Chanel's Abysmal RTW Quality

Diamandis

Aug 30, 2019
I recently came back from a trip to Florence and Milan with my girl friends. Everyone was basically wearing a full chanel wardrobe (brand new, just came out of packaging) because a lot of us had done some shopping in Paris right before the trip. The very first day one of my friends wore a pearl applique sweater out, two of the pearls came off. On that same day, the clasp of the brooch that came with another friend's brand new jacket broke and fell off while we were having lunch.

You would think that a brand that charges prices similar quality-focused brands like Loro Piana would have a high standard of quality control, but it's becoming more apparent that the brand doesn't care so long as they can continue riding off its name. Not to mention a lot of their tweed and sweater material these days comes from a poly blend.

I recently came back from a trip to Florence and Milan with my girl friends. Everyone was basically wearing a full chanel wardrobe (brand new, just came out of packaging) because a lot of us had done some shopping in Paris right before the trip. The very first day one of my friends wore a pearl applique sweater out, two of the pearls came off. On that same day, the clasp of the brooch that came with another friend's brand new jacket broke and fell off while we were having lunch.

You would think that a brand that charges prices similar quality-focused brands like Loro Piana would have a high standard of quality control, but it's becoming more apparent that the brand doesn't care so long as they can continue riding off its name. Not to mention a lot of their tweed and sweater material these days comes from a poly blend.
I can't afford their RTW so I can't say anything about their RTW quality, but I recently bought a scarf. It was advertised as "cashmere scarf" but it turns out it's mostly wool with 8% of cashmere. I'm speechless!

286684814_10224902338738626_341077818090940443_n.jpg

I haven't bought clothing in years, but my old stuff held up -- I'm guessing their standards have slipped, like with the bags.

Also, I used to love the long necklaces (that you can wrap around twice) but the newer ones look so wonky to my eyes!

I don't know about the rtw, but I am having the most difficult and stressful time just to get one dream handbag. I had to return two because of quality issues and trying to be patient for a good piece to come around.

I feel like quality decline happens across almost all brands in almost all industries. If you think about it, everything we buy now is not as good as before, luxury or non-luxury. I bought a pair of UGG shoes a few months ago and they are half as thick as my 8 year old ones. I was surprised, but it is what is. Car parts nowadays break quicker because they use plastic instead of metal to cut the cost. Winter coats nowadays don't feel as good as they were years ago as fabrics feel cheaper and have less filling, also to cut the cost. Even music nowadays doesn't have the same quality as music in the 80s or 90s... But what else can we do?

Talking about luxury brands, I am sure it's the same with LV, Gucci, YSL... But it's sad that with the huge amount of money we spend, they can't improve their quality control. I mean how hard is it? I can't even imagine :shocked:

I feel like quality decline happens across almost all brands in almost all industries. If you think about it, everything we buy now is not as good as before, luxury or non-luxury. I bought a pair of UGG shoes a few months ago and they are half as thick as my 8 year old ones. I was surprised, but it is what is. Car parts nowadays break quicker because they use plastic instead of metal to cut the cost. Winter coats nowadays don't feel as good as they were years ago as fabrics feel cheaper and have less filling, also to cut the cost. Even music nowadays doesn't have the same quality as music in the 80s or 90s... But what else can we do?

Talking about luxury brands, I am sure it's the same with LV, Gucci, YSL... But it's sad that with the huge amount of money we spend, they can't improve their quality control. I mean how hard is it? I can't even imagine :shocked:

Agreed - its a shame that the prices have steeply increased while the quality has gone in the reverse direction!