April and none of mine have any issues and none that I looked at had any either. I've never had a quality issues since I started buying 16-17 years ago.
Most buyers don't run to YT to discuss their purchases, I'd take them with a grain of salt.
Same here… I believe every batch is different and quality certainly varies.
But I agree that most people -who never have an issue- don’t talk about their Chanel on the internet.

Nope, not at all. It's a bag in the end. Bags I've bought from various designers have all had some slight imperfection and I just live with it. Whether it be Dior, Hermes, Chanel, Celine - all of my bags have had something I could say is a "imperfection", and it's not specific to Chanel. In general, I think Chanel quality is fairly decent. I've already bought 2 classics this year... I wish I could say I won't buy anymore Chanel LOL.

Not scared but not excited anymore because it's a lot of effort checking the quality. I would say just spend your time and very carefully inspect it and make a written list of things to check for even if it looks silly. I spent a decent amount of time inspecting my last one and was lazer focused on checking for slants, peeling leather and popped stitches, only to realize later on that I still missed something. I wish I had a written list with me because it's hard to remember it all.

Most buyers don't run to YT to discuss their purchases, I'd take them with a grain of salt.

Not to mention, the incentive structure at YouTube forces creators to leverage drama to increase their content reach. That leads to a disproportionately large number of YouTubers talking about quality issues...

Ya gotta appease the algorithmic overlords, you know.

I think the only thing I have ever been scared of and personally disappointed by is the stupid pre release color swatches - I get bummed when something I’m anticipating is a very random and very off color.

Otherwise, I personally haven’t had any quality problems and I buy across all categories. Sadly my caramel mini came in with some weird punctures in it but the SA caught it and got me a new one. This same caramel mini feels different than my other lamb skin items, and that was disappointing as it was quite bit dry. With use it’s softened, and I think the best thing you can do, if you are able of course, is scope items out in real life and evaluate if it’s a worthwhile purchase. It’s harder when remote shopping of course, but I think being selective is always a good thing, even if one has unlimited funds to enjoy all the beautiful things they like.

Also mirroring the above, I do feel YouTubers have every right to put out complaints but they tend to spin-off into a doom posting spree for a month. They often keep buying Chanel anyways, but scare us out of doing so. Not sure if this is to make it easier for them to secure hot items lol. It’s unfortunate but surely this is part of how they make money so I see why they do it and make more and more videos to get said ad revenue.

So if possible, I think it’s better to try and judge for yourself by seeing items irl. Many brands have rhetoric around quality issues over the years. I only began buying luxury in 2015 (not Chanel just yet, I began buying shoes and SLG in 2018) And haven’t seen any major quality flaws since then. But I like to be discerning in general no matter what level of brand I’m buying and I feel it helps a lot.

One thing that could be worth highlighting - old posts from
The early 2010s also note a lack of quality in Chanel products. I think for every piece that is really flawed, there could also be other posters who felt the holy grail item they bought didn’t meet their very high expectations. Often times these items are so built up in our mind that when it’s less supple or the dimensions are awkward I think it’s easy for us to be disappointed. Again - don’t want to diminish bad experiences, but I feel this could be a phenomenon worth evaluating as a part of the equation

So i have been using my chanel lambskin bags and lv mono bags for the last several years and i was perfectly happy with them..never even thought i should check for wear and tear or that lambskin is delicate or lv untreated leather will develop patina etc.. i used to truly enjoy my bags.. since starting watching youtube and following purseforum, i started noticing the wear and tear that happened to the bag over the years of using it!!! So, is more knowledge always good? Before all these social knowledge, i used to buy what i enjoyed without thinking abt resale value or wear and tear.. and now every my purchase seems to be driven by that.. how do we really enjoy the bags then :smile:

I bought two Chanels recently and neither of them was perfect. Then I had an opportunity to compare two Birkins and I still found something wrong with both of them. If you are looking for imperfections, you are going to find them. I just grabbed one Birkin and was happy I have it.
Re: Chanel, the only time I returned a bag was because it had scratched up CC metal logo on front. I do not tolerate when bags look used while being straight from the store.