Dooney rehab thread

Hi there! I just got this terribly mistreat D&B at a yard sale for $25. More than I wanted to pay, but if nothing else I can repurpose the material and hardware. It obviously needs a good condition and clean (thankfully no odors) and color touch up, but in what order? Given the condition, do I condition and then clean or clean and then condition?

Attachments

• 659AB982-FE4C-4B09-95EA-B18C859BF587.jpeg
    659AB982-FE4C-4B09-95EA-B18C859BF587.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 20
  • C1666A44-0A4B-444E-A018-84F08699B0E8.jpeg
    C1666A44-0A4B-444E-A018-84F08699B0E8.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 20
  • A428A1EF-EA49-4F43-B57A-AA2C23314A1E.jpeg
    A428A1EF-EA49-4F43-B57A-AA2C23314A1E.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4B9159A1-FF0F-4AFF-8DB5-0E728758CF99.jpeg
    4B9159A1-FF0F-4AFF-8DB5-0E728758CF99.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 1224039A-FE86-400A-AEC4-EC9BEF825F44.jpeg
    1224039A-FE86-400A-AEC4-EC9BEF825F44.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 37E90488-D1C5-463E-AFD4-E4145E9E372E.jpeg
    37E90488-D1C5-463E-AFD4-E4145E9E372E.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 18
Every rehab thread/video I've seen starts with a thorough cleaning of the inside and
outside of the handbag. And this makes sense to me.... you want to remove all the dirt, etc.
before you add conditioning products. Not only will the conditioning products trap the
dirt/germs, but cleaning the bag after conditioning will just mean one more layer to remove
when you clean.
Good luck. It's an attractive handbag.

Every rehab thread/video I've seen starts with a thorough cleaning of the inside and
outside of the handbag. And this makes sense to me.... you want to remove all the dirt, etc.
before you add conditioning products. Not only will the conditioning products trap the
dirt/germs, but cleaning the bag after conditioning will just mean one more layer to remove
when you clean.
Good luck. It's an attractive handbag.
Thank you, that definitely makes sense. I just worry about drying it out, but I think the damage is mostly just that - damage, more than dried out leather.

My questions are for Vintage All Weather Leather bags (care and maintenance for the leather piping trim and leather strap).
1. What is your preferred conditioning product?
2. Should I only condition the areas trim/piping that looks dry/worn or should I be conditioning the entire trim as a preventative measure?
Thanks

My questions are for Vintage All Weather Leather bags (care and maintenance for the leather piping trim and leather strap).
1. What is your preferred conditioning product?
2. Should I only condition the areas trim/piping that looks dry/worn or should I be conditioning the entire trim as a preventative measure?
Thanks
I condition everything. My favorites are Leather CPR and Blackrocks Leather n Rich. The Blackrocks will protect it and add a bit of shine.

Reactions: Jacynthe
I condition everything. My favorites are Leather CPR and Blackrocks Leather n Rich. The Blackrocks will protect it and add a bit of shine.
Very helpful, Thank you!

Another question I have deals with the brass hardware on the side of the purse that helps hold the strap.(the peg portion came out of the post). I can push it back in, but it keeps coming off. Any suggestions are welcome.

FB9A5BB3-4DB6-4AF0-9D6F-0319ADAA5832.jpeg

I'm new to rehab-ing purses and in need of help! I purchased a second-hand All Weather Essex bag, which has an off color patch in the front-right side (see photos). I'm not sure if it's a stain of some sort (maybe oil?) or the color wore down or something else...

I've already cleaned, conditioned, and polished the purse.

I fell in love with this bag but feel at a loss since it is near perfection except for this one flaw.

What should I do to fix this patch? 8DE17A20-28A4-4D55-9A45-115F3CBF6B8A.jpegFCFF446B-1DF8-4209-A965-0452D9404074.jpeg

Reactions: Jacynthe
I'm new to rehab-ing purses and in need of help! I purchased a second-hand All Weather Essex bag, which has an off color patch in the front-right side (see photos). I'm not sure if it's a stain of some sort (maybe oil?) or the color wore down or something else...

I've already cleaned, conditioned, and polished the purse.

I fell in love with this bag but feel at a loss since it is near perfection except for this one flaw.

What should I do to fix this patch? View attachment 5582092View attachment 5582093
Paint or dye. I believe Meltonian works pretty good on AWL.

Reactions: Tilis and Jacynthe
I revived a vintage Essex bag (picked up at a local thrift) and the leather was so brittle the Dooney hang tag tore after a few uses of the bag. Thankfully I noticed it was torn before it fell off in a parking lot somewhere and got lost. a

Does anyone have suggestions on where to find a replacement leather loop? I could use the old one as a pattern, but not quite sure where to buy a tiny scrap of thin leather. Shoe repair shop perhaps?

I revived a vintage Essex bag (picked up at a local thrift) and the leather was so brittle the Dooney hang tag tore after a few uses of the bag. Thankfully I noticed it was torn before it fell off in a parking lot somewhere and got lost. a

Does anyone have suggestions on where to find a replacement leather loop? I could use the old one as a pattern, but not quite sure where to buy a tiny scrap of thin leather. Shoe repair shop perhaps?
Do you have a Tandy leather shop near you? https://tandyleather.com/ Yes, a shoe repair shop might. You might be able to get something on etsy.

Reactions: Jacynthe and Tilis

If you can find the right color, Joann sells small pieces of fairly thin leather.

Reactions: Tilis
Question for rehabbing an AWL D&B: which do you prefer, a bag that needs TLC with the leather (dry, scuffs), but has a good shape, OR one where the leather is in great shape, but the bag needs to be reshaped? I am about to buy a vintage AWL bag where the leather is in great condition, but the bag is a bit flattened from storage (flap crossbody style). Thoughts?

And what is the best way to reshape? I always dunk my vintage Coach, but have read that is not as good with AWL.

so i’ve googled myself into oblivion - does anyone know to to reshape a vintage awl bag - I bought one sone time ago and can’t seem to make the sides stand up straight on their own - I really want to use it but can’t carry it as is .. tyi!

Not a full rehab, but I have two barely used Emerson Shannon totes. They're clean, but could use some conditioning. Google isn't turning up care directions for me. I'm thinking Apple, just wanted to check if anyone has experience or recommendations. Thanks!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6