What's your unpopular opinion on luxury shopping?

In my opinion, luxury shopping is DEAD right now. Some people don’t mind jumping through hoops to spend money but I’m out. I’m not waiting in line, I’m not making an appointment to come to your store and realize you have no stock, I’m not getting on your vague list….I’m not working hard to spend my own money. Really great Sales Associates are few and far between these days (some still exist), loyalty doesn’t pay anymore, quality is declining and the experience…..the luxury experience is DEAD. It has a lot to do with the current climate in the world and definitely in the US but there was a time when the door was opened, you were greeted, you were given Champagne, it was a different world, maybe things will change, who knows.
THIS! 100%

I buy "luxury" items because I like the brand or style. If I can get it faster or cheaper online or even slightly used that's the way I'm going to go. I like buying from vuitton.com, if and when they have what I want in stock. The few times I've been in actual stores I've been very disappointed with the service and with the selection of items. If you're going to have a luxury brand at least produce enough of your new items for people who want them to buy them. I'm not standing in line and begging someone to sell me their $2,000 handbag.

In my opinion, luxury shopping is DEAD right now. Some people don’t mind jumping through hoops to spend money but I’m out. I’m not waiting in line, I’m not making an appointment to come to your store and realize you have no stock, I’m not getting on your vague list….I’m not working hard to spend my own money. Really great Sales Associates are few and far between these days (some still exist), loyalty doesn’t pay anymore, quality is declining and the experience…..the luxury experience is DEAD. It has a lot to do with the current climate in the world and definitely in the US but there was a time when the door was opened, you were greeted, you were given Champagne, it was a different world, maybe things will change, who knows.
Just seeing this, but agree 100 percent. At my closest big mall, there are lines and appointments at NM, LV, H, Cartier, Gucci, etc. Not interested. And they probably don't have what I want.

If I want something, I would text/ email my SA and ask her to keep an eye out for me and let me know when I can go in and pick it up. Simple and we don’t waste each other’s time.
When I go in I would just get what I want and that’s that. I don’t see why ‘luxury’ shopping should be any different.

If I want something, I would text/ email my SA and ask her to keep an eye out for me and let me know when I can go in and pick it up. Simple and we don’t waste each other’s time.
When I go in I would just get what I want and that’s that. I don’t see why ‘luxury’ shopping should be any different.
I think people are saying that even with a pre-arranged appointment and items we wish to buy, we must wait in a line outside the store until our SA is ready for us. To be relegated to a line even with an appointment is annoying. And the lines also prevent/inhibit one's wish merely to window shop to see what's new and what we might like to buy.

I think people are saying that even with a pre-arranged appointment and items we wish to buy, we must wait in a line outside the store until our SA is ready for us. To be relegated to a line even with an appointment is annoying. And the lines also prevent/inhibit one's wish merely to window shop to see what's new and what we might like to buy.
Problem is when everyone wants SA to spend 2 hours serving them coffee and champagne with chats then this is what happens.
I had an appointment with my SA once and had to wait for an hour because she had a client with her that was shopping for a middle eastern client. Despite telling him that she had an appointment with me he and his client on the phone was there for AGES and I ended up waiting for AGES
Imagine if everyone wanted the Turkish carpet shop treatment :shocked:

Reactions: Alienza and lulilu
Problem is when everyone wants SA to spend 2 hours serving them coffee and champagne with chats then this is what happens.
I had an appointment with my SA once and had to wait for an hour because she had a client with her that was shopping for a middle eastern client. Despite telling him that she had an appointment with me he and his client on the phone was there for AGES and I ended up waiting for AGES
Imagine if everyone wanted the Turkish carpet shop treatment :shocked:
I never understood people who want this "luxury experience" with, like you said, coffee, champagne, sweets, etc. I just want to make my purchase and leave. I have coffee and champagne at home.

I make an appt; am on time. My SA texts me if he is running late; and I ask to make sure we don’t run over timewise. I am fortunate that I can make an appt for slow times during the week, bc neither my SA or I like to be rushed. I dont have a problem with waiting a reasonable amount of time bc sometimes things happen, but I’ve never had to wait on line. waiting on line is not luxury. Sometimes when a few friends and I go jewelry shopping, my SA will offer to cater, but i dont often accept. I particularly don’t think it’s a good idea for RTW, silks or delicate items to be tried on. I am clumsy and would honestly be afraid of spills. The one time I ran a bit over and made my SA late for another client was chanel RTW, and I apologized.

Last edited:
Reactions: lill_canele
I never understood people who want this "luxury experience" with, like you said, coffee, champagne, sweets, etc. I just want to make my purchase and leave. I have coffee and champagne at home.
Lol I am the same. I choose the item I want to buy online, go to the store to try it on, pay then leave then go to a cafe to drink coffee and read a book :lol:. The longer I stay in the store, the more things I want to buy.

I used to be a SA for an italian leather goods brand and my unpopular opinion is the behaviour of some customers, I worked retail while being a single parent and going to uni, I am also a minority in this country so I have experienced from polite, respectful exchanges to the “ I pay your salary therefore I can treat you as I want to”
Not the experience I was expecting