"The Rich New York Women Who Love Their Fake Birkins" article in The Cut - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this simultaneously fascinating and repellent.

Reddit's RepLadies: Would You Get a Fake Birkin From China?

This line really got me: “That way, my husband doesn’t get mad at me, because I’m not really spending real money.” :shocked:

This is quite an article. Lots of comments besides the one you quote were beyond.
At the end of the day, I'd rather have one authentic Hermes, Chanel, LV or Gucci than
a closetful of fakes to impress their so called circle of friends...

Makes me wonder if these "rich women" are truly moneyed..or just "posers". 10% of a $30K bag is still $3,000! I would think that to be rich and maintain it, you got to be smart too! I don't think a rich and smart person would spend $3K for a replica (worst is if they buy a lot..then the amount is even higher!). Also, in most countries, if you are caught with counterfeit items, you may be fined and held by Customs. It doesn't make sense that the genuinely uber-rich (who usually travel frequently for business, pleasure, or both) would risk that!

I got the feeling that these ladies weren’t so much buying tons of fakes to impress their friends at how many bags they have…but rather it’s a competition to see who can get “the best” fakes.

That too... but to have many is certainly impressive in that particular circle..
It's show & tell of a different magnitude & sadly smoke & mirrors at the end of the day..
It's the thrill of the chase to see who gets the best fakes & how many they can have..

Last edited:
Fakes are Fakes. It can never replace the original. Would never spend a penny buying a replica..
I originally saw this article shared on Instagram and I replied to the OP's comment that while she doesn't excuse it, she understands why people are buying replicas. I commented that I couldn't understand it, because the only people these RepLadies are "sticking it to" are the women and children who are toiling in sweatshops as victims of hunan trafficking and other abuses. There are no "victimless" crimes.

And I do worry that Fashionphile, TRR, and Rebag are under-equipped to deal with the superfakes, and that they're getting passed on to the unsuspecting or undereducated consumers who buy pre-loved.

For these women it's all about the perception of having "luxury" bags, rather than owning something luxurious. If you want the look it's easy to find a contemporary brand that is similar. This group is willing to pay factories who potentially employ victims of sex trafficking, children or who knows, for bragging rights and social cache. It's pathetic and disgusting.

For these women it's all about the perception of having "luxury" bags, rather than owning something luxurious. If you want the look it's easy to find a contemporary brand that is similar. This group is willing to pay factories who potentially employ victims of sex trafficking, children or who knows, for bragging rights and social cache. It's pathetic and disgusting.
They would do well to remember what Hermès artistic director Pierre-Alexis Dumas said his grandfather instilled in him, "Luxury is that which can be repaired." Try taking your superfake back for a repair or spa treatment in fifteen years...

They would do well to remember what Hermès artistic director Pierre-Alexis Dumas said his grandfather instilled in him, "Luxury is that which can be repaired." Try taking your superfake back for a repair or spa treatment in fifteen years...

After sales service, yes that is the reason why I start my journey with Hermes and appreciate it more as a whole as compare to other luxury brands. I may not be rich but still can afford when manage finance and spending wisely. Recently sent 1997 Vintage K28 back to Paris for repair and happy with the quotation too :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.