Buying Cartier Cheap While Traveling

Tax is included in the price in Europe. The tax refund % depends on the individual country, E.g Germany is 19%, France is 20%. You should also factor in fees incurred when going through the refund process which is ~5%. Also mention prices vary from country to country (I noted that prices in Portugal are higher than Germany) so best to check on the country’s website.
Thank you so much!

Well, considering the amounts I shared above, if you bought it in Portugal and got a VAT refund, it would be about $7,100 after the refund. If you bought the same bracelet in California, it would be roughly $7,900 with tax. So it's a fairly big difference, no?

No ... as you just stated CA is with tax included. Unless you are defrauding the US tax system and "forget" to pay use tax you are right to be better off in Portugal if you're not caught.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicole0612
Well, considering the amounts I shared above, if you bought it in Portugal and got a VAT refund, it would be about $7,100 after the refund. If you bought the same bracelet in California, it would be roughly $7,900 with tax. So it's a fairly big difference, no?
Remember you will pay customs fees when you re-enter the USA, so that will add a bit back on.

Reactions: QuelleFromage

Here’s my issue - it’s the going through customs with waaay over the 800 individual /1600 couple + 800 per child limit on tax free goods that causes me to sweat when going through customs on arriving back into the states. Sometimes I think it’s not worth the money you save.