Chanel's Abysmal RTW Quality

I went to pick up my skirt from alterations and noticed the silver part of the button was missing. They ordered a new button from Paris but I was rather surprised.
Didn’t the skirt come with an extra button? I’ve heard ordering extra buttons from Paris can take a very long time.

Didn’t the skirt come with an extra button? I’ve heard ordering extra buttons from Paris can take a very long time.
Yes it did, it was in the hang tag. I was in a rush (thinking I was only picking up) so I don't really recall why waiting for a button from Paris sounded like the more reasonable solution, although they didn't mention how long it would take. Well that was June 7th and I haven't recieved an update yet, so confirming it takes long!

Yes it did, it was in the hang tag. I was in a rush (thinking I was only picking up) so I don't really recall why waiting for a button from Paris sounded like the more reasonable solution, although they didn't mention how long it would take. Well that was June 7th and I haven't recieved an update yet, so confirming it takes long!
I hope the button comes in for you. I had a current season button issue as well. The wait was around a month, only to find they couldn't get them after all. I given the option to replace. (Mine came with the wrong buttons in the hang tag.)

Designer brands are not always synonymous with luxury quality, and most of us neglect to recognize this difference. CHANEL's ready-to-wear range is huge and spans across various categories; I've seen both pieces of superior and inferior quality.

I definitely agree with the polyblend jumpers, however, no brand is immune to cutting corners. For instance, Loro Piana's knitwear has also gotten noticeably thinner over the years, and Hermès has allegedly run into problems with a recent batch of togo leathers.

The true luxury difference lies in aftersale service. I reckon if you bring the pieces to the boutique, they will try to remedy the issue (replace a brooch, resew a button, etc.).

Even my newest jackets are vintage now so I cannot comment on newer pieces, I am very sad to hear not everything is top-notch. I always think of Chanel RTW as investment, I can't fault anything in my wardrobe. We all have to be very discerning and refuse to buy items that are not up to the standards at this price-point.

Last edited:
I can't afford their RTW so I can't say anything about their RTW quality, but I recently bought a scarf. It was advertised as "cashmere scarf" but it turns out it's mostly wool with 8% of cashmere. I'm speechless!

View attachment 5427378

:annoyed:

I am point-blank refusing to buy man-made fibres and blends from any luxury brand, shell, lining or trim. Why should we, when we can buy pure wool, even cashmere and wool blends from the high-street? I'm sure if it was advertised correctly you wouldn't be annoyed, I love wool, but when did 'with cashmere' or 'plus cashmere' turn into 'cashmere', I am disappointed for you, 8% is far too low to use that term, it's really misleading.

I hope the button comes in for you. I had a current season button issue as well. The wait was around a month, only to find they couldn't get them after all. I given the option to replace. (Mine came with the wrong buttons in the hang tag.)
Thank you, the button did come! I picked up my skirt about a month after the order. Although it may have arrived earlier as my SA apologized that she had been late to call me.

:annoyed:

I am point-blank refusing to buy man-made fibres and blends from any luxury brand, shell, lining or trim. Why should we, when we can buy pure wool, even cashmere and wool blends from the high-street? I'm sure if it was advertised correctly you wouldn't be annoyed, I love wool, but when did 'with cashmere' or 'plus cashmere' turn into 'cashmere', I am disappointed for you, 8% is far too low to use that term, it's really misleading.
The amount of viscose in Chanel RTW this year would make you faint. :-s

Chanel RTW is far superior to most other brands in my opinion, design, cut and finishing, yes some items are delicate and are created with the intention of very few uses, you’re not going to keep dry cleaning over and over again a glittered CC logo cardigan are you?

I personally don’t purchase with the expectation it’s going to last me years simply because the collections refresh so quickly. It may be different if you are purchasing a classic jacket once in your life but for those who shop the boutiques often there’s no way our wardrobes could hold such a back catalogue of items Unless you have a huge closet to hoard items in.