Mask mandate expires for US flights!

Finally some normalcy! I'm so tired of wearing it!

But I will say, not wearing one feels so weird to me, almost like I'm unclothed, ha! And the lingering "what if" fear of not wearing comes to mind. Like, "what if I don't wear it and catch it?"

Hopefully soon things return to somewhat normal and simpler times!

My close friend who is immunocompromised had to emergency fly out today to be with her son getting a transplant, himself now an immunocompromised person. Her first flight in 2 plus years. It was nerve wracking enough for her to go, and now mid-trip she knows she has to contend with another packed flight ahead, but with unmasked folks. She will mask, yes, but her risk has gone up because of it. Decidedly not great for the immunocompromised and for those too young for vaccination. This is still an airborne, highly transmissible virus with uncertain to terrible outcomes for a subset who are susceptible.

Corporations aren't going to prioritize public health goals...it is known. Hence no surprise.

Last edited:
My close friend who is immunocompromised had to emergency fly out today to be with her son getting a transplant, himself now an immunocompromised person. Her first flight in 2 plus years. It was nerve wracking enough for her to go, and now mid-trip she knows she has to contend with another packed flight ahead, but with unmasked folks. She will mask, yes, but her risk has gone up because of it. Decidedly not great for the immunocompromised and for those too young for vaccination. This is still an airborne, highly transmissible virus with uncertain to terrible outcomes for a subset who are susceptible.

Corporations aren't going to prioritize public health goals...it is known. Hence no surprise.

This is a really good point I totally forgot about. I do think that we should all take more precautions and mask up to protect immunocompromised people like your friends.

I hope they are safe and healthy!

I haven’t flown much, just once and the flight was odd time where it wasn’t full luckily but still wore mask.

I probably will continue to even with the lift. I’m also looking to fly more but am buying insurance or choosing the more $ version with the ability to cancel and get full refund, if need be.

i just got another email from the company building my bed. They’re hopeful they can stay on track (already delayed 2x) but no guarantees with the lockdowns…

I've worn masks on pubic transportation pre-pandemic (was never a fan of hearing someone cough/sneeze on a train or in a plane when I'm trying to sleep).
I've worn masks in 110F + 80% humidity in rooms with no air conditioning while in surgery pre-pandemic (medical missions).
The majority of patients who come into my center are immuno-compromised.

It has never been that much of an issue for me. I just do what I need to do. :smile:

Not a ruling I agree with. I will continue to wear masks. My mother was immuno-compromised and passed away from COVID which she contracted from her dialysis center. I have a 28 year old 1st cousin who also died of COVID, plus a few other distant relatives who died or barely survived COVID. I know people who have caught COVID even when vaccinated, but yeah they went maskless at the time they caught it. It saddens me that some people just don’t want to wear masks and feel that it is such an inconvenience and that it is their right to choose. It definitely contradicts with the need to test negative for COVID for flights back to the US. With this new ruling, I am worried about catching COVID on the way to Europe, since I have to take two flights stopping in the East Coast on my way there.

Not a ruling I agree with. I will continue to wear masks. My mother was immuno-compromised and passed away from COVID which she contracted from her dialysis center. I have a 28 year old 1st cousin who also died of COVID, plus a few other distant relatives who died or barely survived COVID. I know people who have caught COVID even when vaccinated, but yeah they went maskless at the time they caught it. It saddens me that some people just don’t want to wear masks and feel that it is such an inconvenience and that it is their right to choose. It definitely contradicts with the need to test negative for COVID for flights back to the US. With this new ruling, I am worried about catching COVID on the way to Europe, since I have to take two flights stopping in the East Coast on my way there.
You still have to test for COVID? But you dont need a mask now. That makes no sense!